New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone suppressed a 30-378?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was happy(or sad) to find yesterday that Weatherby accumarks are threaded 5/8-24 the same as my YHM Phantom. So now I think I ned to try it, but then I would have to buy a new gun.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A bullet traveling in excess of Mach 3 cannot be silenced, so I hardly see the point putting a suppressor on a .30-.378.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A bullet traveling in excess of Mach 3 cannot be silenced, so I hardly see the point putting a suppressor on a .30-.378.

George

George,

Please call my friend George Koumbis and try to tell him it is impossible to suppress a 30-378.
If you put it in writing make sure it is edible paper and beet juice. G K will make you eat your words. I am not trying to stir up shit here. However, due to new designs and innovations in suppressors it can be done.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
drew,

I have fired suppressed weapons with sub-sonic ammo and see the utility. I have seen/heard a moderated .243 in the field, but again it was mild load.

I know the report of a rifle can be moderated (and with a large enough can, even the .30-.378 can be quieted down), but the supersonic crack of the bullet cannot be.

So, I don't see the point. Please explain.

George
P.S. I'm not trying to be a 'wet blanket'.
P.P.S. When I move to 'free America' I just may call George, if only to speak with another Greek George. Wink

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The point is that recoil and noise are greatly reduced. Here is video of my 338 ultra mag with a homemade silencer. The video does not do justice to how well it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lnBE9H_d8I

While the sonic boom is still there, the shock wave does not pass the shooter's ear and is not painful or damaging as long as you shoot out in the open. I am only trying to reduce recoil and muzzle blast noise with a silencer. If I want to reduce bullet flight noise, then I use a subsonic cartridge like the 338 whisper. If I want to reduce the action noise of a semi-auto, then I turn off the gas system. Very simple solutions.

Why are so many people going on and on about how a silencer does not eliminate bullet flight noise? No one uses a silencer to reduce bullet flight noise unless it is an integral design that reduces bullet velocity. It is like complaining that your car muffler does not reduce transmission, wind or tire noise. A gun muffler only reduces muzzle noise; there are other options available for reducing bullet and action noise.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the suppressor and know how they work, I am just worried that I will spend $1200 on the rifle and still wish I was wearing earplugs. The Weatherby Accumark 30-378 to me is not a hunting gun as I would have to put earplugs in to shoot it, they are deafening. My hope is that with a stock 308 can all the powder noise can be cut and yes of course you will still have the supersonic crack of the bullet.

I was on a cull once where I was to shoot 3 animals out of a heard of 8. I was told which 3 to shoot and then proceded to do so with supersonic bullets and the crack they make. To the wardens supprise, they heard was interested in what was happening, but not scared off by the noise and watching their 3 brethren get shot. It was not until we approached the heard that they ran off.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
any of the cans made for the 338 lapua should work just fine. Some of the better performing cans could probably bring it below 140dB at the shooters ear which is the most important factor to me.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matthewx:
I have the suppressor and know how they work, I am just worried that I will spend $1200 on the rifle and still wish I was wearing earplugs. The Weatherby Accumark 30-378 to me is not a hunting gun as I would have to put earplugs in to shoot it, they are deafening. Matthew

Matt, I know that my .470 Capstick sounds louder to me when fired with the brake.

I also know a guy who has owned several .30-.378s and .300RUMs. I know he has fired them without the brake from time to time. Let me get his opinion on the noise from the unbraked rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience that the larger the powder charge, the more effective (and noisier) the muzzle brake is. I had the opportunity to compare braked and unbraked 50 bmg rifles a few years ago. The 50 cal without the brake was much less noisy.

Ranb

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
shooting a 30-378 with no ear protection will destroy your ears!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
tell him it is impossible to suppress a 30-378.

Maybe you should tell him since the rest of the world already knows that to be the case ...

Roll Eyes

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to stir up the excrement but George has stated openly that if he cannot suppress it he will eat his words. Anyone wanting to make an open challenge will have to do the same.

I am only a messenger. Recently his suppressors were used on 50BMG with full power ammo--no subsonics and hearing protection was unecessary.

George told me he can suppress my 600 Overkill too. He is willing to put it in writing and wants challengers to do the same.

Personally I would love to see someone take this challenge.

Today I was rangeside with a 300 Win Mag shooting Hornady A-Max 208gr at 2900+ with a can of another manufacturer. Hearing protection was not necessary. It sounded like a .22Rimfire.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy

See Georges post above.

Suppressing in this case means muffling. An object which is moving down range above mach one cannot be silenced. Larger the object and faster it moves, bigger the bang. End of story unless your friend has reinvented physics as we know it.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:

George

The point---simple answer --

Hearing protection.

Just view it as a moderator vs silencer

as you would with any other full power cartridge

308, 06, 300 WinMag etc.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 realy nosie guns as well I have a 338-378 and a 300 Weatherby mag and both have brakes .. I take the brake off the 300 weatherby when hunting but have never taken off the brake on the 338-378. In minnesota it is extreamly hard to get a surpresser and unless you have a Leave III FFL i think that is what it takes to have one in this state.. so I just went and bought a set of Walkers Game ears they were $175 apice and then went to my docter and had them molded for my ear .. I can hunt for 8-12 hours and they are nice and easy ... and have a Dbm rating of 35 or so...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hearing protection was not necessary. It sounded like a .22Rimfire.

An unsuppressed pistol in 22lr is going to be about 160 dB, a rifle about 145 dB. Anything louder than 140 dB impulse is going to require hearing protection. If you think a suppressed high powered rifle sounds like an unsuppressed 22lr, then it is loud enough to damage your hearing.

My advice is worth what you paid for it. Smiler I normally wear hearing protection when shooting suppressed high powered rifles unless I am out in the open.

Ranb

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
A little warning. The most off axis case of piss poor threading I ever encountered was on a Weatherby .30-378. I could see bullet metal on the inside of the brake. I sent it back to Weatherby and guess what, their techs said everything was fine and sent me a target with a three shot 1.5 inch group at 100yrds. I sent back a letter with pictures and a picture of my group 6 inches at 40 yards. I never heard back from them and I've detested Weatherbys ever since. We used to call it a carosel job. They take the gun turn around and hand it back with phony proof it's been fixed.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guy has one on a 20mm so anything is possible. http://singleactions.proboards...=display&thread=5488

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matthewx:
I have the suppressor and know how they work, I am just worried that I will spend $1200 on the rifle and still wish I was wearing earplugs. The Weatherby Accumark 30-378 to me is not a hunting gun as I would have to put earplugs in to shoot it, they are deafening. My hope is that with a stock 308 can all the powder noise can be cut and yes of course you will still have the supersonic crack of the bullet.

I was on a cull once where I was to shoot 3 animals out of a heard of 8. I was told which 3 to shoot and then proceded to do so with supersonic bullets and the crack they make. To the wardens supprise, they heard was interested in what was happening, but not scared off by the noise and watching their 3 brethren get shot. It was not until we approached the heard that they ran off.

Matthew
I would contact whoever made your 308 can and make sure its rated for something as big as the 30-378. Worst case, it won't have sufficient internal capcity and the excess pressure can damage it. Some 30 cal cans will span a broad range of cartridges; some won't

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:

George

The point---simple answer --

Hearing protection.

Just view it as a moderator vs silencer

as you would with any other full power cartridge

308, 06, 300 WinMag etc.

+1

that's why we do it here in the UK to what is probably the majority of new hunting rifle.

Ugly and ruin a rifle's balance, not much better than un-moderated for dropping multiple animals out of a herd but definitely better for your ears than without.

It's not the same as a pair of earplugs, but I wouldn't hunt deaf and better than nothing.

One can suppress anything to varying degrees of success. I've seen and shot, to give a few examples, everything from a moderated air rifle to a .338 Lap mag and prefer the lack of blast ( not necessarily just noise, you know the thing you feel on the side of your head and behind your jaw ) if at all possible.

On the other hand it ruins the balance of a walking, stalking rifle and so I don't have one on my main deer rifle.

A-tec in Norway and ASE make bloody good mods, I would think this would handle the 30-378 with ease: http://aseutra.fi/english/index.html

They are heavy, but the dog's bollocks as far as durability and noise reduction go.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i was shooting a 308, with federal silver box loads.. no loader than a 22 lr... with tactical hog control

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i was shooting a 308, with federal silver box loads.. no loader than a 22 lr... with tactical hog control

Those guys are a HOOT!!

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Matthew,
I suppressed my .375 H&H Mag. It is sweet. Recoil is about the same as a .308. Nothing more. Sound is definately better, probably by 50%. The only downside is the weight and the fact that it is a bit front end heavy. It knocks things down though, quite spectacularly.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You'll still hear the supersonic crack, but it can be hearing safe for sure. Definitely more "silent" than an unbraked rifle, and a magnitude more silent than a braked rifle.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm with George. I personally can't think of a better way to ruin the balance and waste a lot of cash than to put a suppressor on a high velocity rifle. Yes, I agree it will make it quieter. IMO just not enough to make it worth the trouble. It's still going to be loud. If I still need hearing protection after I install a can then I can do without it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
So guys lets part moustache and snot!

Sound is measured at a logaritmic scale, wich means that an just audible difference to the ear is +100% ~ +3dB or -50% ~ -3dB.

0 = 0dB
2 times louder = 3 dB
10 times louder = 10dB
100 times louder = 20dB
1000 times louder = 30dB
10,000,000,000,000,000 (10 quadrillion!) times louder= 160dB
You get the picture?

A wery good muffler will do @-24dB across the audible range and that is something like a 200 times audible change. In other words a full power 165dB rifle will sound like 200 cal 22LR rifles fired at the same time.

It all boils down to energy!!!

From a "standard" cartridge @ 1/3'rd of the powder engery will be converted to motion (E0), 1/3'rd to heat in the barrel and the remaning 1/3'rd to muzzle blast.

A theoretic cartridge: 3 grams of powder at 4000j/g so an easy 4000j as muzzle blast. Form a consert PA system (where the woofers work at no better than 5-8% without big horns!) then that equates to a sound burst of (4000 x 7.5% or) 53.3kW of amp power Eeker

What a muffler will do is reduce recoil by 50-60% and redirect the remaning muzzleblast directly away from your shooting position. Now THATS worth a lot!

Permanent hearing damage at pulse sound is @ 120dB, so a muffeled big gun might seem ok, but that is still just highway hypnosis

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I'm with George. I personally can't think of a better way to ruin the balance and waste a lot of cash than to put a suppressor on a high velocity rifle. Terry

No one needs to waste lots of money. $60 plus tax is all it took for me to make my own 338 RUM can. The rifle is nearly 15 pounds without the silencer, so the extra 40 ounces of weight is not bad. The $260 is less than I spend on reloads each year. Silencers are by far the nicest accessory I put on my guns.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Modern supressors/moderators, capable of handeling standard calibers for hunting purpose wheighs form 10 - 30 oz , and can reduce the sound measured at the shooters ear, by 25 to 35dB in the lowrange frequence (0 - 1200Hz) therby reducing the soundpresure at the shooters ear by 1000 times.
Earmuffs of decent quality reduces the noize in the lowfrequent area, only by 14 - 18dB. This is only a reduction of soundpresure by 50 - 100 times

The supersonic crack is mostly mooving away from the shooter, unless reflected from surfaces.
The soundpresure from the sonic crack mesured 90 deg to the side 1 meter distance reads about 150dB from a standard 308 win. in an angel of 45deg/ 1 meter behind the muzzle, the sonic crack only reads 120dB, and it is mainly highfrequent.