New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor shooting....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You would think if you are going to hunt Marco Polo you would have practiced with your rifle a bit more. Quite a few missed shots...

The sheer number of sheep seen is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtAJU1aT30

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

tough to tell how long those shots were but I agree. If I was forking over the $ for an argali hunt I would make sure I was in top form!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Must have been a new gun. homer

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't think I would have posted all those misses on the internet either...

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The look on the poor guides face.....priceless.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
What disgusts me is the second hunter's first shot hits the back leg of the argali - you can see it swinging around as it runs away (which I understand is part of hunting, but hard to swallow after all those misses). Even worse, his follow-up shot appears to hit the argali's other back leg forcing the animal to just sit down and wait to be finished off. Even the first hunter was able to put a bullet in the boiler room when he finally connects!

We all miss and/or make poor shots at some point in time, but I certainly wouldn't be posting a video of it on youtube - especially when you've got multiple examples all in one video!

... okay, end rant.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Frenchies... Roll Eyes

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting. Seeing all those Marco Polo sheep brings back great memories of Tajikistan and the Pamirs.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like to me there was a fair amount of wind to go along with the distances. Its hard to tell, as painful as it it is to watch. Plenty of sheep, over how many days or weeks they don't say. Looks high and cold and that has an effect on a flat lander and his or her's shooting.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the text, the last hunter, Robert, had his rifle shooting 50 cm (20 inches) to the right, explaining why he missed the first Argali in front and hit the second so far back. Range on the first, according to the dialogue was 150 meters. Don't know about the one he got, but the PH said to shoot four inches high on the second shot, once the wounded beast stopped....

Might not have checked his zero once he arrived int he hunting area but can't tell from the video.

Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to the text, the last hunter, Robert, had his rifle shooting 50 cm (20 inches) to the right

Shooting your rifle a couple of times when you arrive in camp seems like a good way to prevent this.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know the PH pretty well.
The hunter checked his rifle before going on the field.
They don't know what happened, maybe the scope was hurt during the hunt.

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert and I do not condone poor shooting practices.My question is, how does high altitude where the air can be very thin affect shooting?Am I wrong in my assumption? Thanks for your inputs.

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much of the poor shooting was due to the extra clothing, gloves & cold windy weather!! It must be pretty difficult to simulate those conditions during practice on the range.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had easier access to mountians to practice shooting in those conditions. I am a much better than average shooter with a rifle and I have had some performance problems shooting on steep inclines and declines. I have noticed a problem with elevated impact even at long distances. I haven't put it all together yet but mountian shooting is a different game than shooting coyotes on the prairie.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobinOLocksley:
I am not an expert and I do not condone poor shooting practices.My question is, how does high altitude where the air can be very thin affect shooting?Am I wrong in my assumption? Thanks for your inputs.

Best-
Locksley,R.

I shoot at long range in both Arizona (barely above sea level) and on our land in Colorado ( about 8750 feet if I recall). The increase in altitude will cause bullets to hit high; I often shoot at 700 yards and if I recall the correction is about 5 clicks using a 300 RUM. Again, I would have to check my notes. Incidentally, that is a difference in impact of over 8 inches, enough to cause a miss. One more reason never to take a shot at an animal at a range you don't practice regularly.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote