THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    550 CZ Peep site, like the Lott in Rifle mag
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

550 CZ Peep site, like the Lott in Rifle mag Login/Join

one of us
posted
I did a few search, but didnt come up with anything.

I typically don't see something in a magazine and say...........Oh wow I got to have one. But peep site on the lott by Lon Paul in rifle mag is really nice. Was thinking of doing a lott some day. My guess its a custom. Anybody want to comment on a peep for a CZ. Looks like that one in the mag slides on and has a set under the peep if I had to guess.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,

I've posted a time or two seeking help locating a good peep for a DG rifle w/ an integral base. I've found fault in everything I've looked at until I saw the one you are refering to. I want that rig as well.

It may be something as simple as a leupold ringmount that was machined down w/ a dovetail added for the machined peep. It may be made from scratch. I planned on giving the Paul brothers a phone call on Monday to find out. If I do, I'll ask for you as well. If you beat me to it, ask for me. Thanks.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

I thought about a cut down ringmount of somekind, but not sure. Please do call and see what you can find out. I bet a dollar to a donut that its custom from scratch, which may not be that big a deal. Looks like from the pics it slides over and I would bet it has a set screw under the peep.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
the NECG ruger peep sight fits on the cz.. you have to dnt a hole on the rear bridge... then put a thumbscrew in it..

then you have qd scope and peep

too bad it wont fit in a trapdoor grip cap

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39679 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

it would be a pretty grip cap to fit inside Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the sight made by Lon Paul and have used it on a 500 Jeffrey Lon made.It is a fine sight but it is a custom one .I have one on a rifle Lon made up for me in 9.3x62 , it too works very well.
Richard

rlda07052

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I have a Talley peep on my Brno .450 Rigby. It works just fine.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,

I tried calling Lon Paul w/ the number I had (909-659-2699) but it is no longer valid.

Anyone have a phone number to reach Lon Paul of Tanglewood Ranch Custom Guns in CA?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Called my wife at the University and she found it in 30 seconds. The area code changed to 951. She loves it when I cave in and she bails me out.

Billy, I sent them an email requesting info on the sight.

GaryVA

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
The old 550s had a pop up peep sight. I am looking for an '06 length action for a future build. Packrattusnongratus

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,

They are a custom job. He desctibed them as "bomb-proof" and popular w/ PH's. Right now he's busy installing them on complete custom rifle projects only. I'll get some pics to post.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, thanks for getting the info, I was concerned he was only doing them for rifles he's bulding.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He has a good design. I think this is just the ticket if you are looking for a "bomb proof" peep for an integral base that can be removed for scope. Or, you can remove the sight base and directly dovetail it into the rear bridge for a "bomb proof" permanent installation.

There is more than one way to skin this cat, I'll work on it and share what I get.

Gary

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
anyone have a picture of this Lon Paul peep sight to post?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could find the mag I would scan it, but can't find the magazine, which is nothing new for me, I can't keep up with anything.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can scan it, so, who can I send it to? As far as all the fancy computer stuff is concerned, I'm a complete illiterate when it comes to posting pics and stuff. PM me.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I think this is the rifle you all are referring to. I like to help when I can. I apologize for the image quality, but I took this with a digital camera, not a scanner.

Here goes:

Billy, this is the rifle right? It looks like fairly straight forward dovetail design. My friend z1r did a neat peep sight based on a design in Mark Stratton's book if I'm not mistaken. Machine work like this is all still out of my league, but I'd imagine if you were to stare at it long enough, you'd figure it out.

Glad if I could help,

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex,

Thats it, it can't be that hard to make, wonder if has a set screw or if the action is drilled a tapped.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
windage by set screw, elevation by the grace of god?

I would do it in a spring plunger, like the front sight, to hold it in.

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you were going to set your sight for one load at a fixed point of aim, would it be possible to calculate the necessary height of the peep hole above the bore based on front sight height, peep sight hole diameter, and tragectory?

Or rather, if you knew where the bullet would hit based on the load you were happy with, couldn't you back calculate where the sight should be placed? Granted, the rifle would be limited to that particular load, but it may save some machining if possible.

Sight regulation is something I'm still learning.

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex,

Sight cal is easy, I can cal one to the nats ass and still be 12" low at 50yrs. Smiler

I think I'm going to guess at the next one.

The sight cal on Brownells website is handy too.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,

I have a couple more pics of a different version of his peep on a 500 Jeffery. Can I email them to you to post?

On Shoemaker's Lott in the pics, if you look at the left side of the sight base it looks like a seperate piece that clamps against the left side of the dovetail like a Leupold CZ ringmount. That way the sight base can have a recoil lug to match the lug recess in the receiver to be repeatable.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, email them to me and I will post them

wwdoddiii@yahoo.com

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Posting Pics for Gary

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
what say i make you a "dumby" out of plastic, and you adjust for height..as you can stick epoxy in it and redrill, and them metal?

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

not a bad idea, but think I'll make a beer run instead Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Brockman makes a neat pop up peep that I have on my 416 Rigby. It is spring loaded and is integral to the scope base. Using QD Talley bases you just remove the scope and the peep pops up into position. You might want to give it a look I think it is at http://www.brockmansrifles.com.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Talley make a simple, non-pop up peep sight that will fit his bases? Wouldn't they fit the CZ? Maybe I'm wrong. The website says they are back ordered until July 2005.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Here is the Talley Sight. I really like it.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Newguy,

I like the Talley peep but didn't know it fit the CZ 550 dovetail. Are you saying it does fit? How is it located on the bridge, does it engage the CZ lug or do you need to modify the CZ bridge?

Thanks,
Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:
Newguy,

I like the Talley peep but didn't know it fit the CZ 550 dovetail. Are you saying it does fit? How is it located on the bridge, does it engage the CZ lug or do you need to modify the CZ bridge?

Thanks,
Gary

I second all those questions. I'm very interested, as I consider aperture sights superior to rear open sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP,

I'll contact Talley on Monday and see what they say.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:
HP,

I'll contact Talley on Monday and see what they say.

Gary

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP,

I phoned Talley. The tech said their peep will not fit the CZ bridge. Said there is not enough material to re-machine to fit the 19mm dovetail or to mill flat and screw to bridge. Said the only way they knew was to convert the CZ integral dovetail to use their screw on base, then the peep would fit their base. I don't like that idea myself.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like the big dummy I am, I was at my buddies machine shop on friday and forgot to ask him if he would build a CZ peep.

I need to print a pic out and take it to him, he doesnt do email anymore, he says email and internet stuff is the guys that don't have anything to do Smiler He is not doubt old school.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,

Keep me posted. I'll ask my guy when he returns from the Nationals.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
We're more than a year hence, and I'm about ready to spend money on this (just ordered a stock and the peep will be next, for my .416).
What are the latest experiences? Anybody got something good worked out?

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah,
Gringo got the beer.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The guy at XS said they are working on one but had no idea when they would hit the market.

I took their high Weaver ghost ring and drilled and tapped it to the CZ bridge. Not removable so to speak. At least there is height and windage adjustment.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Bill, how about a photo of your peep sight set-up?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote