THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Dove Hunt: Bolivia Vs. Argentina

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dove Hunt: Bolivia Vs. Argentina
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the pros and cons to hunting in Bolivia and Argentina? Who is the best outfitter? Thanks.

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I only know about Argentina and it is beyond belief. Hard to beat the simplicity of going and the results. Cost is very affordable. In 3 days you may shoot 15-20 cases of shells if your shoulder can handle it. Rent their Benelli's.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Argentina has a better developed industry. More choices. In Bolivia, it is or at least was possible to combine with peacock bass fishing.

I just got back from a duck hunt with Argentina Outfitters. My 4th year in a row with them One afternoon, they took us to their new dove place. I shot 1230 in less than 3 hours. It is a first class operation.

I have also been with Los Chanares on 3 different trips. They are also fantastic.

Unless you have been there, it is hard to describe the number of birds. Typically, I shoot 1,000 rounds in the morning and another 1,000 rounds in the afternoon.

The thing to be careful of is an outfitter that puts you on a van or bus daily for a long ride to the fields and leaves you there all day. The places I mentioned earlier have a short ride (like 5 to 15 minutes) from their lodge to their shooting locations.

Larry

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I have some friends who has hunting ranches in Bolivia ,they even hunt jaguar ,but the politycal situation is not good there and there are frequent crisis situations between farmers and the goverment -communist-backed by Chavez.
Here any of us can provide you at least 1000shells a day and 5 star lodge.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Argentina may be the best bet. If I decide to take my flintlock besides using their rental guns, is black powder available? Thanks.

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No idea.

I would think that would be a extraordinarily frustrating experience and a pain in the backside.

There are so may birds it is insane.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe ducks and geese might be better for the flinter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would think so. Still there is a hell of a lot of shooting.

The people that we go with place a limit on you in terms of the number of times you can shoot. They give you 5 boxes of shells in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. That is 200 shots a day. It is still a heck of a lot of loading and cleaning.

I'll send an e mail to these guys that we go with and find out what they say about black powder.

Where are you in central Florida?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh damn. I forgot to mention the geese. From what I observed in 4 different trips ducks and geese are in different areas. I haven't even seen a goose while duck hunting.

Goose hunting was closed in certain areas. I don't know the details for an absolute fact. What I heard is that one species of goose that was endangered looked very similar to a fairly common species. I believe they hunt geese further south.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked with Rob McAndrew of Argentina outfitters. He "thinks" he can get black powder. He is going to check.

I am leaving for new Zealand for about 2 1/2 weeks. I will post his response when I return.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice of you Larry. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's your trip and your money and I'm a firm believer in having fun BUT if I was you, I'd leave the flintlock at home. You can shoot it just about as much (due to the rate of reloading, etc) on a good dove hunt back in the states. Why spend all that time reloading your flinter when the birds are flying in quantities that you will rarely see anywhere else? That said, it's your trip and if it floats your boat, paddle on.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be best to save the black powder for water fowl if it can be called in close. My flint guns have no choke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. Leave it home. Personally, I would be frustrated as hell with all of those ducks around and trying to reload the damn thing. Plus the issue of the choke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry: Actually reloading is not that slow. I'm fast enough to keep up with a typical Texas dove shoot but then I only have one shot. It does mean a whole lot more when I connect. I think one advantage to hunting waterfowl out of the States is being able to shoot lead. If the ducks and geese are decoyed in close, I can connect without choke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The shooting is quite fast of rducks in Argentina most days, leave the front stuffer for home.

Argentina has a ton of doves (and ducks), Bolivia makes Argentina look like slow dove shooting.

But Bolivia is a poor, poor country with less infrastructure. Zimbabwe is better off than Bolivia. No joke.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted Argentina. A group of us have gone down once a year for the last 5 years. Shooting is fantastic. The first 2 years we only shot doves. The second year there were 12 of us and the second day of shooting the first full day of shooting we shot 24,000+ dove. All but 2 people shooting 2,000 dove and one guy shot 3,000. We hunted with Paco Reista for the first 4 years and this past August we hunted with SYC. Last year we added pidgeons and ducks to the dove shooting. We shoot each for 2 days. I am an avid duck hunter but I enjoyed the pidgeons the most. There are no limits on dove, limits on ducks was 25 morning and 25 evening. Pidgeons was 200 a day. Everyone did not shoot limits of ducks each outing. No one shot the 200 pidgeon limit. We have been going in August, this is not the best time of year for any of the birds. 2009 we are going in May because of an Africa hunt in July.

For anyone that likes to shoot and shoot and shoot more I would suggest Argentina for birds.

Posts: 17 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Dear Tanker,
I have a client (and friend) who comes down to shoot with his muzzle loaders. One is a flintlock reproduction who's beauty just defies description, the other is a best Vintage English gun, enough said. I unerstand what you are about with the front stuffers, it is all about having fun. The powder that we can get here is inka-el. It is slightly weaker than the powder you use in the States. It worked just fine with the cap ignition gun but we had dificulties with the flintlock. It seems the powder was a bit weak for good ignition. The most apt quarry for the front stuffers ended up being perdiz over dogs. I recomend that you bring your own powder loaded into regular shotgun cartridges and then recover the powder here. I know I am going out on a limb by recomending this and the busy bodies are going to jump all over it, but if you really want to use the flintlock, this seems to be the way. There is no specific prohibition that I know of that precludes this option. Bring a flat (10 boxes) of 12 ga shotgun loads and have your bird boy recover the components here.

Good luck.

John