THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Well-known waterfowl guide in hot water

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well-known waterfowl guide in hot water
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
I don't know the man, and obviously is innocent until proven otherwise, but as someone once said, "this don't sound good..."

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/...er/10-enrd-1412.html

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEThursday, December 9, 2010

Professional Duck Hunter Charged with Guiding Illegal Waterfowl Hunts in Central Illinois

WASHINGTON – A federal grand jury in Springfield, Ill., returned a 23-count felony indictment today charging Jeffrey B. Foiles with conspiracy, wildlife trafficking, and making false writings in connection with the illegal sale of guided waterfowl hunts, the Department of Justice announced today.

The indictment charges Foiles, 53, of Pleasant Hill, Ill., with conspiracy to violate the Lacey Act and the federal false writings statute, 12 substantive violations of the Lacey Act, and ten counts of making false writings in a matter within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The Lacey Act is a federal law that makes it illegal to knowingly transport or sell wildlife taken in violation of federal law or regulation. The act defines the sale of wildlife to include the sale of guiding services for the illegal taking of wildlife.

The indictment alleges that from 2003 to 2007, Foiles conspired with others to knowingly transport and sell ducks and geese that had been hunted and killed in violation of federal laws protecting migratory birds. In particular, Foiles is alleged to have sold guided waterfowl hunts at the Fallin’ Skies Strait Meat Duck Club in Pike County, Ill., for the purpose of illegally hunting and killing ducks and geese in excess of hunters’ individual daily bag limits. Foiles and his associates are also alleged to have falsified hunting records at the club in order to conceal the excesses, and to have filmed the illegal hunts for inclusion in commercial hunting videos.

An indictment is merely an accusation, and a defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law.

The maximum penalty for a felony violation of the Lacey Act or the federal false writing statute includes up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The case was investigated by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, in cooperation with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, and the government of Canada. The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of Illinois and the Justice Department’s Environmental Crimes Section.

10-1412Environment and Natural Resources Division

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
He is a call maker as well. Hopefully, the man is innocent but as you said....The charges do look slightly trumped up, or overkill for sure.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foiles problem is he wants to film everything. I saw a video awhile back where he was hunting with an unplugged shotgun in Canada.
I guess the Feds saw it also.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brad may:
Foiles problem is he wants to film everything. I saw a video awhile back where he was hunting with an unplugged shotgun in Canada.
I guess the Feds saw it also.

I have seen several videos of 'pro' waterfowlers where the shots X shooters add up to more than multiples of threes, let's just say. Roll Eyes

If he's innocent of the charges, I hope he makes a fool of the JD and doesn't get hurt too badly (though even being accused is certainly very bad for his business). If proven true, he'll likely pay dearly.

A bud has a straight meat goose call, and it sounds good. I don't know about $175 good, but...Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gonzo-style duck hunting ain't my style..... Wink

All kidding aside, guys like Foiles are no good for our sport. Every single one of us has been tempted to kill more than our limit but know it's not the right thing to do......commercialization of hunting is a double-edged sword....he should have known better. That being said, the feds can be extremely zealous and turn dropping a napkin on the sidewalk into a federal offense if they want to.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a Pheasant Hunt Lodge in S.D.
They were EXTREMELY lax about the bag limits. It really turned my stomach to see them make no effort to retrieve downed birds because that would end the shooting sooner than later. Everyday, the guide let the group go over the limit; not even counting the dead, but not recovered birds. The last day we were over again, but on the drive back to the lodge, the guide says to 2 of the guys that didn't "get enough shooting" that he will stop on the side of the road when he sees a rooster and for them to jump out and shoot it right there on the road.

The more money that people pay to hunt, the more they expect to shoot until they are satisfied. Too many guides are letting them do just that. It's good for their business and it results in huge tips. Our guide received over $3000 in tips for 3 days. (None from me) Another party in the other lodge (This outfit has 3 buildings) went poaching every night. The lodge owner just chuckled about it each day. They were long time customers and also were very generous tippers.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folies hunting property is up for sale for 1.5 million.
I quess he knows he's in a bind.
This also is an other tool for the anti's to use against us.
This is very bad for hunting.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we don't police our own a hell of a lot better than this, then I would like to see the dirty hippies use this against us. Something needs to change here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Shottist:
I just got back from a Pheasant Hunt Lodge in S.D.
They were EXTREMELY lax about the bag limits. It really turned my stomach to see them make no effort to retrieve downed birds because that would end the shooting sooner than later. Everyday, the guide let the group go over the limit; not even counting the dead, but not recovered birds. The last day we were over again, but on the drive back to the lodge, the guide says to 2 of the guys that didn't "get enough shooting" that he will stop on the side of the road when he sees a rooster and for them to jump out and shoot it right there on the road.

The more money that people pay to hunt, the more they expect to shoot until they are satisfied. Too many guides are letting them do just that. It's good for their business and it results in huge tips. Our guide received over $3000 in tips for 3 days. (None from me) Another party in the other lodge (This outfit has 3 buildings) went poaching every night. The lodge owner just chuckled about it each day. They were long time customers and also were very generous tippers.

So did you report these activities to the local Fish and Wildlife people? Doesn't sound like it? Whats wrong with you? FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe he is planning on going back shame

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot,... were you on a preserve or just a lodge,...if your on a preserve in SD the rules are different the season opens in september not october and there really aren't set bag limits but the preserve owner must record how many birds are harvested and replace more then he harvested for the year. They are checked by SD Fish and game weekly on there harvest numbers.

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I knew people involved in "waterfowlgate" in Wharton Co, TX back in the 80's. Some of it was just downright entrapment, like a undercover USFWS agent shooting over the limit, then ticketing the guide because of that.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote