THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Rifled slugs in a rifled barrel..? Should I .....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifled slugs in a rifled barrel..? Should I .....
 Login/Join

posted
I am NEW to shotguns and just bought a new mossberg 500 20 gauge. It has a rifled barrel on it and I was shooing rifled slugs threw it with amazing accuracy. The ammo boxs stated that rifled slugs should be fired in smooth bores and not rifled barrels. My question is should I only fire Non rifled slugs in my rifled barrel shot gun or can I continue to shoot rifled slugs? Why shouldn't you shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel and will it hurt the rifling? Thanks!!

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I've done the same thing in mine with no ill effect,,.50 cal sabots perform much better though,at about the same cost,clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red,

If it shoots well, keep it up. Rifled barrels are generally designed to shoot saboted slugs.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
You should be ok shooting rifled slugs in a rifled bore. The slug is very soft lead. I tested this in a 12ga cantilever scoped bbl. @ 100 yds. Sabots average around 4", rifled slug group was 8" 5 shots. Funny thing was the rifled slug hit higher on the target then the sabots, with the same sight setting, i thought that was strange.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the reasons the slugs are hitting higher on the target is that recoil has a longer time to take effect the slower slug.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
the reasons the slugs are hitting higher on the target is that recoil has a longer time to take effect the slower slug.
true, barrel time/rise can be a factor. I was thinking more on the line of projectile dia. difference. The rifled slug @ .729" and the sabot @ 50 cal. Less air to push going to 100 yds. Both make a difference i guess.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifling on the slugs has little to do with rotating the slug for accuracy .They are there so that the slug can pass through a choke without damaging the choke. Try diffrent slugs and pick the most accurate.