Find
Notify
Tools

Live from Islamabad
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings to all,

This is Kathi's husband Rick, posting from the Marriott in Islamabad.

Will be returning to Chicago in a few days from my most adventurous hunt ever.

The people of Pakistan are fantastic. Very friendly and English is widely spoken.

I was hunting blue sheep in the Karakorams of Northern Pakistan in the KVO.

There is absolutely no security issues and I never felt any safety concerns in any way.

If you are considering Pakistan, do it you will not be sorry.

Cannot wait to return in this beatiful country with it's friendly people.

Will post report and photos after Thanksgiving.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9372 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Look forward to your report. Great to hear you had a safe and rewarding hunt, and that the Pakistanis were such friendly folks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16412 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Who did you book with and what outfitter where you hunting with?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Locking forward to your report!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick & Kathi;

I'm looking forward to your report. Travel home safely!!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Booked with Karakurum Treks and Tours out of Islamabad, Hunting Consortium was the booking agent.

Anchan Mirza of Karakurum Treks and Tours comes to SCI every year. He attended the AR get together at the Leopard Lounge when it was in Reno.

Anchan does a lot of Markhor hunts, along with the blue sheep, ibex, and various urials.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Location: Karakoram Mountains, Khunjerab Villages Organization (KVO), Northern Pakistan

Species hunted: Himalayan Blue Sheep

Game seen: Blue sheep, ibex, carcass of snow leopard

Booking Agent: Hunting Consortium

Outfitter: Karakurum Treks & Tours, Islamabad, Anchan Mirza

Cast of characters: (some names may be misspelled)

Main guide: Wazir Naeema

Porters: We started with 6,but due to a rule that porters can only carry 18 kgs of "company equipment" plus their own sleeping bag, clothes, etc, it was increased to 9 porters

Local guide: Ferman, it was an honor to hunt with this 60 year old man. He would climb up and down the mountains like an ibex, constantly looking for game. I have never hunted with someone who was so focused and hunted so hard as Mr. Ferman

Pakistan Wildlife Officers: One was Mr. Kalai, the other videotaped the hunt for the KVO

Local Game Warden: Ali

Owner of guest house Mr. Haji Han had been a wildlife officer for 35 years, he spent 3 years as a prisoner of war while serving in the Pakistan Military. The man is 62 years old and in incredible shape. He came along to assist.

Cooks: Braheem and another gentleman

Airlines: Turkish-they were fantastic

Optics: Zeiss

Rifle: Ruger 338 win mag

Ammo: Remington 225 swift-a-frame

Sleeping bag: Wiggy's (thanks to everyone on AR who recommended this bag)

Boots: Russell

In order to enter Pakistan you have to obtain your Visa in advance. Where you apply for your Visa depends on where you live in America. I have the Chicago Consolute as my application location. In August I sent in my packet for a Visa, a few days later the Consulate's office called and wanted more documents. Those were sent in and in a few days they called again requesting my employment background. When I told them (which was on my application) that I retired as a Detective Sergeant from the Illinois State Police, they requested proof. After sending in this information I recived my Visa. The Consulate General does a very thorough background check, if you go apply as early as possible. The staff at the Consulate's office were very nice, but very conscientious.

I left on the night flight Thursday,Nov 8th, via Istanbul arriving in Islamabad Saturday morning. I was met by Wazir and Nadi, and clearing the firearms and ammo went smoothly. Due to clear skies Nazir and I were able to catch the 8 a.m. flight to Gilgit. If you ever get the opportunity, this flight is amazing as you fly near Nanga Parat. After arriving in Gilgit, I was deposited at the Serena Hotel where I would spend the night.

Sunday began by loading the vehicle for the drive to Sost. As we reached the town of Karimibad, Wazir told me we would have to take a boat ride across the lake. Apparently two years ago a huge chunk of mountain crashed down on a village, blocked a river and now formed a large lake. As we neared the lake, people were everywhere getting into these large boats. We emptied our vehicle placing everything in a boat and began the one hour boat ride.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once on the other side of the lake, we met Haji Han. We unloaded our supplies into his vehicle and headed to his guest house near Sost. After settling in for the night, several representatives of the KVO (Khunjerab Villages Organization) visited. I was told I was the first hunter in 4 years to be hunting this area. There were many blue sheep in the area, but reaching them was the problem as it would be a 2 day trek over very difficult terrain. They estimated 500 sheep were in this area alone.

The following morning everyone was outside sorting gear for the porters. After weighing the company equipment it was necessary to hire 3 more porters. We loaded all the equipment and personnel into two vehicles for the 45 minute ride up the Karakoram Highway. After reaching the turn off point we left the vehicles and began day one of the trek into the hunting area. The scenery was incredible, ice falls, narrow ledges over steep drop offs, frozen rivers, exactly as I pictured the Karakorams would be. The late afternoon was spent glassing ibex on the side of the mountains and preparing for the day 2 trek.

We started out in the dark because there was an area of concern where once the day warms massive landslides occur. While walking we found the remnants of a snow leopard. The bones and fur were all that remained. The Pakistan Wildlife officer said snow leopards are often killed in the landslides. A few years before he found a cub whose mother had been crushed. He raised the cub and it was subsequently sent to the Bronx zoo in New York. He said he named the cub "Leo" and showed me several pictures of the cat. The area was covered in huge snow leopard tracks. Their paws must be naturally larger than an African leopard because these tracks in the dust were bigger than any I had ever seen in Africa.

After setting up camp 2, we glassed for sheep with no luck.

The next morning, we hiked to an area known for wild onions. Once we arrived, blue sheep were everywhere eating the grasses. I probably saw in excess of 150 sheep on this day. After working into position for a shot it was decided to pass on the rams. I have never seen a blue sheep before and they looked good to me. All day we saw sheep on various ridges and hillsides. Late in the afternoon, Mr. Ferman spotted a very good ram and the stalk began. After closing to 200 yards I shot and the ram ended up in an area where we could not recover him.

After much discussion, it was decided we would return to Sost and Mr. Ferman would come back to the area with two young men from the town and attempt to retrieve the sheep.

All the "elders" from the village were concerned over the sheep not being recovered and Mr. Ferman told me he would do everything he could to get the sheep out. I am hopeful he will be recovered.

The people of Pakistan were so friendly and made me feel very welcome as a guest in their country. I look forward to my return.

If someone can post pictures for me, please send me a PM and I will e-mail you the photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
WOW! Send the photos to me and I will put em up

anton810922@hotmail.com

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pir_Danish
posted Hide Post
Hi Kathi, Rick,
I have some pics of your hunt, im posting some that are my favorite, i hope you dont mind:

Posts: 789 | Location: Karachi & London | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, Anton sent you 12 photos, thank you.

Pir Danish thanks for posting.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick, Thanks for sharing your adventure, it looks like a good one.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted that same area for blue sheep in march right after bush beat kerry, whatever year that was. Recognize several of the faces in the pics. Anchan runs a fantastic outfit and i agree with Rick, one of my best adventures to date.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent country. I love the sign with the altitude. 7166 meters! WOW!!!

Posts: 11978 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome hunt - thanks for sharing! Congratulations

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So Rick, when are you going to do a "tough" hunt? rotflmo Can't wait to hear what you're up to next!

What an amazing accomplishment!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some great news, sheep has been recovered.

Dear Rick,

kamal call me this morning from sust,they recovered your trophy,

regards

wazir

Dear rick,

im in gilgit i met safiullah baig today he told me ,due to bad weather farman went yesterday in search of sheep as soon as i get any news from him i will let you know thanks ,

regards

wazir,

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Some great news, sheep has been recovered.

Dear Rick,

kamal call me this morning from sust,they recovered your trophy,

regards

wazir

Dear rick,

im in gilgit i met safiullah baig today he told me ,due to bad weather farman went yesterday in search of sheep as soon as i get any news from him i will let you know thanks ,

regards

wazir,

Great! I bet he's happy! Looked like a great hunt, congrats Rick!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

He is really glad they found him, just received this e-mail cape is bad so it looks like a European mount.

Dear Rick,

I heard from our representative yesterday that they found your sheep. However as i understand the cape is not in good order.

Will get back to you with more details in future once we have in possession.

Best wishes,

Anchan Mirza

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Dang! Maybe he can get a new cape? I know Blue Sheep aren't exactly an easy cape to replace but maybe it could be arranged?

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick - Thanks for a nice report! Sorry to hear your sheep was not originally recovered, hopefully the trophy gets back to you - and perhaps a cape can be located somewhere?

Having just returned from Pakistan myself, and before leaving - I booked a blue sheep/ibex hunt for 2014. So it was with great anticipation I read your report, and scoured through the pics.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Received photos of sheep, can someone please post.

Thank you.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sure Kathi, email them to me. mjines@kingwoodcable.com

Mike

Posts: 21234 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Posting for Kathi. Well done, glad they were able to recover them.

Mike

Posts: 21234 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad it was recovered! Really nice.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rick,
I would like to congratulate you after such an excellent hunt, and congratulkate you again after they could retrieve your trophy!

If I may ask, I see that you hunted with Karakorum Treks and Tours, and that Pir Danish, whom I believe to be a different outfitter, posted the photos of your hunt, are they both partners? Pir?

Alvaro, from Spain.

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Pir Danish and my guide Wazir Naeem are friends and Wazir sent photos to Pir Danish.

On a side note, Wazir speaks VERY HIGHLY of Pir Danish.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Kathi. I, too, have extremely good references about Pir`s outfit, but I just could not see the connection with Anchan.
Regards from Spain,
Alvaro

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick and Kathi....Thank you for sharing and Rick you're one TOUGH guy... beer

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Very nice report and great pictures, I am glad having decent comments on Pakistan and friendly attitude from my beloved country men, really feel proud, specially when misleading news are around the world for Pakistan. Pakistan, I think is the only country where some very exotic trophies are found, specially BLUE SHEEP, HIMALAYAN MARKHOR, SINDH IBEX, URIAL AND ABOVE ALL SULEIMAN MARKHOR.

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote