New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for info on Knight .52
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For no particular reason , I went to Dick's sporting goods this past weekend. Guess I just wanted to see what they had . Well I start browsing the gun rack and one thing caught my eye . A price tag on one of the Muzzell oaders was onbly $99 . I look a little closer at the rifle and see it is a Knight Disc rifle( Stainless barrel/Camo pattern stock). Now I am not to knowledgeable about MZ's but I think this can not be right for Knight not with the name and quality rep they have. So I ask the guy behind the counter if it is the correct price, he shruggs and said " I think so but let me verify that" off he goes to ask the manager. The mgr comes over and say " yes it's right , the thing has sat in my inventory to long and needs to go" I asked if it was a used gun and he said "no Dick's does carry used guns at all". Well I imediately say I'll take it ( seems like I can't go wrong on this).
Got it home and mounted a scope I had on hand, pupt it up to my shoulder a few times and it feels great. Plan to take it out this wekend to shoot some. I think this will be my priamary hunting gun this year if I can teach myself how to make it shoot decently.
Any thoughts or comments on the Knight in general or recomended loads for the .52 cal?? would be appreciated greatly. I think it is a pretty good starter gun for my entry to Muzzel loading.

Posts: 43 | Location: Western NY | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you have a Knight extreme,a very good rifle and at $99 a very good deal,now it is a 52 cal.so bullet choices are limited.
The Red hot by Barnes would be a very good bullet, That is Knights brand.80 to 100 grains of T7
and you should be fine.
Redclub

Posts: 9 | Location: Fremont Wi. | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
There is this thread currently on page 2 here:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3821043/m/378101926

might want to send huntelk a PM and talk to him as well, or even better get him to post more in this thread.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tom it is nice to hear someone else bought a 52 cal. Kinght. I have been involved in many forum conversations about this cal. of muzzleloader. I will probably be questioned for some of the things I will share with you but I can assure you I have now shot my long range hunter in 52 cal well over 1000 times and not had any trouble at all. The draw backs as I see them are these. Only ONE brand of bullet in sabots out there. Barnes Red Hots. They are great bullets and preform more like a rifle bullet than anything I have ever shot out of a muzzleloader, TC included. Now some people will chime in and say the bullet is to hard and does not come apart like a powerbelt, well if you load and shot the gun the way it is intended to be shot you get a perfect mushroom, a killing machine. Depending on where you plan on hunting with it the bullet issue could be a problem. I have found one conical which is factory made in 52 cal. It is a hydracon conical anad made by Parker bullets, but I have only shot a few since where I hunt sabots are legal. Now as for the load I use, I have shot it all the way from 80 grains of 777 with the flat breech plug to 150 grains with the powerstem breech plug. In the beginning I had trouble with flyers with the max load so I backed off to 130 grains and had better luck. As I have gotten better at seating the bullet I have gone back 150 loose 777 with the powerstem and am very happy. People will say it is to hot, however it is the load Knight recommends and it works for me. The recoil is not as bad as people would think but I did put a simms pad on mine. Velocities are very impressive and I can shoot 2" groups at 200 yards. I think inspite of the bullet issues it is a great gun if you are looking for max preformance out of a muzzleloader. It is NOT a traditional gun and should never be compared to one.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I too live in area where Sabots are legal. The redhots are what I plan to use . Will post range results when I getout to the range ( hoepfully this weekend) I hope to post some succesful pix this fall. Though I haven't shot it as of yet, I do liek the feel it provides and will liely use it for all my hunting this fall.

Posts: 43 | Location: Western NY | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Just for your info., it is Tony Knight's favorite caliber; of course, in a Knight rifle!!!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote