THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    550 CZ Peep site, like the Lott in Rifle mag
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

550 CZ Peep site, like the Lott in Rifle mag Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'll try to remember to post a pic tomorrow or on Friday.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is how I handle the CZ peep issue:

CZ peep solution

I am doing one in the shop right now on another .416 CZ. I changed the dimensions a little on this one to give a little more wiggle room between the scope and peep.

This sight drifts for windage and elevation is controlled with the front sight. It is literally as solid as a rock and a blow that will damage the sight will tear up something else on the rifle first. Tough as hell, as the original I made was for a grizzley guide who is kinda particular about reliability for some reason.

This sight is simple, rugged, and always there and sighted in as soon as you remove the scope.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Marc, I like your solution. Would I be correct in saying that it is a simple dovetail cut on the rear receiver bridge? Where does the peep site come from, or do you make it?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink

I build up the rear bridge by TIG welding and then cut the dovetail. It needs to be longer in order to accomodateth escope. If one does not want a scope, but just a peep, then you can cut a dovetail in the factory bridge.

Th rear bridge addition won't have grooves to match the rest of the bridges, so I mill the grooves off the bridges and then stipple the whole works. I think it looks better than the grooves anyway, so that is why I do not extend the grroves to the new section welded on the rear bridge.

I made the peep from bar stock and then case hardened it. Rock solid and not going anywhere!

I just sent you an email, but was not 100% sure it went out. Please PM me if you did not get it.

Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

On the pictures on the thread you gave the link to, it looks like you have used the factory bridge and groves without the changes you mention. Have you since changed your MO? Or maybe your work is just so nice it's indistinguishable... Wink
I don't have my rifle here (it's at the gunsmith) so I can't form my own opinion, would this set-up fit on the CZ550 bridge without building them up as you describe?

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I inquired of D'Arcy Echols if he could supply a peep sight as I know he has done some on a few Legends. I was curious as to their design, and here is a picture of what it looks like. Nice indeed.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

In your set-up do you have to grind down the standing leaf on the rear sight to provide line of sight to the front?

Chuck, certainly looks nice, but it's getting high again. *My* concern (and that may not be a concern of others at all) is that I stay low. I'm getting a straighter/higher stock because I couldn't get a good contact between cheek and wood, and line up sight at the same time. If I build a peep on top of what looks like a fairly high rear mount, despite the new stock, I may end up with the same problem. I think I will have to drive the new stock down to the gunsmith, rig-up the barreled action and evaluate what needs to be done.

F.

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans, height is going to have something to do with the stock. That base is built to match the drop that stock doesn't have.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Franz-

THe rear bridge is built up quite a bit. I have another CZ in the shop right now that I could measure, but I already welded it. Sorry, but can't tell you exactly how much metal I add behind the rear bridge. I use the mill to get it pretty close to factory rear bridge contour and then file it to final shape.

I do mill off the grooves and stipple both bridges. I could cut grooves on the addition to the rear bridge, and it would actually be easier and take much less time. But I think the grooves look cheap and really like the looks of the stippling after I bead blast it and rust blue it. This is purely a personal preference thing and if some one likes grooves better, that is perfectly OK too.

maybe you can see it closer in this larger pic:

stippled bridges

I can dovetail the factory bridge, but it won't give you enough room for rings. Well, at least with Talleys anyway, as those are the ones I prefer to all others. One option is to mill the rear of the rear ring and make it clear the standing peep. I have milled rings a several time to make them clear various things. You can do that here with no problem. May actually be better in some ways. DEFINITELY faster and less work!!!

On the factory rear sight-I remove the rear sight and then mill off the sight boss pretty close to where I want it. Then attack it with a file and get it contoured like the sides of the barrel. Sand it up and rust blue.