Tools

Winter Woes Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
The point being why they are popular in Norway. Cheap hydro power, extremely well defined infrastructure and everything is geographically close.

Exactly. Norway is 1/25th the size of the USA.

Cochahalla highway in BC a few days ago, hundreds of vehicles stranded for 18 hours. EVs didn't do well

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1596 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Hertz is selling 1/3 of their fleet of Teslas because of high maintenance costs. And Chicago drivers are abandoning their cars at Tesla charging stations because they can’t get them to charge the last few days. What a great idea- NOT..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...uxawYAanRmTHDcfwy4bA

And Wal-Mart bought 4500 of them. They are also dabbling in electric semis in cold ass Canada now.

Bullshit. Walmart is buying 4500 electric delivery vehicles for local deliveries from a company named Canoo. They are not buying unwanted Hertz used EV’s.

https://corporate.walmart.com/...g-ecommerce-business

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only meant to infer that they were buying EVs, not from Hertz or anybody else used.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poor people have more than one vehicle?
The actually poor people here, have one.
The poor couples work different shifts, so the second takes the vehicle to work while the first sleeps and is off. And they dont have a 40,000 EV doing it. If a household has multiple vehicles, they are not poor by normal standards.
I'm not counting the people who have a junkyard of dead vehicles out back as having more than one!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not counting the people who have a junkyard of dead vehicles out back as having more than one!

That's who Pymple is counting.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I actually doubt that EVs will stand the test of time.

I expect, when we actually manage to have good batteries, that EVs will largely remove urban cars - but unlikely to replace rural ones. then again, i think private ownership of cars will be a thing of the past by then, and it will all be some collective rideshare thing - and home ownership will be long gone, all the "youngins" will be renting at a billion dollars a month -- gotta love that Biden inflation - At least Jimmy will go to his grave, knowing he is no longer the worst president ever

but the laptops on wheels we have today are not the answer

This might be the golden age of cars, lots of choices and abundant fuel. The market for gasoline and diesel is big enough to finance fuel stops in all sorts of out-of-the-way places. Once electrics really take hold, finding an open gas station away from an interstate might get dicey. Already most gas stations have a convenience store attached.

The not-so-golden part is finding part for older ones. By the time the electronics quit working the parts are no longer in production.
In time, classic cars from this era will only be suitable for museums, not for driving.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
The poor couples work different shifts, so the second takes the vehicle to work while the first sleeps and is off. And they dont have a 40,000 EV doing it. If a household has multiple vehicles, they are not poor by normal standards.

There are 284 million cars in this country, give or take a few. Since 50 million people aren't even 15, millions more don't drive at all, that leaves a vehicle for every person of driving age or better.People who are in nursing homes, prisons, etc don't drive. Millions who live in high rises & such don't own cars, & use public transport. The average home with drivers has more than 1 vehicle by far. Stop pretending such stupidity.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There are 284 million cars in this country, give or take a few. Since 50 million people aren't even 15, millions more don't drive at all, that leaves a vehicle for every person of driving age or better.People who are in nursing homes, prisons, etc don't drive. Millions who live in high rises & such don't own cars, & use public transport. The average home with drivers has more than 1 vehicle by far. Stop pretending such stupidity.

so, if you squint, throw away any data that doesn't fit the agenda, discount anything else that disavows the agenda, and if you squint hard enough

you get close enough to wymple's point -- see, just discard and ignore inconvenient facts, that gets you close enough

but, hey, wymple gets to decide who's a household and who can be counted as a car owner

as math is NOT his strong point -
286M cars
263M taxpayers

that's 1.08 cars per taxpayer ON AVERAGE - which means that wymple's ownership of 5 skews the average -

btw, wymple, i do NOT own a car and a truck

tells us, though, is your "Sports car" a corvette, camaro, charger, or mustang? or, something REALLY exotic, like an XLR?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny math.
Check any vacation /resort town. Folks own second and 3rd homes have a car at those vacation homes. Even if they live in a highrise and dont drive in the city. Jeesh your stupid wymple.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The ask
quote:

most Americans don't have the luxury of having 2+ cars for the adults in the home,

the blunder
quote:
The average home with drivers has more than 1 vehicle by far. Stop pretending such stupidity.

I don't think you are "pretending" "such stupidity" - i think you believe it. which is terrifying to consider that you get to vote.

math isn't wymple's strong suit -- not even close enough.

The question is not "of americans that own cars, how many have more than one" - the question is "most amercans don't have the luxury of having 2+ cars for the adults in the home.

this is "close enough" to moving the goal posts, gramps ..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Only 9% of US households do not own a single car, which means that 91% of all households own at least one car. In fact, a third of households own a single car, leaving 33.1% that own two cars, 24% that own three, and 3.4% that own more than five vehicles."

So well over 1/2 of the US has 2, 3, or even 5 vehicles. 1.88 per household. So I'd say my assertion that that a man & his family have more than one car is.... close enough. Almost everybody I know has more than 1 vehicle in the family. YMMV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Teslas have been a great ride for Elon.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny math.
Check any vacation /resort town. Folks own second and 3rd homes have a car at those vacation homes. Even if they live in a highrise and dont drive in the city. Jeesh your stupid wymple.

My father has four cars. One is at his spendy winter resort residence. He's 83 YO and those will get sold off sooner or later now.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Only 9% of US households do not own a single car, which means that 91% of all households own at least one car. In fact, a third of households own a single car, leaving 33.1% that own two cars, 24% that own three, and 3.4% that own more than five vehicles."

So well over 1/2 of the US has 2, 3, or even 5 vehicles. 1.88 per household. So I'd say my assertion that that a man & his family have more than one car is.... close enough. Almost everybody I know has more than 1 vehicle in the family. YMMV

by YOUR math, 42.3% of americans own ONE car, and 33.1% own 2 cars, meaning that 75.4% of american's don't own 2+ cars - by your OWN stats. last time i checked, 75+% is the majority

close enough, yeah?

math isn't your thing, we get it

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

tells us, though, is your "Sports car" a corvette, camaro, charger, or mustang? or, something REALLY exotic, like an XLR?

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An 86 Pontiac Fiero with a 3800 engine swap. It's what I like, and I did it myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

by YOUR math, 42.3% of americans own ONE car, and 33.1% own 2 cars, meaning that 75.4% of american's don't own 2+ cars - by your OWN stats. last time i checked, 75+% is the majority

close enough, yeah?

math isn't your thing, we get it

Trying to move your goal post won't work. You've gone from 1 car to "not more than 2". Close enough for you, I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not just math that's not his thing. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
An 86 Pontiac Fiero with a 3800 engine swap. It's what I like, and I did it myself.

Naturally aspirated or SSEI? An interesting rig in either case...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

Id like to know more about this.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm headed to Tucson in a couple weeks and most of the cars for rent on Turo were Tesla.
Don't take my word for it, look for yourself.

I rented a Camry.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
quote:

Mine is N/A, supercharged is more common. Pretty slick either way. I think the extra power in the boosted engines are too hard on the drivelines. Go to Pennock's Fiero forums, it's done a ton. I went with the Muncie 4 speed for the best gear spacing. Most go with a 5 speed for fuel mileage.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trying to move your goal post won't work. You've gone from 1 car to "not more than 2". Close enough for you, I guess.

wrong, a couple way
i said
quote:
most Americans don't have the luxury of having 2+ cars for the adults in the home,

so, no denial on the maths
reading might be a challenge

i put a turbo 3.8 buick in a TR-8 in the mid eighties, it was a blast, but when the boost came on, it just blew the tires off

as for fieros, i don't fit, i am too tall, and my head jams into the ceiling. though i've owned 2 of them, as I had dreams of building a convertible kitcar - same fitment in corvettes

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm headed to Tucson in a couple weeks and most of the cars for rent on Turo were Tesla.
Don't take my word for it, look for yourself.

I rented a Camry.

Good choice! Toyota don’t make no junk!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote 33.1% that own two cars, 24% that own three, and 3.4% that own more than five vehicles."[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with my math. You're the one playing the minority side of the scale. MOST families have 2 or MORE.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mine is N/A, supercharged is more common. Pretty slick either way. I think the extra power in the boosted engines are too hard on the drivelines. Go to Pennock's Fiero forums, it's done a ton. I went with the Muncie 4 speed for the best gear spacing. Most go with a 5 speed for fuel mileage.

Our household has an SSEI and a Buick Century, 3.8 and 3.1 engines.
There is a temptation here, one that CARB would probably not approve.
The supercharged 3.8s appear now and then in the salvage yard.

TomP

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

wrong, a couple way
i said
quote:

i put a turbo 3.8 buick in a TR-8 in the mid eighties, it was a blast, but when the boost came on, it just blew the tires off

as for fieros, i don't fit, i am too tall, and my head jams into the ceiling. though i've owned 2 of them, as I had dreams of building a convertible kitcar - same fitment in corvettes

I had a TR7 in the 80’s, bloody awful engine. Lots of people here put 3.0 V8’s in them from Rovers which I think are Buick derivations.

I have a cobra kit with what started life as a 1973 Chevy 350 in it. Brilliant fun, but bikes are way quicker.

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Our household has an SSEI and a Buick Century, 3.8 and 3.1 engines.
There is a temptation here, one that CARB would probably not approve.
The supercharged 3.8s appear now and then in the salvage yard.

There is not enough of an improvement to go with a 3.1. Some go with the 3.4, kinda the bottom for swaps. A big jump is had with the DOHC 3400, about the same as the 3800 if neither is boosted, but the 3800 is a world class engine. They put 4.9 Cadillacs in Fieros because it's a super easy swap, Northstars and SBC, including LS engines are done as well. I think the nicest I've seen was a 4.3 carbed. The fastest are 3800 turbos. The rocket scientist who wired mine for me in Ft Wayne, Ind has a mild turbo on his and has run high 11's with it. Bigger turbo guys get low in the 10s.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
[quote 33.1% that own two cars, 24% that own three, and 3.4% that own more than five vehicles."

There is nothing wrong with my math. You're the one playing the minority side of the scale. MOST families have 2 or MORE.[/QUOTE]
you keep playing games - MOST american's don't have 2+ cars, your own, uncited, source confirms this --

i just wish you were as clever as you think you are

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
quote:
quote:

wrong, a couple way
i said
quote:

I had a TR7 in the 80’s, bloody awful engine. Lots of people here put 3.0 V8’s in them from Rovers which I think are Buick derivations.

I have a cobra kit with what started life as a 1973 Chevy 350 in it. Brilliant fun, but bikes are way quicker.

Yes, the engine started out, way back when, as an all alum buick v8, which lead to the rover v8...

i had to have a "custom" flywheel made, and the car's power to weight was insane - was nice that the engine bolt pattern was the same. The only thing limiting top speed was the gearing. Well, that, and that i had to have the top down to fit - i'd hate to have hit a big beetle at some multiple of the posted speed limit.

there was a joke back then "how many tr8's does it take to drive across the US?" "All of them"

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter and granddaughter in central Iowa each drive a Tesla and no complaints yet AFAIK. My granddaughter was involved in a minor traffic accident [not her fault] and the damage estimate is around $14K. Not just any body shop can work on them from what I'm told, but I suppose that could be somewhat dependent upon the damage.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
quote:
quote:

wrong, a couple way
i said
quote:

Yes, the engine started out, way back when, as an all alum buick v8, which lead to the rover v8...

i had to have a "custom" flywheel made, and the car's power to weight was insane - was nice that the engine bolt pattern was the same. The only thing limiting top speed was the gearing. Well, that, and that i had to have the top down to fit - i'd hate to have hit a big beetle at some multiple of the posted speed limit.

there was a joke back then "how many tr8's does it take to drive across the US?" "All of them"

The aluminum 215 Buick V8 was a neat one for swapping, came in 2-barrel, 4-barrel, and turbocharged versions and weighed 305 pounds with alternator and water pump. I looked for one of the turbochargers for years, wanted to add it to an AMC 232 six-cylinder. Alas, never found one for sale. A few years ago at a roadside fruit stand, I met a guy driving a Corvair with 215 engine in the back seat. Neat little rig.

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and I put one (from an Olds F85) into his CJ5. I had to fabricate the exhaust headers for it, to fit it into the Jeep. I was able to use a strap around the headers and lift the engine up while standing on the fenders. That wouldn't happen with an iron engine! This was over thirty years ago, by the way. I'm not lifting any kind of engine today.
It was a decent engine for the Jeep but lacked low end torque. The 225 V6 we replaced was actually a better engine for the purpose. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote