THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    I knew it was a widgeon,........ but,.........

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I knew it was a widgeon,........ but,.........
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
I just can't believe I've taken two of these.

That friends is a Eurasian Widgeon.

That friends is Babes mouth around a Eurasian Widgeon.

Babe having retrieved a Bull.

Babe and I headed out this morning before high tide and quit hunting before the top. We hunted from 8:00am til 10:00am and took 11 ducks and a goose. I lost a bull that sailed out into the bay and should have had another goose out of the flock of five or so that I pulled one out of with my second barrel.

Babe is absolutely steady to shot and a fine retriever. I just couldn't be happier.

We'll head out of here at 1:00pm tomorrow for the beach and will report upon our return.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I've changed my mind. I *don't* like you or appreciate your posts. Rrrrrrrr!

Mad Big Grin

Nice, guy. Very nice.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Nice Euro...West Coast and Aleutian chain get quite a few Eurasian Wigeons. Not sure if they are breeding on North American continent or not ? Maybe a biologist from AK can shed some light on it.

They are a beautiful trophy. The bird in the first picture is a first year male. The patch on their wings get pure white in second year and most of the specs around the cheek would be gone come year two.

I bet you guys also run into Tufted ducks and Aleutian Greenwing teals every now and then.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the UK the eurasion wigeon and pintail are the main duck species that I hunt. Mid oct to Dec is the best period as the ducks are quite unwise coming from nothern russia and scandinavia to decoys and shotguns.

Blurred pic of wigeon coming into decoys

Typical photo as the dog no longer has the duck in his mouth

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
Nice Euro...West Coast and Aleutian chain get quite a few Eurasian Wigeons. Not sure if they are breeding on North American continent or not ? Maybe a biologist from AK can shed some light on it.

They are a beautiful trophy. The bird in the first picture is a first year male. The patch on their wings get pure white in second year and most of the specs around the cheek would be gone come year two.

I bet you guys also run into Tufted ducks and Aleutian Greenwing teals every now and then.

I have seen a total of three of these birds in better than 25 years of waterfowl hunting. The first was a drake taken in south west Oregon that I now have mounted in my home. The second was in the "Closed Zone" on Graylodge State Waterfowl Area in California and the third is pictured above. I'm at least under the impression that there is a bit of a waterfowl knowledge vaccum in this state due to the interest in larger species of wildlife. The habitat available to waterfowl in Alaska is overwhelming, the take by hunters incidental, so I don't believe theres any great pressure to manage. Certainly I could be wrong.

I don't believe I've ever seen a tufted duck and don't think I could identify an aleutian greenwing.

My ability to hunt varies wildly every year due to work. Some years I won't even glance at my shotgun seasonally and others like this one I am able to get out often. I suspect Babe and I are done for the season but there is a possibility of one more morning afield.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine shot one back in the late '70s when we were hunting in Connecticut. We were in the grass on the west side of the Mianus River, up in Cos Cob harbor. Flock of mallards came over, we shot a few times, and a hen came down. Paddled over to pick it up, at which point it was a "What the H*ll did you shoot?" Hit the books when I got home and figured out what it was. Neither of us ever saw one over the barrel of a shotgun again, although I've seen a couple of drakes on Long Island (NY) in non-hunting situations.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many Bull Sprig are you guys allowed up there????

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One in NH.....but that's more than most guys get in 10 seasons here. When I dropped a prime sprig a few years ago I knew it was my lucky day.......he's on the wall of course. Big Grin

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The reg's for Subsistence Hunting for Rural Subsistence Hunters in Alaska are posted on the USFWS website.

There is no daily or annual bag or possession limit. All the birds I took in the two weeks I hunted are in the freezer, no taxidermy is allowed, and all will be consumed well before the fall season.

The Pacific Flyway commands a great number of Sprig and they are available in great numbers assuming reg's allow.

The Alaska take is an insignificant fraction of the Pacific Flyway harvest so for that reason among others, the Subsistence Harvest Bag Limit is shall we say "Liberal".

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That photo with all those bull sprig reminded me of hunts with my father back in the '70s when we'd routinely shoot 14 pintails in a day, legally. We used to be allowed 7 per day in California, and the central valley is still home to a great number of them in winter, though we're only allowed 2 at this time.

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I had one gifted to me in my freezer. The flood took it along with my Mandarin. Frowner Congrats on a great trophy bird Scott!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
My wife has taken to the waterfowl and we're eating duck more than once a week. this week it was teriaki duck and quite good it was.

I know of some hunters wives that refuse to eat duck. Divorce seems to me to be a viable option.