THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ASIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Asian Hunting Forum    Just back from Kazakhstan! PHOTOS ADDED 10/13/11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just back from Kazakhstan! PHOTOS ADDED 10/13/11
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got into NY last night after travelling for 4 days back from the Altai mountains in Kazakhstan! A great adventure to say the least. Shot a very nice Maral stag with my longest shot ever! Russian helicopters, hours in the saddle, a fantastic wild country, tough hunt all made for a great experience! Detailed report when I get off Asian time!!

Posts: 2540 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds fascinating. Looking forward to your report.

Posts: 76 | Location: INDIA | Registered: 27 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really look forward to hearing about this Arjun and to see pic as you know i am most intrested in this hunt tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reddy375,

HUNT REPORT!!!!! PICTURES!!!!!! PICTURES!!!!!! PLEASE

Hawkeye

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry gentleman I am just catching up with piled up work and also waiting for some photos to come in as they are on the guides camera. Promise to have a detailed report up shortly. Thanks for your patience,

Arjun

Posts: 2540 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interested to hear about the hunt given that I essentially live here.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Can't wait for details and pics! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks, Here are some pics to start with I will post more as I get them and will write a full hunt report shortly. Needless to say my friend Jeff and I had a great hunt and shot a Maral stag each, both of them should fall within the top 10 in the SCI record book. Another hunter took one that is probably No. 1 if not larger, we will never know as he is not a member of SCI and it was not measured but you can see the size from the photo. Renaud the outfitter has taken even larger bulls on previous expeditions!!

Outfitter: Renaud Desgrees du Lou
Booking Agent: Self
Airlines: Lufthansa to Europe and Air Astana to and from Asia to Europe
Animals Hunted: Maral, Roe deer
Trophies shot: Maral stag
Range: 749 yards
Caliber: 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
Rifle: Out of the box SS model 75 Sako
Scope: Conquest Z800 – 4.5-14x44
Bullet: 200 grain Nosler Accubond
Velocity: 2964 fps
Charge: 94.5 grains of Retumbo

It was probably one of the toughest hunts I have been on due to extreme horse riding for me, given that I had never ridden a horse before and walking and climbing in the steep mountains. I took the longest shot I have ever taken at 749 yards, two guides and God are my witness. It was lasered and is on video - you will see the footage one of these days. The animal was well hit and went only a few yards. We lost sight of it and closed the distance to 370+ yards where I dropped it with a final shot.

My friend Jeff wounded and lost a great stag on the first evening of the hunt at 30 yards! More below on how it was found...

View from the chopper of the Altai Mountains

Coming into land at base camp in the Altai Mtns

The old russian helihofter as the translator called it.

Dining room basecamp

View from our tent basecamp

Me with local guides

Renaud holds court at basecamp. He has been doing this for 30 years!

Renaud sights his old custom 300 weatherby - as you can see its been up and down a few mountains!

Fly camp - Nicolas (guide) and me

We had snow, rain and sun. It was cold at nights but warmed up nicely once the sun came out

My Maral trophy

With Renaud

Bullet strike on a big Maral

Glassing

View of the mountains and Valleys - they go on forever

Renaud with a happy client

We crossed several rivers some were more perilous than others! Note Renaud's dog in his saddle bag. She goes everywhere with him.

Returning to basecamp

Renaud and Nicolas with some trophies - Jeffs stag is on the right.

The Monster stag of this season

Another view of it - look at the mass

Hunting for Siberian Roe deer from main camp

Scenery

Main camp

Kazakhstan is a beautiful country

Lots of agriculture on way to main camp

My Notes:
Thankful ending:
Renaud and Nicola called me a week later, still in the mountains they had come upon Jeff’s wounded stag. A brown bear was on the carcass eating it. A European hunter fired and missed the bear! It is a Bolshoi 7x7 Maral stag.

Hunting in Asia
It is for the adventurous, if you are not the type simply put do not go as you will return miserable. It requires a certain state of mind that can be simply put as “when in Rome do as the Romans do”. Applying western timelines and mindset will only frustrate you and ruin your experience. Do not get perturbed, relax and enjoy the overall adventure. Expect a tough hunt, the better shape you are in physically the more you will enjoy your hunt. It can be the difference between outright success and total failure. If you have any desire to do these hunts, do them as soon as you can. It gets tougher with age. My friend Jeff who is 70+ did it, hats off to him.

Language is an issue but one can get by. The local guides know their way around the mountains and the game like no one else, but African PHs they are not. Be ready to make your own decisions and live with them. Hunting in Asia is not for beginners. Expect sun, rain and snow during your hunt. Many European hunters enjoy these hunts each year; American hunters who do not go for the fear of travelling to a foreign alien land are truly missing out. At the end of the day you will return with a trophy that few trophy rooms hold.

Long Range Shots:
For those of you used to shooting running game at 1000 yards I apologize if I bore you. Although I knew where my rifle shot I did not go expecting to make such a long shot, at the time it felt right, I went for it and it worked. I will probably never take another shot like that again; there is a lot that can go wrong at that distance. For those interested in the more technical aspects of that shot, my ballistic program analysis shows:

Range: 750 yards
Caliber: 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
Rifle: Out of the box SS model 75 Sako
Scope: Conquest Z800 – 4.5-14x44
Bullet: 200 grain Nosler Accubond
Velocity: 2964 fps
Charge: 94.5 grains of Retumbo

At 750 yards, the velocity of the bullet had dropped down to 1872 fps, from 2965 at the muzzle! Energy was down to 1557 - the same energy a 95 grain bullet from a 243 has at 120 yards.
Without the Zeiss scope’s Z800 reticule, at 100 yards the rifle would have had to be set to shoot 16.98 inches high to be dead on at 750 yards!
At the highest point ever at 400 yards that bullet was 43.56" high, that’s nearly 4 feet! The TOF (time of flight) of the bullet to 750 yards was .96 of a second, at 100 yards the TOF is only .11 of a second.

Gear:
It is really important to take the right gear. I climbed the mountain in Muck boots which probably accounted for some of my woes! A warm sleeping bag and good mountain climbing gear is the way to go.

Rifle:
Synthetic stocked rifles in a 30 magnum caliber or similar is the only way to go. A good scope, range finder and binoculars are a must. Be proficient to shoot out to 400 yards and know your trajectory. Many of the shots will be way under that range.

The Trophy:
Maral Stags from my understanding have the largest antlers of any of the deer family except probably moose. Some stags have an identical horn configuration to American Elk, although a great many of them have extra points. Truly large monsters have immense mass and palmated antlers. The European method of weighing the antlers and skull in my opinion does not do the trophy full justice. I don’t think the antlers are as dense as say compared to an Indian Sambur stag and what does weight matter when a trophy is on a wall, scoring the antlers using inches is a far better way.

Thank you for reading this report.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: 845 259 3628
email: arjun@huntersnetworks.com

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Arjun,

This has to be one of the most detailed reports I've read in a long time! Excellent and a lot of great info to those of us who only admire for now.

Those stags are fantastic and I can tell the mass is special on the antlers.

Way cool!

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arjun,I am hooked. Will e-mail and talk more as I would like to combine it with the Ibex also. I have the hunt price just need to work out what the other cost are going to be as I have hunted a lot through russia etc and sick of the hand in the pocket business all the time after getting there and not knowing ALL the related costs.great report and hopefully we can make a plan.cheers

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, Arjun!
A hearty congratulations on a tough, yet successful, hunt.

Great stags. Good ending for the hunter who wounded his. I'm sure he was happy to hear the news.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arjun,

Thanks for the report and the fantastic pictures!!!!
Hawkeye

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal Arjun!!! Congratulations!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Arjun. Those stags are awesome. It looks like some of those stags are declining from old age! Incredible mass & palmation.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Wow! Massive stags Smiler
Congrats on a wonderful result. Been looking forward to these photos. Think I will return to this thread every day Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a well set out report.
You nailed the spirit of adventure which is what the trip is all about.

They are some of the best stags I have seen in a long time.

You should be very happy with your shooting, you pull of a long one.

Would live to see some more pic's

Will you go back again?

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Great photos,monster stags and an honest and accurate report. beer

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool hunt, monster bulls, well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great Stuff Arjun. Congrats!!!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
Superb vistas, thanks for sharing.

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 134 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice stag, Arjun, and amazing shot.

how much did it weight?

Regards,
Bharal76

Posts: 136 | Location: Madrid - Spain | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does a hunt like this go for and who did you book it through? Any problems getting your trphy back home? What kind of numbers did you see and do you hunt it like the rut in the US?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice hunt report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
What does a hunt like this go for and who did you book it through? Any problems getting your trphy back home? What kind of numbers did you see and do you hunt it like the rut in the US?
This hunt costs 10K euros - all details are here
http://forums.accuratereloadin...2100588/m/3311091561

Thanks,

Arjun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report!

Thanks

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Awesome photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Arjin, Did you fly the helicopter? Anyway outstanding and welcome home.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

NO I didnt sleep in a holiday inn the night before (for those of you who dont know its a popular advert here on tv guys). I have been in helis before but this one had you wishing the ride was over quickly. On the way back one of the other clients in the co-pilot seat said he smelt vodka on the pilot! He probably needed it to fly the helicopter!

Cheers

Arjun