The Accurate Reloading Forums
Rifled slugs in a rifled barrel..? Should I .....

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4511043/m/551103923

07 September 2005, 05:57
Redcat376
Rifled slugs in a rifled barrel..? Should I .....
I am NEW to shotguns and just bought a new mossberg 500 20 gauge. It has a rifled barrel on it and I was shooing rifled slugs threw it with amazing accuracy. The ammo boxs stated that rifled slugs should be fired in smooth bores and not rifled barrels. My question is should I only fire Non rifled slugs in my rifled barrel shot gun or can I continue to shoot rifled slugs? Why shouldn't you shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel and will it hurt the rifling? Thanks!!
07 September 2005, 06:53
claybuster
I've done the same thing in mine with no ill effect,,.50 cal sabots perform much better though,at about the same cost,clay
07 September 2005, 09:11
Lowrider 49
Red,

If it shoots well, keep it up. Rifled barrels are generally designed to shoot saboted slugs.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!
24 September 2005, 19:52
243winxb
You should be ok shooting rifled slugs in a rifled bore. The slug is very soft lead. I tested this in a 12ga cantilever scoped bbl. @ 100 yds. Sabots average around 4", rifled slug group was 8" 5 shots. Funny thing was the rifled slug hit higher on the target then the sabots, with the same sight setting, i thought that was strange.
25 September 2005, 19:28
p dog shooter
the reasons the slugs are hitting higher on the target is that recoil has a longer time to take effect the slower slug.
25 September 2005, 20:59
243winxb
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
the reasons the slugs are hitting higher on the target is that recoil has a longer time to take effect the slower slug.
true, barrel time/rise can be a factor. I was thinking more on the line of projectile dia. difference. The rifled slug @ .729" and the sabot @ 50 cal. Less air to push going to 100 yds. Both make a difference i guess.
26 September 2005, 01:06
mete
The rifling on the slugs has little to do with rotating the slug for accuracy .They are there so that the slug can pass through a choke without damaging the choke. Try diffrent slugs and pick the most accurate.