Notify
Tools

This guy is a hero and we put him on trial... Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:
I have a soft spot because this guy could have been my Dad.

Your Dad goes outside & shoots people minor trespassing?

No you missed the point, my dad is an elderly rancher that values property rights. I wouldnt do it and i would pray that he wouldnt either. Im merely saying i know how it can happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
“Property Rights” are not sufficient anywhere to justify a homicide.

That is what a killing is that is perfect self-defense. The legal concept is justifiably homicide. The justification comes from the use of lethal self-defense to combat the threat of death or serious physical injury. One must posses the subjective belief and objective belief.

This man was innocent the day he stepped in the courtroom. The state failed to strip him of that legal presumption.

However, we need to purge from our belief system and minds that we can kill in justification over “property rights.” That is not a legal justification.

There are certain crimes flag as triggering a lethal self-defense. That is because the nature of the crime is violent by legal definition such as robbery (requires force or threat of force in KY), car jacking, felony assaults, and Burglary 1st (requires a weapon to be used in KY). KY is a hard thou shall not use lethal self defense on a fleeing person regardless of the crime. The threat is removing away from you. Thus, there is no immediate, objective threat. Maybe, the grand jury has sympathy on the fact pattern and does not indict. Maybe, the jury says the person got what they deserved.

There is a lot of maybe in a good case. One needs to stack the maybes in their favor.

This is not a critique of this case. I have not set through the trial, heard the testimony, seen the exhibits, and read the jury instructions.

It is a critique of this myth of property rights are killing rights I am critiquing. No where in our states does one have that legal justification. Now, the location is a fact used to access the subjective and objective standards.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
“Property Rights” are not sufficient anywhere to justify a homicide.

That is what a killing is that is perfect self-defense. The legal concept is justifiably homicide. The justification comes from the use of lethal self-defense to combat the threat of death or serious physical injury. One must posses the subjective belief and objective belief.

This man was innocent the day he stepped in the courtroom. The state failed to strip him of that legal presumption.

However, we need to purge from our belief system and minds that we can kill in justification over “property rights.” That is not a legal justification.

The Twain certain crime flag as triggering a lethal self-defense is because the nature of the crime is violent by legal definition such as robbery (requires force or threat of force in KY), car jacking, felony assaults, and Burglary 1st (requires a weapon to be used in KY). KY is a hard thou shall not use lethal self defense on a fleeing person regardless of the crime. The threat is removing away from you. This, there is no immediate, objective threat. Maybe, the grand jury has sympathy on the fact pattern and does not indict. Maybe, the jury says tge person got what they deserved.

There is a lot of maybe in a good case. One needs to stack the maybes in their favor.

I his is not a critique of this care. I have not set through the trial, heard the testimony, seen the exhibit la, and read the jury instructions.

It is a critique of this myth of property rights are killing rights I am critiquing. No where in our states does one have that legal justification. Now, the location is a fact used to access the subjective and objective standards.

Reasonable explanation.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zebrazapper:
quote:
If that is accurate, there will not be a retrial.

I read summary of Defense argument attacking the credibility of the police as attributing falsely statements of the man killing people.

Never a good sign when your cops are backed into a corner having fabricated matters. See OJ.

Are you saying some good ole boy cops from nowhere texas stretched the truth a bit? I grew up on a ranch in no where texas and i have to tell you the cops there would help you bury the body. By the way, all my statements aside, these guys get a raw deal in ranch country. Maybe a mistake was made or maybe not but this is a symptom of the bigger border crisis. I have a soft spot because this guy could have been my Dad.

BOOM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36621 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
April 29, 2024 Associated Press release:

Prosecutors say they will not retry an Arizona rancher accused of murder near the US-Mexico border

The article suggests there will be a hearing at a later date to determine whether this case will be dismissed with prejudice.

Posts: 2941 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is interesting bc in KY a judge cannot dismiss a case w prejudice over the objection of the prosecution.

However, if you are not going to retry, why care? Dismiss it with prejudice. The prosecution’s liability/ immunity is not dependent upon with prejudice. With prejudice despite what the police think will not insulate them from all civil rights violations that maybe at play.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it’s an acknowledgement that a lot of prosecutions are somewhat political?

I thought the reason for dismissal with predjudice was essentially saying that this case should never have been brought, and don’t waste the court’s time again.

It’s intended to be a rebuke of the persons bringing the case.

Since the prosecution is bringing the case, they really shouldn’t be allowed to reject it being dismissed with predjudice. (Speaking to your comment re KY law…)

Of course, I always had thought dismissal with predjudice was only in civil trials, so it’s something new here.

quote:
That is interesting bc in KY a judge cannot dismiss a case w prejudice over the objection of the prosecution.

However, if you are not going to retry, why care? Dismiss it with prejudice. The prosecution’s liability/ immunity is not dependent upon with prejudice. With prejudice despite what the police think will not insulate them from all civil rights violations that maybe at play.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dismissal with prejudice means the claims or charges cannot be brought again based on the same conduct or occurrence. (My own definition; I don't remember the legal one.)

In civil cases, settlement agreements always call for a dismissal with prejudice...unless counsel is negligent themself.

Posts: 6121 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
Dismissal with prejudice means the claims or charges cannot be brought again based on the same conduct or occurrence. (My own definition; I don't remember the legal one.)

In civil cases, settlement agreements always call for a dismissal with prejudice...unless counsel is negligent themself.

Correct. Dismissal with prejudice means the case cannot be refiled.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15099 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, if you are not going to retry it why make a fight over it.

Either retry him or let it go.

Of course, here that decision is left to the prosecution and not the judge by c
precedent.

I understand if you want to retry the case dismissing wo prejudice. However, we are told the prosecution is not going to retry it.

I just figured it out.

The prosecution may want to try another charge like negligent homicide. Tye fact pattern is same occurrence. Ty’s, a dismissal w prejudice would cause jeopardy to attach to any other crime the prosecution may want to come back with.

That is all that makes sense to me.