THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    A tribute to the type of men who brought me up (non political post)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A tribute to the type of men who brought me up (non political post) Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

There was a reason for that big vacant square in central west and north west Texas. Part of it was water…but mostly it was Comanche.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36624 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well jeffi, as the gov supplies the subsidy money to buy the syrup for the co-op, it's gov run in canada.
Try something besides wikipedia for your info.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Bingo.

I was about to post that before I read this. One in four were blacks. There were many Mexicans and part Indians among them.

The white male dominated journalists and Hollywood sold a different story. Yes they SOLD it.

I have been a BIG fan of Louis Lamour and read almost all of his book over the last 60 years. I even owned most o them at various stages and still own about 30. I still re-read those book. He has written of a few black cowboys and many Mexicans and part Indians.

Lane's POLITICAL BS post just shows how deluded he is. He has absolutely no clue of reality outside his white narrative bubble.

quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
It is hilarious that the archetypical American Hero is the cowboy, a migrant farm worker.

Why do the movies and TV shows never mention how many of them weren't white?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
YES! LIBERALS. Remember THOOOOOSE DAYS? rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
The blacks on cattle drives were free men.

Freed by a Republican. rotflmo holycow holycow holycow holycow holycow

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! My family goes back into the 1800s in South Texas and the Trans Pecos, My gandfather went on the last big cattle drive. He got word that cattle were being stolen at his parents place and quit to join the Texas Rangers at 14 years old. He served his time with the Ranger service and lastly as the deputy sheriff of Marfa, Texas. He is well documented in the files of the service.He never mentioned prejudice that I recall. but he wasn't exposed to blacks, just Mexican bandits, mostly on the King ranch and the Neuaces strip. In his later years he would meet with his old friends and I listened to ever word they spoke, It was fact not BS, I have photographs and his letters to mom. He was my hero and still is and he was one hell of a cowboy even at old age..

The cowboy isn't dead, he has survived and plenty of them, me for one and all my present family, God bless cowboys. Smiler

Cowboy logic reference to blacks: son, if ya skint one of them you couldn't tell the difference, the color of a mans skin don't mean much, its whats inside that counts..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Why do some of us look back on "the good old days" fondly?
This.

This OP has a ton of neato, lore, a great story, whatever. Whether we watch the Western movies, read Luis LAmour or just think horses are neat, these stories and pictures feed that.

I find the young adult Americans that express a desire to stay near Mom and dad, "there's no place like home", a need for safe spaces and a comfort zone to be disappointing. I suspect most of our ancestors would agree with me as they were travelers and immigrants also. On my mother's side I am 4th generation straight outta Finland and Norway.

I really ain't all that interested in how ethnically diverse the historical frontier was, my ancestors, the farmers, ranchers, plumbers and soldiers I have pictures of were white, Honkey. Jeff I'm sure we're all really happy your mantle is full of pictures of black slave cowboys. moon

The black slave cowboys were the ones who kept the ranches going while all the heroes were off to the civil war to keep them slaves.

There weren’t really ranches as we know them now in that time period. The King Ranch was one of the first. The cattle that were driven out were from Deep South Texas and there were no slave cowboys down there…definitely vaqueros though. And, most of the cattle were feral cattle. As the trail drives began picking up after the Civil War. Freedmen from East Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi certainly did migrate towards this line of work and there certainly was a small percentage of drovers and cowboys at the time who were black.

I'm sure the Bullock Museum would appreciate you contacting them to correct their misconception, museums are usually big on historical accuracy:

quote:
By the 1830s, settlers had blended eastern ranching techniques with those of their Spanish-Mexican predecessors. Cattle and beef were abundant in the Colony. Over the next decade, the upheaval of the Texas Revolution and Mexican-American War left large quantities of land and cattle abandoned by Mexican ranchers. American settlers began to spread into arid northern and western Texas, and the longhorn went with them. Through the ‘40s and ‘50s, the Texas ranching economy took off.

Link

Please tell me again what part I got incorrect. Confused

They are under the mistaken impression that cattle ranching was ongoing prior to the Late Unpleasantness, and since King didn't buy his first parcel until 1853 they are obviously mistaken about the doin's in West and North Texas in the 1840s and 50s, which they wrongly characterize as "the Texas ranching economy" taking off.

You missed the part where I said there were no ranches as we know today in that time frame — Capt King was one of the first.

As to ranches in West and North Texas in that time frame…there were damn few as the Comanche ruled that country. There may have been those that tried it but it never took off until McKenzie finally conquered Quanah Parker. Jacksboro with Ft. Richardson was about as far in the northwest part as it was safe to ranch until then.

The cattle that went to drives up trails mainly came from south Texas…south of a line from Houston to Del Rio through San Antonio.

Ranald mckenzie! Now there was a man!

Old gomer will have some "fact" about him to be little the man....just wait for it.....

And I'm sure that in Bug tussle Tennessee they teach a whole bunch of Texas history......can you imagine Tennessee history? Thirty minutes on Daniel boone.....then nothing.....hell they never even were their own republic.....

Captain king made his money blockade running during the civil war, like Shanghai Pierce.....the beef cattle industry didn't really kick off in Texas until after the civil war.....before that it was just hides and tallow......

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Bingo.

I was about to post that before I read this. One in four were blacks. There were many Mexicans and part Indians among them.

The white male dominated journalists and Hollywood sold a different story. Yes they SOLD it.

I have been a BIG fan of Louis Lamour and read almost all of his book over the last 60 years. I even owned most o them at various stages and still own about 30. I still re-read those book. He has written of a few black cowboys and many Mexicans and part Indians.

Lane's POLITICAL BS post just shows how deluded he is. He has absolutely no clue of reality outside his white narrative bubble.

quote:
It is hilarious that the archetypical American Hero is the cowboy, a migrant farm worker.

Why do the movies and TV shows never mention how many of them weren't white?

Yeah well....A whole lot of Pakis that had to flee to a European run country to collect welfare so they could feed their families are experts on Texas history......so between you and gomer Pyle y'all got it all figured out animal

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote