Find
Notify
Tools

oil filters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I saw a vedio on the internet using oil filters for suppressors. I understand that the adaptor has to be taxed. But dose anyone know if they really work?

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They really work to reduce noise, so legally they are classified as a silencer in the USA. How much do they reduce noise? No idea as I have not heard of anyone who shot it next to the proper noise meter. They also tend to block the sights or scope unless a high mount is used.

I saw a Youtube video that showed a 30 round mag full auto dump through a oil filter silencer. They said there was no sign of damage on the outside, but nothing about damage or excessive wear on the inside. 30 rounds of 7.62x39 puts out a lot of heat, it probably burnt up the paper cartridge on the inside. The large volume would probably work well to suppress 22lr, but not much else.

The silencer is not user serviceable in that the unlicensed owner can't replace the oil filter when it wears out like they can with a wipe, the filter is treated like any other silencer part which requires replacement by an FFL/SOT class 2 or with payment of another $200 tax.

Youtube is a very poor way to evaluate the effectiveness of any silencer, good or bad.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody asked me recently to make such an adapter for him. In no uncertain terms I told him I would not.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:

The silencer is not user serviceable in that the unlicensed owner can't replace the oil filter when it wears out like they can with a wipe, the filter is treated like any other silencer part which requires replacement by an FFL/SOT class 2 or with payment of another $200 tax.

The guys selling the things claim that the adapter is the numbered and registered part and that replacing the filter cartridge is just like replacing any other "maintenance" part on a real silencer. That's what the guy hawking them at the gun show table was saying anyway. I think I would want more confirmation than that before I plopped down my money.

I also would want something I could see the sights over.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curiosity causes me to ask....when using one of those, I'm wondering if the PRE-drill the end to provide a bullet path, or just "Shoot through it"...???

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
He may claim this. However I would have to see ATF approved paperwork affirming this to be legal.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Jeffeosso said, plus one!

I saw the video, and the maker claims to have a letter from ATF, a copy of which goes with each unit; that they are legal.

The filter thing would be a major concern.

It would be interesting to see one fired with a decibel meter.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the dB reduction is, but a larger (truck) oil filter should work better than a typical (short) car filter.

If you doubt its legality:

1. Contact the manufacturer and ask him for a copy of the BATFE letter.

2. Ask for a copy of his NFA manufacturer paperwork.

3. Ask him which NFA dealers carry his product.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding as of today that the adaptor is also available for an additional tax ($200.00 today)Classified as a class 3 don't you know.When Money talks,bullshit walks.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In this case it is the adapter that is registered and taxed. the oil filters are just that, oil filters. It is only the adapter that makes them useable as a component.
A lot of money for a not overly effective unit with limited time use. Also, you shoot the first round through the filter punching a hole in the bottom of the can. Not a great idea in my mind and certainly not good for accuracy.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it work?

As has been sufficiently demonstrated
on YouTube by people who hide their faces,
a 1 liter plastic soda bottle on an electrical tape (wound around the barrel) "Adapter"
with a 6"square of cotton cut from an old T-shirt shoved inside the bottle, Works very well on a 22LR

Do remember this type of silencer on a centerfire rifle is only going to reduce or eliminate the muzzle blast and do nothing about the sonic crack.

This is why I'm developing a load for a 150gr Flat-point bullet for my 30Carbine... Need a 150gr bullet to be slightly subsonic.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
In this case it is the adapter that is registered and taxed. the oil filters are just that, oil filters. It is only the adapter that makes them useable as a component.
A lot of money for a not overly effective unit with limited time use. Also, you shoot the first round through the filter punching a hole in the bottom of the can. Not a great idea in my mind and certainly not good for accuracy.

For the first round it MIGHT affect accuracy.

For subsequent rounds? Not likely to be a material affect.
one benefit of a "Shoot through" in the thin sheet metal of the oil filter is that you KNOW the hole in the buisness end is "properly aligned"

But we are dealing with a SUPRESSED weapon here
how much range are you expecting it to be accurate over?

BUILDING a supressor is taxed, SELLING a Supressor is taxed, I would imagine replacing the part that carries the serial number would be taxed.

"Maintaining" or "Repairing" one even if non-serialized components were replaced would not be taxed.

Considering the paperwork involved I'd be inclined to Pay the ATF tax and make the damned thing myself... considering that the whole thing could be made in an hour or two almost entirely on a lathe...

And the only really "issue" would be making it large enough to be able to neatly stamp my name and the AFT number on it when done.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote