Tools

FL where the GOP indoctrinates slavery had benefits Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

I get that the implication that someone should be grateful that their ancestor was a slave is bad, and wrong… but similarly they should be grateful that they are here instead of wherever they were before- and if they really feel they are not,emigrate back to wherever.

I have no interest in returning to Norway, Germany, Ireland, England, or any of the dozen other places my relatives came from (that I know of…) to live.

Butler, I am not taking issue with you, but I quoted your post because I want to expand my position (as I am being painted as the guy who thinks that African Americans should be thanking us for slavery -an assertion that I have never made).

I find it offensive when anyone asserts that “blacks should go back to Africa if they think they have it so bad here”. And yes, I do realize that you weren’t saying that.

The reason that I find it offensive is that the descendants of slaves have no where to “go back to”. For better or worse, the twists and turns of history have placed them here in America, therefore they are Americans just like the rest of us. And just like the rest of us, they are of mixed ancestry which means that they, like most everyone else in America, can’t claim to belong to any single country other than the United States.

And as LHeym has pointed out, they deserve to be afforded every opportunity that America offers the rest of its citizens.

Your ancestors were part of the millions of Union soldiers who fought, and the hundreds of thousands who died, fighting and winning the war that ended slavery. They deserve to be mentioned alongside the white and black Americans who fought slavery long before the nation was ready to fight a war over the institution.

Getting back to the topic at hand: should schools teach that “slavery benefited the slaves by teaching them skills?”

I believe that it would be better to teach them about the industrious men who were born slaves, but went on to become successful men and women. Some of whom became rich by any standard.

But I guess that doesn’t follow the victim narrative that is being pushed.

Looks like you learned something yourself.

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
Plenty of folks here have already stated that slavery was beneficial to slaves because they learned how to shoe horses.

Mike, your lack of comprehension is absurd. Beyond absurd actually.

The only person who mentioned “shoeing horses” was Roland, and he was being facetious. I guess your victim mentality twisted that into the idea that “plenty of folks” made the assertion??
Roll Eyes

For the record, I didn’t make fun of your profession, I made fun of the idea that anyone as sensitive and easily offended as you could actually argue a case.

And I shouldn’t need to apologize for pointing out that some/many of your ancestors were treated horribly, that some of your ancestors were raped, some of whom undoubtedly conceived children as a result of those rapes.

Every single one of us has ancestors who went through things that we can’t even begin to imagine.

You are an educated adult, you should have already known that.

*and if you want me to “leave you alone” then keep my name out of your posts and keep your trap shut when you feel the need to police my speech.

Just for fun: I will be in Zambia in a few weeks, I’ll ask some Africans if they ever wish that their ancestors had been brought to America as slaves. You know, since theback40 is doing all the heavy lifting stateside…

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
I didn't learn any such thing. I never purported to speak for all black people--that's your own fantasy talking. If you didn't post so much, you might have learned something yourself.

I'm not black, but I have empathy and imagination to tell me that I would be offended by the statement. It's not a question, even if you disguise it as such.

Yes, you absolutely did assert that you spoke for all black people. I guess you forgot when you said that my question could never be asked of a black person without causing offense??

I will hand it to you, you do have a hell of an imagination to believe that your “empathy” allows you to know what will offend anyone other than yourself.

*you would do well to understand that every question contains a statement, and every statement questions itself.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never asserted any such thing. You're making up facts to suit your argument again.

It doesn't take much imagination and empathy to tell when you might offend someone. People make these judgments all the time. If I go to a guy's house and tell him his wife is fat and ugly, my empathy and imagination tell me he'll be offended.

Come on. You really can't be as much of a clod as you come off.

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never asserted any such thing. You're making up facts to suit your argument again.

It doesn't take much imagination and empathy to tell when you might offend someone. People make these judgments all the time. If I go to a guy's house and tell him his wife is fat and ugly, my empathy and imagination tell me he'll be offended.

So when you said that it is a fact “that you can't ask the question of black people without giving offense“ you weren’t making a blanket statement pertaining to all African Americans?

You do realize that there is a difference between insulting someone’s wife, and pointing out the consequences of historical events, right?

quote:
quote:
Nah, you didn't show me a thing

Roland the brash idealist last week, telling us what we can’t do and speaking for an entire race of people:

quote:

“the fact that you can't ask the question of black people without giving offense”

Roland so prudent and sensible today, sharing what he “thinks” and mentioning “potential” outcomes:

quote:
I do think the question is potentially offensive if asked by a white person of a black person.

I’m proud of you, you have shown amazing growth this week!

You are correct that I probably didn’t teach you anything. Maybe it was Lane? Regardless, that shows some real learning on your part.

Now if you can apply that learning to your other areas of racial bias…

Smiler

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tricky, tricky Jason. You can't pony up, so you turn into a moving target.

First you claim, "Yes, you absolutely did assert that you spoke for all black people."

You couldn't produce evidence to support your claim, so you change the claim. Now, it's "you said that it is a fact 'that you can't ask the question of black people without giving offense.'"

But I didn't say that either. You've only produced a partial quote taken out of context.

Last time we discussed this, I had a big project I was working on. This time I have no project. This time you have my full attention.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little rusty on dates and such, as it has been awhile since I read up on it last.
Around 1800 when UK abolished slavery, they offered and took freed slaves to Sierra Leone. That included free and escaped slaves that were in Canada. I dont remember the numbers, but some Europeans with black partners went with them.
I dont remember the reason..... but a rebellion ensued at one point. The Brits brought in Jamaican soldiers to keep the peace. They in turn, took the best houses and farms from their owners, and MOL made slaves out of some of the original settlers.
In the US, around 1840 ?, a group started the same offer to freed and escaped slaves. They were dropped off in Liberia, just below Sierra Leone. The original inhabitants, maybe by force, sold land to the new black settlers. James Monroe, later to become president, was one of the founders of returning slaves that wanted to go. After the civil war, an offer was put out in America that 25 acres was available to any freed slaves that would come and grow the new country.
Some did, but many chose to stay.
The capitol of Liberia was named Monrovia, after James Monroe. No one was allowed to have slaves in Liberia
There is far more info if you want to read up on it. But, it is not entirely true the blacks had no place to go. There was a choice, and it was paid for to get there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Plenty of folks here have already stated that slavery was beneficial to slaves because they learned how to shoe horses.

Mike, your lack of comprehension is absurd. Beyond absurd actually.

The only person who mentioned “shoeing horses” was Roland, and he was being facetious. I guess your victim mentality twisted that into the idea that “plenty of folks” made the assertion??
Roll Eyes

For the record, I didn’t make fun of your profession, I made fun of the idea that anyone as sensitive and easily offended as you could actually argue a case.

And I shouldn’t need to apologize for pointing out that some/many of your ancestors were treated horribly, that some of your ancestors were raped, some of whom undoubtedly conceived children as a result of those rapes.

Every single one of us has ancestors who went through things that we can’t even begin to imagine.

You are an educated adult, you should have already known that.

*and if you want me to “leave you alone” then keep my name out of your posts and keep your trap shut when you feel the need to police my speech.

Just for fun: I will be in Zambia in a few weeks, I’ll ask some Africans if they ever wish that their ancestors had been brought to America as slaves. You know, since theback40 is doing all the heavy lifting stateside…

Sorry dude, but you're the fucking idiot. DeSantis started the "slavery was beneficial because slaves learned blacksmithing."

What's beyond absurd is your insistence on continuing to assert that it's appropriate to advocate the position that slavery was beneficial to slaves. The level of stupidity defies belief. Actually, that's not correct. With you, I believe it.

https://www.businessinsider.in...leshow/102061423.cms

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have often seen people who refuse to see, or refuse to hear, but I have seldom seen someone as deliberately obtuse as you are, Mike. You win. Your ability to lie, name call, and misrepresent is beyond what a poor high school drop out, like myself, can manage. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3525 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I have often seen people who refuse to see, or refuse to hear, but I have seldom seen someone as deliberately obtuse as you are, Mike. You win. Your ability to lie, name call, and misrepresent is beyond what a poor high school drop out, like myself, can manage. Regards, Bill.

Tell it to all of the republican presidential contenders and pretty much everybody else who see it just as I do...Bill. Your ability to be unable to understand the basic concept that calling slavery beneficial is idiotic shows that you are what you just said you are...a poor high school dropout. You said it, not me.

And, please point out anything that I have posted that was a lie or a misrepresentation.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's beyond absurd is your insistence on continuing to assert that it's appropriate to advocate the position that slavery was beneficial to slaves. The level of stupidity defies belief.

It's off the scale stupidity.

Posts: 15878 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure it's stupid. I think it's calculated. A way to defeat the reparations movement.

The subtext is, "Black people should be grateful for what they've got."

It's got a superficial appeal in logic to those who are, yes, stupid, to bigots, and to the insensitive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
FL did pass its version on the South Carolina Seaman’s Act of 1822.

In the wake of the trial and execution of the slaves involved in Vesey’s attempted uprising in 1822, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Louisiana passed the Negro Seaman Acts in an effort to curtail the freedoms of black sailors.21 Ships entering ports in these states were required by law to incarcerate black crewmen in city jails.

https://cupola.gettysburg.edu/...cle=1070&context=ghj

There was a time when the English were upset at Spanish Florida, where escaped slaves were not returned to their English masters.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Is the argument here that none of the skills one developed as a slave are beneficial to their prospects post Emancipation?

What I am reading in this thread is that DeSantis' words are being twisted to infer that the whole of slavery was beneficial to enslaved Africans.
He is not saying this and the stance that he did is dishonest on it's face.

It is a certainty that some slaves learned skills that they were able to apply post Emancipation. To argue against that is just foolish.

That said, would they have been better off not being slaves at all? Of course.
Nobody is arguing that point and the adults here shouldn't pretend anybody is.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry dude, but you're the fucking idiot. DeSantis started the "slavery was beneficial because slaves learned blacksmithing."

What's beyond absurd is your insistence on continuing to assert that it's appropriate to advocate the position that slavery was beneficial to slaves.

Mike, I have never claimed that slavery was beneficial to slaves. That position is absurd.

I have a hard time believing that you are an attorney. I’ve never known an attorney who resorts to name calling the way you do.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tricky, tricky Jason. You can't pony up, so you turn into a moving target.

First you claim, "Yes, you absolutely did assert that you spoke for all black people."

You couldn't produce evidence to support your claim, so you change the claim. Now, it's "you said that it is a fact 'that you can't ask the question of black people without giving offense.'"

But I didn't say that either. You've only produced a partial quote taken out of context.

That quote was your own words.

I don’t see how it could be taken any other way.

Theback40 has demonstrthat your assertion was incorrect, and that the question can be asked without giving offense. Further, he has demonstrated that this question is one that African Americans discuss amongst themselves.

quote:
I'm not sure it's stupid. I think it's calculated. A way to defeat the reparations movement.

The subtext is, "Black people should be grateful for what they've got."

It's got a superficial appeal in logic to those who are, yes, stupid, to bigots, and to the insensitive.

I believe it is more of an attempt to argue against the idea that the descendants of slaves who are living today are victims of the slave trade.

How can you be a victim of something that you owe your very existence to? After all, would a single person alive today, who is a descendant of African American slaves, exist if not for the trans Atlantic slave trade?

“Grateful for” isn’t the term I would use. “Aware of” seems more fitting.

Jason

-Jason Brown