New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Woes Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Ouch. Well, many of us figured there would be a problem with EV's. I sure hope no one ends up stranded and injured or dies.

Charging stations not working

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
ABC national news tonight talked about EV owners not being able to charge their cars and the batteries quickly going dead in the extreme cold. WHAT A GREAT IDEA WHOSE TIME HASN’T COME! thumbdown

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know it would have been a great thing if these things worked and weren't so expensive but there you have it. I have said on this forum they are not practical. A good old fashioned winter has people scurrying.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Next door neighbor just rolled in from dinner out, in a Tesla. Some places are more practical than others, and that's a fact.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
After paying for a Tesla, I’m surprised he can afford to eat out. Must have a good job…. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Next door neighbor just rolled in from dinner out, in a Tesla. Some places are more practical than others, and that's a fact.

Tom, I would think a real bad traffic jam could also be a problem for EV owners?

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:

Tom, I would think a real bad traffic jam could also be a problem for EV owners?

Maybe. They whiz past my old Dodge all the time.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
After paying for a Tesla, I’m surprised he can afford to eat out. Must have a good job…. Wink

This is 2024. Of course they have two jobs...

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This is 2024. Of course they have two jobs...

Biden comics at work.....

Oops! I meant Bidenomics!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I LOVE it! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67006 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drive 4WD vehicles. Not many EV charging stations where I plan on going and it's just a silly idea to start with.

Posts: 10035 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I drive 4WD vehicles. Not many EV charging stations where I plan on going and it's just a silly idea to start with.

Amen David!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son has a Hyundai Ionic which has a range of 250 miles, in the summer. He drove it around on a day when it was forty below and reported that he lost close to 40% of his range. Of course, a large part of this was due to heater use. I told him the car needs a gas heater! On the plus side, it always starts, and heat production is nearly instant. He drives 30 miles to work so it works out fine for him. Under no illusions about winter efficiency, he's satisfied. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use any vehicle for it's intended purpose. Seems to be a concept foreign to a lot of you. I use my old squarebody 4wd for this weather. I certainly don't use it to knock down miles on road trips or daily commuting. I also don't drive my sports car in this shit.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
Use any vehicle for it's intended purpose. Seems to be a concept foreign to a lot of you. I use my old squarebody 4wd for this weather. I certainly don't use it to knock down miles on road trips or daily commuting. I also don't drive my sports car in this shit.

So people that have EVs also need to keep a gas guzzling four wheel drive around too?

Is that a leftist mandate as well?

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Winter comes, the US becomes a Third World Country! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67006 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a large carbon footprint to manufacture any vehicle. If you have to have a second vehicle to do the things the EV cant, now much carbon are you saving?
In Wymple world, spending $40,000 to break even is "close enough".

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Use any vehicle for it's intended purpose. Seems to be a concept foreign to a lot of you. I use my old squarebody 4wd for this weather. I certainly don't use it to knock down miles on road trips or daily commuting. I also don't drive my sports car in this sh!t.

so, in your mind, even though the ev is a failure in the cold, and you don't drive your "Sport car"
what a canard

most Americans don't have the luxury of having 2+ cars for the adults in the home, and don't really buy a car per mission -- MOST American's can't afford 2 SUV/Minivans - one summer, one winter, just to carry the kids around - but, hey "close enough", amiright?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pymple, you're hysterical! animal

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And several thousand or more cars [many idling] sitting there wasting gasoline is better?

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly so.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A relative is/was an early Tesla convert.

It does use energy to keep its battery warm. As it gets colder, its range does decrease due to less efficiency in the battery.

He spends hours having to plan trips around supercharger sites, and has had to wait hours for a spot to open, but usually he has no issues with a daily commute of less than 10 miles and loves the autopilot feature.

He also owns a bunch of trucks through his business. He also has a corvette, but hasn’t driven it in years as the Tesla has better performance.

I’ve driven in it.

If the e car comes down in price enough that the cost of ownership is less than the cost per mile than my ICE truck, I could see getting one for daily commuting… but the only way that happens is the government to incentivize it (ie remove market forces).

The left’s problem is they want to force e vehicles on folks that they don’t work for reliably.

I’m not anti e vehicle, but I’m anti big state intervention in market decisions and against things like CA’s anti ICE mandate.

A six figure price tag for a car that I can’t use all the time like the Tesla isn’t for me… but then I don’t own a sports car or motorcycle either.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The point is, the EV is eminently practical for guys who commute a distance but under some circumstances, nothing but a big 4wd will do. My son's Hyundai will do anything he needs it to do, but if the driveway is drifted over with two feet of snow, the Hyundai isn't going to work as a plough. On the other hand, it gets him to town and back with no fuss and reduced cost.
The EV loses significant range in extreme cold but extreme cold (by which I mean -25 or colder) is relatively rare in most places, even here. Chris's experience would seem to indicate, even at 40 below, the EV is a viable commuter vehicle. It is cheaper to operate and seems to be reliable. I can promise you, at -40 none of my vehicles are very happy (nor am I)!
The EV is not a saviour of the environment, but it is, for the moment and in the right circumstances, a viable alternative to the ICE vehicle. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd never own one but I know a lot of people with Tesla's and they all love them. They're very fast, very smooth ride and very reliable is what I hear. I was in one on an Uber ride the other day and the driver (who spends all day driving his Tesla for Uber) had nothing but good things to say about it in terms of reliability. And, it was a very smooth ride to the airport.

But, they're an in-town vehicle. Charge it at home in your garage and you're good for 300-400 miles. It would make me nervous to head out on a road trip due to the lack of public charging stations.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15120 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ANTELOPEDUNDEE:
quote:
quote:

And several thousand or more cars [many idling] sitting there wasting gasoline is better?

I never said idling was okay. I turn my car off even if I go through the bank drive through. In cold winter areas it is clearly a problem for now with EV's. I am sure the technology will improve. I have said somewhere on these forums that EV's would be superb if one lived close to their work. I've also said if one is rural, such as me, these would not be practical as they are now.

I'm not against EV's at all and think they are cool. They are fine for the city commuter for now as long as winter stays mild. Those folks in Chicago (and other cold winter areas) are unable to use their EV's right now.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Use any vehicle for it's intended purpose. Seems to be a concept foreign to a lot of you. I use my old squarebody 4wd for this weather. I certainly don't use it to knock down miles on road trips or daily commuting. I also don't drive my sports car in this sh!t.

so, in your mind, even though the ev is a failure in the cold, and you don't drive your "Sport car"
what a canard

most Americans don't have the luxury of having 2+ cars for the adults in the home, and don't really buy a car per mission -- MOST American's can't afford 2 SUV/Minivans - one summer, one winter, just to carry the kids around - but, hey "close enough", amiright?

Last time I was in Norway I was amazed at how many Tesla's there are on their roads. Brutally cold there and winters are long, but they don't seem to be having any issue.

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you garage it at night, and have only short distances to drive on well maintained roads, it works well.

My cousin can’t get his to my hunting place. I have to pick him up at the paved road, or he has to take a work pickup.

He will not drive further than 100 miles one way in winter, nor more than 50 one way in subzero weather, to avoid issues.

Per him, teslas require minimal maintenance… but when you do have to take them in it’s both a long wait and few shops… and they are pretty limited in what they fix. He’s updated his car twice. Got good deals from Tesla.

But he will lose his free super charging with his next upgrade, so he’s pretty reluctant to do so now.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
If you garage it at night, and have only short distances to drive on well maintained roads, it works well.

My cousin can’t get his to my hunting place. I have to pick him up at the paved road, or he has to take a work pickup.

He will not drive further than 100 miles one way in winter, nor more than 50 one way in subzero weather, to avoid issues.

Per him, teslas require minimal maintenance… but when you do have to take them in it’s both a long wait and few shops… and they are pretty limited in what they fix. He’s updated his car twice. Got good deals from Tesla.

But he will lose his free super charging with his next upgrade, so he’s pretty reluctant to do so now.

Well, Doc....you don't buy a Tesla to take it to the deer lease.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point being why they are popular in Norway. Cheap hydro power, extremely well defined infrastructure and everything is geographically close.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Hertz is selling 1/3 of their fleet of Teslas because of high maintenance costs. And Chicago drivers are abandoning their cars at Tesla charging stations because they can’t get them to charge the last few days. What a great idea- NOT..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...uxawYAanRmTHDcfwy4bA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The point being why they are popular in Norway. Cheap hydro power, extremely well defined infrastructure and everything is geographically close.

In other words, the Norwegians are more efficient than us?

Despite what all the knuckledraggers say, EV's are probably the future.

And, by the way, I drive a gas-guzzling Toyota Land Cruiser that is at 96,000 pollution-emitting miles....which I wouldn't trade for a Tesla ever.

And, it gets me to the deer lease, Doc. lol

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Us
posted 18 January 2024 03:06 Hide Post
quote:

In other words, the Norwegians are more efficient than us?

Despite what all the knuckledraggers say, EV's are probably the future

They will be the future when the support infrastructure is in place and it is a loooong way from being in place. Not to mention the environmental costs to mine lithium and cobalt, especially in Africa….. coffee

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. Norway is 1/25th the size of the USA.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I actually doubt that EVs will stand the test of time.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I actually doubt that EVs will stand the test of time.

I expect, when we actually manage to have good batteries, that EVs will largely remove urban cars - but unlikely to replace rural ones. then again, i think private ownership of cars will be a thing of the past by then, and it will all be some collective rideshare thing - and home ownership will be long gone, all the "youngins" will be renting at a billion dollars a month -- gotta love that Biden inflation - At least Jimmy will go to his grave, knowing he is no longer the worst president ever

but the laptops on wheels we have today are not the answer

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hertz is selling 1/3 of their fleet of Teslas because of high maintenance costs. And Chicago drivers are abandoning their cars at Tesla charging stations because they can’t get them to charge the last few days. What a great idea- NOT..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/auto...uxawYAanRmTHDcfwy4bA

And Wal-Mart bought 4500 of them. They are also dabbling in electric semis in cold ass Canada now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

what a canard

Sure, everybody limits themselves to 1 vehicle in this country. I have 5 with 4 wheels on them + my cycles. Tell me you don't have a car AND a truck. Poor people have more than 1 & you know it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A relative is/was an early Tesla convert.

It does use energy to keep its battery warm. As it gets colder, its range does decrease due to less efficiency in the battery.

He spends hours having to plan trips around supercharger sites, and has had to wait hours for a spot to open, but usually he has no issues with a daily commute of less than 10 miles and loves the autopilot feature.

He also owns a bunch of trucks through his business. He also has a corvette, but hasn’t driven it in years as the Tesla has better performance.

I’ve driven in it.

If the e car comes down in price enough that the cost of ownership is less than the cost per mile than my ICE truck, I could see getting one for daily commuting… but the only way that happens is the government to incentivize it (ie remove market forces).

The left’s problem is they want to force e vehicles on folks that they don’t work for reliably.

I’m not anti e vehicle, but I’m anti big state intervention in market decisions and against things like CA’s anti ICE mandate.

A six figure price tag for a car that I can’t use all the time like the Tesla isn’t for me… but then I don’t own a sports car or motorcycle either.

The base model 3 Tesla is 40,000. I wouldn't even buy that, there are others I like better and none of them are 6 figures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I'm not against EV's at all and think they are cool. They are fine for the city commuter for now as long as winter stays mild. Those folks in Chicago (and other cold winter areas) are unable to use their EV's right now."

Bullshit Anne. My nephew drives his Bolt every day to work, a 50 mile commute. We've had 17-20 below for the last 3-4 days & he's having no problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.reddit.com/media?u...%2Frfxlhjb7ple51.jpg

This scenario has been played out before. Time & technology wait for nobody. Get used to it.