New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa reading ideas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can't seem to get enough of Africa. Have read all of Capsticks books and have "The Horn of the Hunter" on order. I would sppreciate any of your more ideas to help keep my one hunt alive. Thanks much, smoker1 PS watching Saeed's DVD's for the second time.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
While not just hunting, try Monsoon by Wilbur Smith. After that, you'll want to read the rest of his books.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions in this forum:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...rums/a/frm/f/4521043

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
This subject gets brought up regularly in the AR "Books and Videos" forum, located in Other Topics near the bottom of the AR forums menu.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check the book shelf on the( Shakari connection) web site. Susan has a great selection there

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That you very much one and all. smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You'll find several thousand titles and choices here: http://www.shakariconnection.com/bookshelf.html

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Fear No Death by Mark Sullivan. Months in the Sun Ian Naychens.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Fear No Death by Mark Sullivan. Months in the Sun Ian Naychens.
tu2

The Hunting Imperative by Richard Harland

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heat thirst and Ivory as well as Tuskers in the dust by Fred Everette. tu2 +1 for months of the son.

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen....I'm sure I have enough reading to make it through the winter. Thanks again, smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good suggestions. If you like Horn of the Hunter, you might try some other Ruark books like "Something of Value" and "Uhuru." Not hunting per se, but both good, especially the former.

Posts: 10013 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Green Hills

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ron thompson is a must

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to get into it, read the original old-school guys: Raoul Gordon Cumming, William Finaughty, William Charles Baldwin, Frederick Courtney Selous, Arthur Neumann, Arnold Wienholt Hodson, Chauncey Hugh Stigand, William Cornwallis Harris, Denis Lyell, James Sutherland and Owen Letcher.

Get the whole set at Books of Zimbabwe

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Steve (Shakari): Glad to see an occasional post from our long lost! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
While not just hunting, try Monsoon by Wilbur Smith. After that, you'll want to read the rest of his books.

That happened to me about a year before I went in 2007, 30 something more books I love Wilbur Smith's books.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested I have almost all of Wilbur Smith's books for sale....PM and I will send a list....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote