THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Ruger RSM vs Sako Model 85 Brown Bear

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger RSM vs Sako Model 85 Brown Bear Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Calibre 416 Rigby.
Please share your thoughts.

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the RSM if for no other reason than the known ejection problems with the Sako 85 action.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I love the RSM, and it's heavy for caliber - which may be a choice point, either way

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Never had a Sako 85; but loved my 375 RSM. Never should have sold it.

RSM all the way, just reprofile that squared off stock and do a trigger job. Here are pics of my factory RSM stock that I redid - recontoured, oil finish, and real checkering.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lZEtKD8T7eduPEJn1

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 6 Sako M85s. What are the "known ejection problems"? I have never had a problem with any of mine. Have any of you actually had these problems or is it just an internet rumor? Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Just do a google search on "Sako 85 ejection problems" and you'll see reports of ejected cases hitting the scope and falling back into the action. The problem seems to stem from the ejector being located in the six o'clock position. From what I've read it seems to occur more frequently in longer cartridges then the shorter .308 length ones.

A buddy of mine purchased one of these rifles in 7mm mag. He outfitted it with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 one inch scope in Sako low ring mounts. Pretty common combination. The ejected cases were hitting the bottom of the scope body and falling back into the action and jamming things up. He contacted Beretta, who own Sako, and was told to try higher rings. This was unacceptable to him so he sold the rifle. It's a known problem which Beretta won't do anything to correct.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Never had a Sako 85; but loved my 375 RSM. Never should have sold it.

RSM all the way, just reprofile that squared off stock and do a trigger job. Here are pics of my factory RSM stock that I redid - recontoured, oil finish, and real checkering.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lZEtKD8T7eduPEJn1

Nice looking rifle! I've had mine for 20 years or so but just this month steamed out a bunch on dents in the stock, filled the grain, gave it an oil finish, etc. Mine also has a red recoil pad (wish Ruger had built them that way!) and a jeweled bolt and mag follower. Got a bison and a couple of brown bears with it but stopped using it about 10 years ago when I built a 3.5lb lighter stainless/synthetic 375 but it just doesn't have the same character as the RSM. Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Labman, thanks for the reply. I have M85s in .204, 7x64, .270WSM, .308, .300 Win, and .375 H&H. I have not had this problem with any of them. However, some of mine are short cartridges. I also have a RSM in .458 Lott that works fine. I have been very happy with it. I was never a fan of the RSM in .375 because it is much heavier than necessary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve never owned either of these rifles but I do shot big bores. I would go for the RSM just for its extra weight. I like my heavy kickers to be a bit on the heavy side and the Sakos are just too light in my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id always opt for a Ruger RSM, it smells like Africa and its set up for Africa and Alaska by design..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a M85 in 300 win mag and yes sometimes the brass does bounce back in the chamber. I have a RSM in 416 Rigby, yes it is heavy but that makes the recoil manageable. Mine is an early model without the barrel band. It does have a chunk of iron in the forearm that you can remove. Only one screw holds it in place.

Posts: 702 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have RSM in 416 and currently have a Brown bear in 416. Out of the box, the Sako has the better trigger ~3#'s and breaks clean and better feeling/handling stock (for me) plus the shorter barrel. Ruger, stoutly built, integral ring mount is solid. On my 85XL I run Sako Optilock lows with a Steiner 1-6...no ejection issues. Suspect it depends on which scope combo you run, size of Windage turret etc. yes, maybe a bit finicky but no issue with this combo. Recoil in both about the same when dressed for the field, both more accurate than I. Both feed flat nose solids (CEB's) with ease. Open sights on the Sako are more usable and visible vs the Ruger, so if you shoot irons, a consideration. Either rifle does need a proper recoil pad (Decelerators 1' on mine). My verdict was the Sako took less work "out of the box" to get her ready for the field. Appears many RSM's are showing up for sale, so a good time, prices have risen though. Brown Bears, since discontinued, are hard to find, harder to find at their last MSRP, many inflated etc. Attention to the details important to you will get you to your end point with either rifle.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only one is controlled round feed I believe. And I’ve had .300 wm cases bounce into action on sako due to location of ejector on bolt. Which excludes it from DG work although very accurate. RSM my choice

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The RSM is a CRF from the mag, but very easy to toss one on the rails and single feed

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Gents for your honest opinions.

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own around (10) RSMs in 375, 416 & 458. I really like them.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ruger RSM in 416 Rigby. I like it a lot. I've used it to take a couple elephants and some buffalo. I've never had a single feeding problem,..no jams.

The only thing that I don't like about it is the weight. I have one of the early models with a heavy barrel.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote