New
Find
Notify
Tools

is this the next pandemic? Login/Join 
Picture of jeffeosso
posted
"White Lung syndrome"
No, i am not playing politics here - is this something we should be nationally concerned over?

https://www.foxnews.com/health...-white-lung-syndrome

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I doubt it. I am sure there will be those who will try and make a big deal about it. Will people get sick this winter? Of course.

It's been several years but I am presently dealing with a cold. Unpleasant but a typical cold. For sure caught via aerosol at an event last weekend.

If immunity has been changed in people it is more than likely a result of several factors, two of which that top my thoughts is lack of outdoor activities and low quality food. I believe those things can impact one's health negatively.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
"White Lung syndrome"
No, i am not playing politics here - is this something we should be nationally concerned over?

While I'm not a veterinarian, so I'm no expert on all things medical, I suspect what we're seeing is depressed immune systems from otherwise mild COVID infections letting a variety of normal respiratory infections gain ground.

We'll see if it moves up the age scale.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9578 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More accurately, the lack of regular exposure from the shutdowns is allowing immunity to common pathogens to wane.

Mycoplasma is a relatively common infection, but most fight it off with minimal symptoms.

Posts: 10648 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
More accurately, the lack of regular exposure from the shutdowns is allowing immunity to common pathogens to wane.

Mycoplasma is a relatively common infection, but most fight it off with minimal symptoms.

When were the last "shutdowns" in your world?

Posts: 9578 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year.

Most nursing homes and schools were exercising various “social distancing” and masking protocols until this summer.

Posts: 10648 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...id=socialshare&ei=24

CDC Director: Threat of respiratory illnesses underway

CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta reports on current virus news, and then in a report for “Vital Signs” he speaks to researchers exploring the use of phages, a naturally occurring virus that destroys bacteria, to see if they can be used as an alternative treatment method for antimicrobial resistant infections.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...e1d683eb1497d&ei=124

Forget the ‘tripledemic.’ The U.S. is headed for a ‘syndemic’ this winter—and experts warn we’re not prepared
Story by Erin Prater • 3h

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...e1d683eb1497d&ei=164

Second US State Records Mysterious Pneumonia Outbreak — As Fears of Global Outbreak Continue
Story by Mansur Shaheen • 10h

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...e1d683eb1497d&ei=176

The Tripledemic Is in ‘Full Swing,’ CDC Chief Warns
Story by Hannah Murphy • 7h

Hospitals are reporting an increase of cases of the flu, COVID and RSV

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19768 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is there scientific evidence for this? Seems like too short a period of time to start losing immunity.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15127 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
I went for one of my twice yearly exposures to all the bugs which are currently around on Friday. Spent an hour on the London tube network.

Be interesting to see if I develop the plague by next weekend.

Posts: 7188 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

Is there scientific evidence for this? Seems like too short a period of time to start losing immunity.

It may apply mostly to young children. That would be my assumption.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In a word…yes. Immunity does not come out of a universal mold. It is multifaceted, pluripotent, versatile, and driven by many things.

But one universal factor to robust immunity is exposure. In a day walking through an office building in Dallas in the winter…you get exposed to many respiratory pathogens daily. It keeps your immune system on cutting edge. Of the thousands of pathogens you encounter daily…you rarely get sick and only when you encounter that unique virus/bacteria that has cloaked itself via mutation. These encounters are probably something on the order of one in a million of encounters.

Thus horses who are held isolated on farms from daily social exposures to cosmopolitan pathens, get particularly vulnerable when introduced suddenly to global populations. Therefore we have to vaccinate for influenza (and other respiratory viruses) up to quarterly to keep them immune.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36643 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

In a word…yes. Immunity does not come out of a universal mold. It is multifaceted, pluripotent, versatile, and driven by many things.

But one universal factor to robust immunity is exposure. In a day walking through an office building in Dallas in the winter…you get exposed to many respiratory pathogens daily. It keeps your immune system on cutting edge. Of the thousands of pathogens you encounter daily…you rarely get sick and only when you encounter that unique virus/bacteria that has cloaked itself via mutation. These encounters are probably something on the order of one in a million of encounters.

Thus horses who are held isolated on farms from daily social exposures to cosmopolitan pathens, get particularly vulnerable when introduced suddenly to global populations. Therefore we have to vaccinate for influenza (and other respiratory viruses) up to quarterly to keep them immune.

You should just walk them through Dallas office buildings, I hear they are disease-ridden sewers.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

You should just walk them through Dallas office buildings, I hear they are disease-ridden sewers.

The other thing science tells us is that the vast majority of respiratory pathogens are species specific.

But since that knowledge comes from understanding science…I am sure you wouldn’t know anything about that. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36643 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what I read from that is that the lockdowns of entire populations, whilst well intentioned, tends to just prolong the health issues and change it from a short sharp shock, too a prolonged malaise.

Posts: 4259 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was actually what they were hoping for when they did the shutdowns on a scientific basis.

They wanted to slow the curve of illness; which then became a political hot potato of all these folks believing that they would be protected from ever getting sick if they isolated and the shutdowns continued well past any medical reason to continue them.

But now kids who would have been exposed to numerous low level cases of RSV didn't get exposed... and now are returning to day care (or their first in school experiences) and as cold weather hits here, they are inside in a contained environment.

Their immune systems have not been challenged with the variety and numbers of illnesses that they had before.

They are not talking about new things. Mycoplasma, Rhinoviruses, RSV, etc.

What's new is the relative immunodeficiency and the likelihood of getting multiple infections at the same time.

And yes, Dallas office buildings are disease sewers... as are any large communal building. Among the worst... Hospitals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
"White Lung syndrome"

Many of the most vulnerable are already COVID-dead...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14387 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was actually what they were hoping for when they did the shutdowns on a scientific basis.

They wanted to slow the curve of illness; which then became a political hot potato of all these folks believing that they would be protected from ever getting sick if they isolated and the shutdowns continued well past any medical reason to continue them.

But now kids who would have been exposed to numerous low level cases of RSV didn't get exposed... and now are returning to day care (or their first in school experiences) and as cold weather hits here, they are inside in a contained environment.

Their immune systems have not been challenged with the variety and numbers of illnesses that they had before.

They are not talking about new things. Mycoplasma, Rhinoviruses, RSV, etc.

What's new is the relative immunodeficiency and the likelihood of getting multiple infections at the same time.

And yes, Dallas office buildings are disease sewers... as are any large communal building. Among the worst... Hospitals.

I felt safer spending the day at Fort Detrick than I would spending a day in a hospital.