Paxton acquitted - miscarriage of justice Login/Join 
Picture of jeffeosso
posted
what a travesty

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And yet, totally predictable. It seems that accountability is not something the GOP currently embraces. See those backing Trump as exhibit A.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
With each passing day I am more and more disenchanted with the GOP, nationally and in Texas. While I once believed that the GOP properly held itself to a higher standard than the Dems, anymore I see very little difference between how the parties function when it comes to honesty, integrity, ethics, etc. Maybe the best thing Trump will do for the country is to destroy the GOP in its current incarnation molded in his image.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
With each passing day I am more and more disenchanted with the GOP, nationally and in Texas. While I once believed that the GOP properly held itself to a higher standard than the Dems, anymore I see very little difference between how the parties function when it comes to honesty, integrity, ethics, etc. Maybe the best thing Trump will do for the country is to destroy the GOP in its current incarnation molded in his image.

You're getting there. Next you will realize who has been telling you that the Democrats were corrupt without ever producing evidence, just like they are currently doing with Biden. The smears against Kerry were fabricated, Hillary wasn't molesting children in the basement of a pizzaria with no basement...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The Democratic Party has nothing to commend them to any thinking American. Their policies are largely an an affront to notions of personal and fiscal responsibility and the character of the party leaders is as morally bankrupt as those in the Republican Party. Perhaps an independent party would offer some hope to the vast number of Americans who, like myself, feel that with one party pandering to the fringe left and the other pandering to the fringe right, neither hold any redeeming value.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...fca2c3d5d58c4b&ei=38

(excerpts)

Texas attorney general acquitted in historic impeachment trial
Story by Eva Ruth Moravec, Molly Hennessy-Fiske • 1h

Prosecutors argued that the attorney general had turned his powerful office over to Paul and that the developer was using it to go after his enemies. But the defense team slammed the proceeding as a political witch hunt orchestrated by Paxton’s rivals. His conservative backers amplified that claim both in and outside of Texas.

In recent days, Trump surrogates and allies pressured Republican senators not to impeach Paxton, posting names and phone numbers of potential impeachment swing voters and urging Paxton supporters to phone their offices. Conservative activists threatened to mount primary challenges to those who voted to convict, as they already have against Republicans in the House.

The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee blasted the GOP senators on Saturday. “The vote … to acquit an indicted felon under an FBI investigation is emblematic of how extreme Republicans have gotten in state legislatures,” its statement said, alluding to separate felony charges he faces. “If you believe in the rule of law and that politicians shouldn’t be able to buy themselves out of breaking the law, it’s time to elect Democrats up and down the ballot in Texas and across the country.”

The prosecution called 15 people to the stand during the trial, compared to just four called by the defense. With Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick presiding, each side had 27 hours to make opening and closing arguments, present evidence and cross-examine witnesses.

The deliberations were rife with potential conflicts of interest. Paxton’s career includes six terms in the Texas House and two years in the Senate, serving in the seat that his wife now holds, so he knows many of its members. One was caught up in the articles of impeachment: Sen. Bryan Hughes (R), accused of helping Paxton exploit his office to aid Paul, who in turn hired a woman with whom Paxton was having an affair. The woman, Laura Olson, later worked for Sen. Donna Campbell (R).

Initially, Ken Paxton faced 20 charges. The Senate’s impeachment rules committee set aside four involving his private business dealings that House investigators alleged were obstruction of justice and false statements in official records. Before adjourning, senators voted to dismiss all of them.

Separately, Paxton is still contending with felony securities fraud charges — he was indicted months after he took office as attorney general in 2015 — but that case has languished as lawyers fought over where he should be tried. A hearing is scheduled in Houston on Oct. 6.

Before the Texas House impeached Paxton by an overwhelming margin in May, the only two officials to have been impeached in state history were a governor in 1917 and a district judge in 1975. Both were accused of misuse of public funds. Both were removed from office.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19765 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No surprise. One corrupt republican being judged by a group of corrupt republicans.

Be interesting to see how the FBI investigation turns out. He's still looking at possible federal charges relating to the same issues and, of course, his felony securities fraud case that has now been pending for 8 years.

Embarrassed to be from Texas today and I never thought I'd say that. barf

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15122 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...fca2c3d5d58c4b&ei=54

Timeline leading to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's acquittal in his impeachment trial - 1h

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19765 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't know all the details, but from some of the snippets I saw the defense attorney was kicking their ass. Including one witness who alleged all kinds of criminal behavior in Paxton's office but then applied for a job there. Wonder why anyone would do that.

Posts: 315 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P. Jilek:
I certainly don't know all the details, but from some of the snippets I saw the defense attorney was kicking their ass. Including one witness who alleged all kinds of criminal behavior in Paxton's office but then applied for a job there. Wonder why anyone would do that.

Buzbee was certainly the loudest one in the room.

I always find it amusing that republicans like Paxton quack about Plaintiff's lawyers and how awful they are and how they advocate tort reform constantly....but, when their balls are in a sling, who do they go to?

As for applying for a job at the Texas AG's office, do you know how many people they employ? There are plenty (probably most) of the lawyers who work for the AG that damn well know he is a crook and a liar and corrupt. The fact the Paxton is a crook in no way reflects on the integrity of the rest of the Texas AG's office. I deal with their lawyers all the time and they are a hard-working, straightforward group of attorneys who are as ethical as the day is long. Their boss is a sack of shit but that shouldn't reflect on them.

This was a straight up political decision. Texas republicans aren't going to kick a fellow republican out of office. And, it didn't make any difference that the evidence of wrongdoing was overwhelming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Democratic Party has nothing to commend them to any thinking American. Their policies are largely an an affront to notions of personal and fiscal responsibility and the character of the party leaders is as morally bankrupt as those in the Republican Party. Perhaps an independent party would offer some hope to the vast number of Americans who, like myself, feel that with one party pandering to the fringe left and the other pandering to the fringe right, neither hold any redeeming value.

Not sure today is the day to be trash-talking the democrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, all those Dem pillars of the political world.
Rod Blogojevich
Albert Bustamante soliciting bribes
Andrew may same as above
Austin Murphy voter fraud
Bertran Podell conspiracy
Sandy Berger stealing papers
Ted Kennedy leaving the scene with a death resulting
Carroll Hubbard money funneling

You could go on and on with the Dems, or flip the switch and do the same with the Repubs.
If they are a politician, they are dirty.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I wonder if, when federally convicted, if he'll try to keep his job

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

more statement of facts and opinion as fact, than trash talking THE PARTY, comrade

#dumptrump

476AR,

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wonderful!

I have been saying this for donkey's years rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67007 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

The problem with an independent party is that there are not enough votes to get someone elected, plus the two current parties will go out of the way to be positive it does not become viable and ruin the cash grab.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
quote:

more statement of facts and opinion as fact, than trash talking THE PARTY, comrade

Comrade?

Saying the Democrats are the same as the republicans is like saying trump equals Biden. Simply not true. I certainly understand policy disagreements. That's politics.

The fact of the matter is that there is no viable third party nor will there be one for the foreseeable future. So, you can vote for the man who tried to overturn the results of a general election through sedition, violence and treason or you can vote for a democrat. Or you can waste your vote on a third party candidate or independent who has zero chance of being elected. That's just reality.

In the meantime and to circle back: "Paxton was 100% guilty of what he was accused of and They circled the wagons around yet another dishonest, corrupt, and extremist politician because their extremist donors told them to. Six of them voted to dismiss the whole thing before a single fact was presented. The fix was always in."

And, you know what? The idiot republican majority in Texas will re-elect him.

Don't tell me that Democrats and Republicans are the same as some sort of a justification or rationale when we see yet another example of Republican corruption and dishonesty like we saw yesterday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fascism 102:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4be04864d9dce3&ei=29

Texas AG Ken Paxton is back on job after acquittal but Republicans aren't done attacking each other
Story by By PAUL J. WEBER and JUAN A. LOZANO, Associated Press •
5h

XXX

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't tell me that Democrats and Republicans are the same as some sort of a justification or rationale when we see yet another example of Republican corruption and dishonesty like we saw yesterday.

Be honest with yourself. There is not a dime's bit of difference between the two parties. Both pander to a fringe base, a fringe base that advocates for policies that the majority of Americans disagree with, e.g., no restrictions on abortions versus no abortions period. Both are rife with corruption, e.g., Hunter Biden gets a political wink and Ken Paxton gets a political wink. Both have no interest in any concept approaching consensus governance, e.g., the proliferation of executive orders to implement policy versus legislation. It has become a choice between the lesser of two evils. When the Republicans are in control, 60-70% of the country feels that the country is headed in the wrong direction. When the Democrats are in control, 60-70% of the country feels that the country is headed in the wrong direction. A contest to see who is the tallest midget. Neither party serves the best interests of the majority of Americans. It is abundantly clear that neither party is the "solution" to the nation's current ills.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a video of Lt Gov Dan Patrick's speech on the impeachment. It is convincing.

However, I don't know if he's misrepresenting the rules of the House, and/or other things, or telling the truth.

Anyway, some herein surely know.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/vide...=yt&ocid=socialshare

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick blasts House for handling of Paxton impeachment process

Also:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...yA3?ocid=socialshare

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
@mjines,
To be honest…there is a lot of truth in what you say above.

The difference between the 2 parties boils down to general trends in governance. One (D) being totally unacceptable and one (R) being slightly palatable. Today, it is a binary choice…I vote palatable. But, I do work within for improvement.

Hence my mantra: “Tick the (R) box in the General…always vote in Primaries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36638 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing palatable about mandated, State enforced pray;
The State being permitted to criminalize consenting adult relationships;
The state being permitted to void consenting adult’s marriage.
The State forcing a child to deliver a baby.
The State having an adult to bleed out and become sterile.
The Party calling to declaring the Equal Protection Amendments void. I say repeal.
The Support for a duly defeated President who called for the Continuation to be suspended, he to be reinstated to power.
There is nothing palatable about President Trump’s taking, keeping, and displaying Top Secret Documents legality notwithstanding.
There is nothing palatable about a State or ding doctor’s to detransition patients.
There is nothing palatable about calling Gay people Abominations.
There is nothing palatable about State racial gerrymandering to defeat prevent a racial minority from electing representation. Then defying the S. Ct., on the issue.
There is nothing palatable about a msn found by preponderance of the evidence to have sexually assaulted someone being supported by the most holy Veterinarian on AR.
What is not palatable is your continued attempts to mitigate and justify 19th Century Chattel Slavery in the United States.

It is not Palatable how the GOP as a whole reacted to Liz Chaney telling the cave dwellers the images on the Cave were not real.

Of course, in the Allegory of the Cave, the Cave Dwellers killed the one who escaped and tried to liberate the others too.

No, the GOP is just as unpalatable as the Dem. At this point, I say somewhat more unpalatable. The Left did not give us the above and Jan 6.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for the impeachment itself, Paxton has Fed Criminal Problems. He has already cost the State Millions in settlement due to being a political thing. He has no legitimacy. The Gov. should publicly demand his resignation.

I do not like the result. However, I recognize what Impeachments are. They are a political process to resolve a political question. Politics has spoken.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Be honest with yourself. There is not a dime's bit of difference between the two parties. Both pander to a fringe base, a fringe base that advocates for policies that the majority of Americans disagree with, e.g., no restrictions on abortions versus no abortions period. Both are rife with corruption, e.g., Hunter Biden gets a political wink and Ken Paxton gets a political wink. Both have no interest in any concept approaching consensus governance, e.g., the proliferation of executive orders to implement policy versus legislation. It has become a choice between the lesser of two evils. When the Republicans are in control, 60-70% of the country feels that the country is headed in the wrong direction. When the Democrats are in control, 60-70% of the country feels that the country is headed in the wrong direction. A contest to see who is the tallest midget. Neither party serves the best interests of the majority of Americans. It is abundantly clear that neither party is the "solution" to the nation's current ills.

Comparing Biden and Paxton is, as John Cornyn stated in relation to Biden's pending impeachment proceedings, a fool's errand. There is no comparison. Paxton is a demonstrable corrupt bribe-taking crook as shown in the impeachment proceedings. I'll invite you, as I have invited the other republicans on the board, to offer whatever evidence you may have in relation to anything that Biden has done that rises to the level of bribery or extortion.

I do agree that it is a choice between the lesser of two evils but that has always been true. You pick the folks that are going to do the least damage. And, if you think that's paxton and trump, well....I've misunderstood just about everything you've posted regarding those two clowns in the last few years.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll invite you, as I have invited the other republicans on the board, to offer whatever evidence you may have in relation to anything that Biden has done that rises to the level of bribery or extortion.

Biden, in his own words -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXA--dj2-CY

odd how trump NOT delaying the same was all the fuss when he was in office

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The intro to the above linked video starts with a narrative in ADDITION to what Biden says. It's a prelude to make the lie believable. Biden did not say he had the prosecutor fired because he was investigating his son or the company he worked for. So the narrative is an embellishment, stated as fact and believed.

And Biden wasn't the only leader who wanted him gone.

If it was evidence of corruption, as claimed, it would be admissible as evidence in court. But they gotta embellish it, twist it, to suit the narrative.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...osecutor/5991434002/

Fact check: Biden leveraged $1B in aid to Ukraine to oust corrupt prosecutor, not to help his son
Camille Caldera
USA TODAY

XXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
If it was deep faked to be trump saying the exact same thing, would you be crying for impeachment?

If COURSE you would -
how does that old phrase go?
Put that in your pipe and smoke it

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Trump did the coercion, it was taped, and it wasn't deep fake. It was a beautiful phone call.

Any time a politician uses pre-approved assistance, by congress or whomever, military or loans or whatever, as leverage or coercion, that's at least cringeworthy, and shouldn't happen.

I think Biden was wrong in doing so, but not a crime.

OTOH, Trump has said he wants that power unilaterally should he be elected again.

XXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and dODGE again -- if this was deepfaked with trup, would you, or would you not, want him impeached?

Of course you would - that you don't want to admit that means you aren't at peace with yourself.

same yard stick, same action, same results.

Look, IF the GOP somehow swings a biden impeachment, it's dead on arrival in the senate - and the GOP would call it "fair" as the exact same results as both trumps -- but they aint the same

Let's put it another, if trump's "perfect" phone call was deepfaked with biden's voice, no dems would be calling for biden's impeachment.

It's not the same-same -- and while not "okay" that is the status of our political reality --

There's FEW of us that isn't okay with either side .. and it bugs the snot out of people who FEEL that THEY can't be challenged in anyway ...

and that's just plan insecurity to blame

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using the term "deepfake" just messes up your argument.

But if you believe it, ok with me.

XXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
Using the term "deepfake" just messes up your argument.

But if you believe it, ok with me.

Sure thing -- btw, if you aren't up to speed on deepfakes, it's one of the reasons that the SAG is striking, it's that good with decent infra behind them. It's not the cartoonish rubbish we were seeing as early as a year ago

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I thought I was up to date regarding deepfake, but probably not.

Anyway, what I've been doing lately is avoiding any source that I'm not familiar with. I do see some articles and especially videos that seem suspect to me, like click bait and the content doesn't live up to the heading.

I screen them and certainly don't post the link. Also, I'm careful with anything that may be a virus, if that's the word. I certainly don't want to post a link with that.

Often, I corroborate my information by checking several sources, but mostly post just one.

Youtube is pretty safe as far as I know, and those videos embedded in MSM articles are safe too.

BTW, what's SAG?

XXX

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SAG is the screen actors guild

the screen writers are also up in arms about generative AI writing scripts

youtube? it's where people are trying out deepfakes -

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
youtube? it's where people are trying out deepfakes -

Well thanks again for the info.

But that doesn't mean youtube should be shunned, nor that a deepfake cannot be distinguished from real. Most deepfakes are disclosed as such, or youtube deletes them.

As I said, I go to reliable sources, mostly.

Anyway:

https://www.google.com/search?...sclient=gws-wiz#ip=1

Does youtube delete deepfake?

https://www.google.com/search?...sclient=gws-wiz-serp

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A typically Republican outcome of a Republican process.

Patrick, who presided over the Senate trial, received $3 million from a pro-Paxton PAC recently, and all the Senators were threatened with well-funded Primary challengers by Trump if they voted to convict.

Corruption and threats instead of anything resembling justice, the Republican Way.

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is very clear to me that Citizens United, to use Justice Alito’s words concerning abortion, “ had unintended consequences.” We have forgotten the maximum stated in every Incorporation Case being no right, including the 1st Amendment right to political speech in the forum of independent cash, is without limits in a functioning representative democracy (one word for that is a Republic).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
It is very clear to me that Citizens United, to use Justice Alito’s words concerning abortion, “ had unintended consequences.” We have forgotten the maximum stated in every Incorporation Case being no right, including the 1st Amendment right to political speech in the forum of independent cash, is without limits in a functioning representative democracy (one word for that is a Republic).

When a Corporation can be drafted or go to prison for misdeeds there might be a claim for some sort of "corporate citizenship", otherwise it is entitled only to whatever its charter grants it and that ONLY in the State granting the charter. Citizens United, like far too much recent jurisprudence, was a sham manufactured and offered by the very Federalist Society that selected and supported the majority on the Supreme Court.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sorry Jeff,
just too much to unpack from a couple sentences
here's a link or two to help, if you care --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...States_corporate_law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not dispute the legal doctrine of “Cooperate Personhood.”

I dispute Citizen United is sound application of the Incorporated 1st Amendment permitting Cooperate Persons to use engage in unlimited funded of campaign spending across the United States regardless of ties to the community or State the election of being held in.

This is because the Supreme Court has made clear to quote Justice Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and a hand full of others before, “ No Right is absolute.” That includes a cooperation spending cash as political speech.

However, as Justice Alito wrote, “the unintended consequence” has been to grant such an unlimited right that you and I do not enjoy as actual, individual citizens. I cannot give more than 2,100 dollars to s candidate. My companies cannot gone any money to a candidate.

See how Justice Alito’s non-legal analysis in Dobbs can haunt the right. The same “unattended consequences” language will be used by the next majority to limit Heller and its lineage. Unless that majority is better people than what we have now. That includes bring better than me.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yep -- CU was a bad decision and worse politics

#dumptrump

476AR,