Find
Notify
Tools

Supersonic Crack Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
If you were down range from a supressed gun and the gun was firing super sonic ammo you hear the crack, we all know that.
But what if the bullet didn't get down to you. What if the bullet hit something before it got that far. Would you still hear the Super Sonic Crack?????

The reason why I ask is if you were to try to kill off a mob of hogs and started with the ones closest to you. Will the ones farther away hear it??
Or are they just hearing the bullet impact?

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the crack takes place at or near the muzzle.. remember, bullets slow down outside of the barrel.. it is somewhat directional, but to answer your question..

yes, it will still be heard... like the guy shooting a shotgun, pointed the other way?

you still hear it

but, with supersonic bullets, the first pig won't hear a thing until AFTER the bullet hits...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso, not sure I agree completely. Would you not also get a crack when the bullet broke the sound barrier "on the way down"? I have distinct memories of driving to the butts at Bisley and hearing the crack of bullets at about the 700-800 yard distance from the shooting line. This has got me thinking!
OK how about this. The shock wave in not a one time event but is continuous, thus the Concorde was banned from supersonic flight over the USA because sonic booms would be continuous). What changes is the angle ie. the position of the observer vis a vis the supersonic object. So, when supersonic, the object will be past you before you hear the "crack". At transonic speeds you will be perpendicular to the object. At subsonic speeds it arrives before the sound does (but no crack). If so, then the pigs will certainly hear the crack, after the bullet (hopefully) hits the first pig. While bullets do slow down, they will still be supersonic for some time, depending on initial velocity.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
Hi Guys,
If you were down range from a supressed gun and the gun was firing super sonic ammo you hear the crack, we all know that.
But what if the bullet didn't get down to you. What if the bullet hit something before it got that far. Would you still hear the Super Sonic Crack?????

The reason why I ask is if you were to try to kill off a mob of hogs and started with the ones closest to you. Will the ones farther away hear it??
Or are they just hearing the bullet impact?

Cheers, John

Peter has it. the crack of the bullet is heard by anything close enough to the bullet to hear a sound of that, whatever it is, magnitude.

I have also spent time in the butts at Bisley and the crack of the bullets going 6 feet overhead is loud enough to need ear-defenders when marking.

Don't forget that there also is a hell of a thump from the bullet hitting the beast in the first place.

The trick with multiples seems to be tactics.

I would think that if one identifies the herd leader and drops her/him out on the spot the others would mill around for a moment in confusion.

With deer I've noticed that a moderated rifle means they don't know where the noise came from and either run with the stricken beast or away from the noise of the bullet hitting it's body. In those circumstances it may be best to shoot the one furthest away from you so the rest run towards rather than away from you.

Deer also seem to stop if one of their herd companions drops/stops. this can be handy if you shoot one towards the front of the herd after the leader has been dropped.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am confused at the question..

once the bullet breaks the sound barrier, there is a noise.. the report and the crack .. that carries on for MILES, regardless if the bullet hit at 1 foot or 200 yards ...

will the pigs farther than impact hear it?

of course they will .. in all directions, but perpendicular to the boom hear the boom most... the report (remember, blanks make noise) isn't dimenished...

let's say you tune down a 308 to 22Mag ..

a 22 mag is still friggin LOUD for 100s of yards...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I would agree with you in the case of unsuppressed rifles but when you have a decent moderator on your barrel the noise of the bullet strike is frequently as loud or louder than the moderated muzzle blast.

A .22 with a good moderator makes a click as the firing pin falls and the next noise is the whack of the bullet on the target.

A centre-fire is more difficult to fully suppress like that but with subsonic ammunition it can be done with small cartridges and large moderators.

For rifles certain moderators work better than other and there are tricks like loading smaller quantities of faster powders but there is nothing doing about the supersonic crack of miniature sonic boom the bullet leaves in it's wake.

This is to nothing of the thump of the impact.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
I shoot pigs with my friends at long range (>600 yards) with suppressed 300wsm and 7wsm. We have found that the noise of the bullet impacting is loud enough to hear all the way back to our shooting location. Think about how loud that bullet impact must be just a few feet away. We have found that this impact noise is what scares our pigs away after the shooting starts.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that with supersonic ammo the value of the can is that you can not tell where the shot came from.

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
awhile back we posted a couple guys downrange to see what would happen. a couple things we noted. first if there was something for the sound to bounce off of the crack was noticeable(like trees building etc). If it were in an open field very little sound was noted. In either case it was very difficult to tell where the sound was coming from

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
Like a 540 yard base drum!

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ptaylor is correct.

Even if you are shooting subsonic ammo, the pigs around the pig you shoot will hear the impact of the bullet hitting the pig.

I have shot a deer and a pig in a group even with "normal" rifle and ammo, and I have had them come back to the same area to feed a few minutes after the shot.

Turkeys too.

If the animal fell dead in the same area sometimes they react to the down animal sometimes not.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptaylor:
Like a 540 yard base drum!

Holy cow that gun has some fearsome recoil!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote