Find
Notify
Tools

A few recent shots, revised
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
Apologies for the previous laziness and any confusion caused.

Sunrise and water

Kelp (scientific name unknown) and ice (H20) with a bit of salt (NaCl)

Dog (black), rocks (hard), ice and water (see above)

Ice, rocks, water and red structure (manmade) for aiding mariners in avoiding # 2 above

Ice, rocks, water, more rocks, small boat and big boat

Water and oldsquaw (seaducks not derogatory term for aging native American tribeswoman)

Rocks, water, seal, two boats and seagull (sex unsure)

Ice, water, two boats, several (6 odd orange men and one camouflage humanoid (homosapien), a seagull

Boat, water, ice and three humanoids

Boat, ice, water, rock, wooden structures designed for human habitation, trees

Four seasons worth of sludge in shotgun guts

Salt marsh vegetation and sky

Geese using feathery appendages to move through air

More plants and sky, clouds, bright light in shape of soccer ball

Hunter, dog, plants, water, black ducks and mallard

See above reference to poor gun care and maintenance

Ibid

Ibid

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, but still no reason to live there. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures. Looks like you are having a good winter.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Sea duck hunting is something I've never done, but always had some interest in. The closest I've ever come is hunting Black Brant, but the weather was in the 70s, sunny and warm, not that ice-bound stuff you're showing.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Great pics.

What was going on with Coast Guard sequence ???

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Other than one, I don't think I saw anything that looked like decoys (except maybe the one thru the weeds before the gun pics). Were they just not shown? Or do you not need them? Down here we wouldn't get far without those..we've even gotten addicted to robos..

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Great photos. Other than one, I don't think I saw anything that looked like decoys (except maybe the one thru the weeds before the gun pics). Were they just not shown? Or do you not need them? Down here we wouldn't get far without those..we've even gotten addicted to robos..

DLS: waterfowl hunting in 70 degree weather? Sorry, but that simply does not compute to this New Englander. Wink

Collector: a kid I know and sometimes hunt with had a deadman/kill switch issue while setting blocks that day. He's a seasoned mariner and at 22 or so holds a 100 ton master's ticket, but that in and of itself doesn't help when you're stuck in an extremely treacherous inlet to the Atlantic with a dead motor. I called the coasties just to be prudent, and he was glad I did. Large sheets of ice in the river could easily have picked up his hook and unstuck him, and he'd have potentially been heading out the mouth to the Atlantic in a hurry. Worse, a large sheet could have flipped that little 14' tin boat. You go in the water here at this time of year, especially in a place with a wicked current, chances are excellent you're not coming home. People die there every year--and most of those happen during warm weather.

Big thanks to the CG people, BTW. They're wonderful and save lives every day. I can't say enough good things about them. Anyway, they went out and grabbed him up. First question was from a southern guy, who asked, "WTF are you doing out here, man? Don't you know it's FREEZING OUT HERE?" rotflmo

Their Merrimack River Station is less than a mile upriver. Oh, and being a fellow waterfowler, I of course chose to document his tow of shame. Smiler

Shack, there are no decoys in any of the shots. We use them, but with many of the places we gun having heavy currents, by the time the dog gets to the birds, we're far away from the blocks. It's all I can do sometimes to huff and puff downstream to get an action shot. Next time I'll see about getting a few blocks in the pics for you. Big Grin

Merry Xmas to all the watermen here.

KG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas back..to all waterfowlers, bird hunters and forumites.

KG, I was fascinated to hear the description of the dangerous conditions. The closest comparison I know is hunting the Mississippi River. I can remember when almost every year a boatload of hunters was lost out there. Dogs get lost too if they get too far out in the current. It's just as dangerous as the ocean. No kidding. Many don't believe that until they see it. It's about a half mile to cross the main current and barge lanes, then more to get to the hunting areas on the other side. Imagine that in the pre-dawn darkness in a johnboat with several hunters wearing chest waders and weighted down with shell vests and whatever. And with some boats, not much freeboard. Then add bad weather, floating log and debris piles the size of a house flying down a 10 knot current thru the night, bank cave-ins, quicksand and gumbo mud that has no bottom, sandbars that appear overnight and disappear as fast, enormous barge tows with monstrous wakes and wheel washes, powerful whirlpools and undertows, and fast moving ice flows. And no way for the CG to help. But, there's no end of waterfowl after the Big Freeze shuts everything else down.

What all we do for a duck...

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What is with the picture of the bolt out of the gun and it looks like the receiver has one side caved in?

The pictures in themselves are great, but a caption on each of them would have really made this post great.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Thanks KG,
Wow, you saved his butt for sure. Those CG guys are awesome. Hunted with a CG captain long time ago in Kodiak, boy did he have stories to tell about Alaskan rescues.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Great pics! I'm still jealous... And chomping at the bit!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Cool pics KG, thanx for posting.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That lab needs a neopreme vest!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
awesome pics as usual my friend

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote