THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    CALIBER FOR MULTISPECIES HUNT

Moderators: jeffeosso

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
CALIBER FOR MULTISPECIES HUNT Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently sold my app and have more time than I know what to do with, so I booked a multi-species, multi-continent hunt. I'd like to buy just one rifle in a caliber that will work for everything on my list and anything else that I see along the way that can be shot.

Some things to consider:

I'm only five feet tall and not very strong.

I can't see very well, so I may need a scope or something.

I will buy off the shelf ammo cuz I'm likely to blow myself up if I try to load my own.

I'm allergic to leather, wood, and synthetic oil.

I could hire a guy to carry my gun if advisable.

Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you're a perfect candidate for a 450 Rigby or 470 Nitro.

popcorn

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.505 BOOM

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010
One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A compound bow and carbon fiber arrows.

Seriously, a 416 Rigby. And when you have it fitted, make sure they put a recoil reducer in the butt stock.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
I recently sold my app and have more time than I know what to do with, so I booked a multi-species, multi-continent hunt. I'd like to buy just one rifle in a caliber that will work for everything on my list and anything else that I see along the way that can be shot.

Some things to consider:

I will buy off the shelf ammo cuz I'm likely to blow myself up if I try to load my own.

Thanks for the advice.

Even easier, a 416 Ruger. 416Rigbys are most useful for handloaders.

400 grain bullets for dangerous game, 300 or 350 grain for non-dangerous.

On your signature:
The proverb may not find favor with all: "the fleas from a thousand of your camels have already drunk your enemy's blood." So a riddle for you: How did God lose the "glorious prophecy" of aS-Saf (61).6? It is/was nowhere to be found. Ever.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
donttroll

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will I guess it is time for The Perfect Bullet Company

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=639101262#639101262

To announce the Perfect Rifle company who for the right amount of cash and with an undetermined delivery time well deliver to you sometime the perfect Nano rifle that uses the perfect Nano bullet.

Just PM me and I'll let you know how much cash to send me and when I receive it I'll start work on your perfect Nano rifle.

Not only that but for double the price I well start work on your matching pair of perfect Nano rifles.

Delivery some time later.

Cash only and large amounts.

The New Perfect Bullet and Rifle company

Remember a Nano rifle just like a Nano bullet are perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 RUM available....load 350r bullets for Buff and other large animals, and 235-260r for Plains Game. It's an HS Precision and is NIB and $1,300+ under MSRP.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you're located, but a plane ticket to my location would not be much of an outlay, considering the probable cost of getting the wrong rifle and having to return it. I own just about every heavy game rifle there is, and would be happy to let you try them all out on my home range, so you don't have to speculate as to which one fits you best and which one you can shoot the best with. PM me if you're interested.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
donttroll

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or maybe you should just try some version of this: http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/8341035712

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
donttroll

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Or maybe you should just try some version of this: http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/8341035712

What's with all the funky machining on the bolt?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What's with all the funky machining on the bolt?

Saves him a whole half a oz or so not nearly as nice as a perfect Nano rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why someone would want to shoot a 5 pound 11 ounce rifle chambered for .416 Ruger escapes me.
According to my calculations, with the load mentioned, that rifle would generate 79 ft/lbs of recoil energy and 29 fps recoil velocity. Pretty close to my limit, even when I was young and fit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why someone would want to shoot a 5 pound 11 ounce rifle chambered for .416 Ruger escapes me.
According to my calculations, with the load mentioned, that rifle would generate 79 ft/lbs of recoil energy and 29 fps recoil velocity. Pretty close to my limit, even when I was young and fit.

Sounds pretty brutal to me too. I'm old and fragile and don't need to get beat up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know where you're located, but a plane ticket to my location would not be much of an outlay, considering the probable cost of getting the wrong rifle and having to return it. I own just about every heavy game rifle there is, and would be happy to let you try them all out on my home range, so you don't have to speculate as to which one fits you best and which one you can shoot the best with. PM me if you're interested.

Extremely generous of you. Might take you up on that at some point.

Thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Some things to consider:

Thanks for the advice.

Come back when you have a serious question.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
This is another bsflag post by this troll. donttroll

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
quote:

Some things to consider:

Thanks for the advice.

Come back when you have a serious question.

George

You mean some narcissistic bullshit like - What caliber do I use for critically endangered non-dangerous game in the rain forest?

rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll carry your RIFLE. You pick up the tab. I'll even call you "BAWANA

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your 5 feet tall and weak, can't see and allergic to wood leather and oil, then stay at home and watch it all on DVD.

YOU CERTAINLY SHOULDNT VENTURE OUT INTO Africa after DG ….

donttroll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
YOU CERTAINLY SHOULDNT VENTURE OUT INTO Africa after DG ….

Got any DVD recommendations? Where did I say I was after DG?

cuckoo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
multi species ,multi continent, calibre for everything????

You are trolling MATE!!!!

Adios

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
multi species ,multi continent, calibre for everything????

You are trolling MATE!!!!

Adios

Trolling? Guess that makes you a squid?

Hasta luego, mackerela.

Cool

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Dopplegangster-

Aside from being a troll, you are a disingenuous individual intent upon spreading FUD who also suffers from a severe reading comprehension deficit.

When you refer to the Bongo as "critically endangered non-dangerous game in the rain forest" you know well that the IUCN classifies only the eastern or mountain bongo of Kenya - which has been closed to all trophy hunting since 1977 - as critically endangered.

The western or lowland Bongo, commonly known as forest Bongo, are, in fact, classified by the same IUCN as near threatened on the conservation status scale. That classification ranks just above least concern , which is the lowest classification where enough data exists to place an animal into the IUCN system. You also know that there are five classifications more serious on their conservation status scale.

So, in conclusion, not only are you a troll but you are also a liar of the worst kind. Why are you on AR? Clearly you have nothing constructive to contribute. And as to "narcissistic bullshit" you should invest in a dictionary, although I'm sure you know bullshit when you smell it; after all, you sling it around AR with abandonment.

Everyone on AR needs to understand what this guy is and, please, donttroll

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Dopplegangster-

Aside from being a troll, you are a disingenuous individual intent upon spreading FUD who also suffers from a severe reading comprehension deficit.

When you refer to the Bongo as "critically endangered non-dangerous game in the rain forest" you know well that the IUCN classifies only the eastern or mountain bongo of Kenya - which has been closed to all trophy hunting since 1977 - as critically endangered.

The western or lowland Bongo, commonly known as forest Bongo, are, in fact, classified by the same IUCN as near threatened on the conservation status scale. That classification ranks just above least concern , which is the lowest classification where enough data exists to place an animal into the IUCN system. You also know that there are five classifications more serious on their conservation status scale.

So, in conclusion, not only are you a troll but you are also a liar of the worst kind. Why are you on AR? Clearly you have nothing constructive to contribute. And as to "narcissistic bullshit" you should invest in a dictionary, although I'm sure you know bullshit when you smell it; after all, you sling it around AR with abandonment.

Everyone on AR needs to understand what this guy is and, please, donttroll

I dunno about any of that stuff you're talkin' about, Lionmilker. I thought we were talkin' about these Bongos:

Anyway, you have it all wrong Bubba, and I really don't want you to have an infarction over this topic so I'll just let you continue on your rants (on my thread) while I go check the dictionary as you suggested.

Hope you sort out your caliber choice, that's gotta be a complex task.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
horse Just another internet commando. donttroll Replying to these idiots only encourages them, so I am done. killpc
1260 posts on AR in less than 45 days? Really?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
horse Just another internet commando. donttroll Replying to these idiots only encourages them, so I am done. killpc
1260 posts on AR in less than 45 days? Really?

Mostly on the political cesspool! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any time you vegetarians wanna waddle on down to the ARPF and roll the dice, I'm sure you'd be entertaining, er welcome. There's a shortage of grazers if ya ask me.

tu2

posted Hide Post
This thread is closed.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001