THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NIGHT VISION AND SILENCER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Nightvision And Silencers    Silencers and night vision in South Africa

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silencers and night vision in South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
Im going on a cull hunt in South Africa next month and thought I would take my silencer and night vision if its determined to be legal. My PH says its ok for SA but I gotta be sure its ok to leave the country and return with these items. Im gonna research this extensively but thought I would post the question here as well to give us something to talk about! coffee

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Probably some serious paperwork for the night vision equipment; that's what they busted the last Russian "spy" chick for....night vision devices in her suitcase. Don't know what generations (if any) are exempt from the export issues.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as harry said, its a pile of paperwork .. heck, you can't even "export" a 3x9vxi to "canada" these days ....

no, really, stop laughing, its true

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
http://www.atncorp.com/exportinformation

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
An update from the Optics company that just worked on my scope, word is no Generation 3 NV optics may leave the country so it will be staying at home. Not even going to bother with the suppressor, the outfitter should have one I can use anyway.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
Not even going to bother with the suppressor, the outfitter should have one I can use anyway.

A number of hunters from the UK going to SA for plains game take their moderators with them. I'm not sure I would recommend using somebody elses moderator as they do change the ballistics. If his is different than yours, it could change the POI. Unless you want to re-zero your weapon when you arrive, shoot what you have or take it off and re-zero at home.

When I hunt here, usually fox, I use a moderator because it keeps the neighbours happy. The less they know, the less worried they will be. I doubt the nyala you take will care one way or the other about the noise you make! Besides, moderators are unwieldy in the field.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote