Find
Notify
Tools

I need an education on night vision
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can some one provide links to good sites? As I understand it there two kinds:
ambient illumination (ala starlight star bright)
self illumination via IR beam or something like that.
What are the pros and cons.
What works and what doesn't.
Not looking to Doomsday Prep., just interested in spotting deer and other wild animals in the neighborhood, at night.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tnvc.com

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
pulsar digisight n550 or n750

take 2/3 of stated detection range as real

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. Too rich for my blood. I think I will get a Gen 1 monocular of some kind. I don't need a riflescope. Any suggestions?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the dig sight.If I had it to do again I would go a headset, a ir lazer on the rifle and a nv capable red dot.

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father has a similar to this, if you dont wantit rifle mounted just hold it in your hand and see through your scope or bino. You see well in 200-300m and its much cheaper than a ordinary nightvision.
http://z-aim.com/visa_produkt....mited&id=227&lang=en

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nordic2, that looks very interesting. Are they available in the USA. What does that cost equal to in US dollars? Also, I assume you need NV (IR) scope or bino? You also have to hold it steady while looking through the binos. Seems that that is why one integrated unit would be better.
Peter.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
3995 Swedish Krona equals
612.75 US Dollar

gen 1 means 60 yards on a fullmoon night .. i have one, played with several.. it works... its junk

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe! I guess I could have researched the krona bit myself but I also wanted to know about availability. I guess we have IR illuminators here as well, right? Still, I think that an integrated unit would be better. I have seen Gen1 NV's for $200-300. I understand that the range is limited to under 100 yards, but that may not be an issue for me with trees bushes etc around. Now , can you explain what you mean by "junk". Do they not work as advertised or just not fill your requirements? There seems to be a big price jump from gen 1 to gen 2 plus and gen 3.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My fathers laserdesignator was imported from US for about 170$.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make a search on ebay they have a lot of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duh! Thanks Nordic. I had looked for NV but not laser designator. However, are we not talking about an IR designator rather than a laser designator?There are a lot of different ones, all made in China! Now I just have to find one that is some good, or preferably something that combines both the designator and the IR vision.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No not infrared you just use your ordinary riflescope with no filters or adjustments at all.