Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inflation drops to 2 year low Login/Join 
One of Us
posted

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
When inflation hits its highest rate in 4 decades, then returns to normal, I guess we can rejoice.

Thank goodness we didn’t end up like Zimbabwe or Venezuela.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 year low in a 3 year inflationary period?

Whoopie.

While I’m glad it’s down some, it’s still high and my wages haven’t caught up to it.

Yeah, I’m better off overall by higher income than many, but my overall real wages are way down.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same numbers all Presidents play for and with. Would you prefer inflation to keep going up.

We want it to come down, well it has came back to 2021 levels. That is good news.

I think we can play this game of mine vs yours until the cows come home. How does huge wage growth over the last 5 years compare to blue collar jobs in your state?

This year is going to be my best year from the practice of law.

My friends who do a lot of real estate had a very good last couple of years.

I am willing to give the lion’s share of the credit to the Chairman of the Fed. He has taken a lot of heat. I am also willing to acknowledge President Biden’s positive role.

Time will tell where it goes. However, today we are better than we were when every third post was President Biden killing the economy

I am concerned the Ukraine grain deal ending does not set us and the works back.

I have read today inflation in England has also lessened. Today, we have good news.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It is welcome news, but it doesn’t erase the inflation that we’ve seen since 2020.

Somehow it doesn’t feel like something to cheer about. Like during the gulf war, when the news told us that “only ____ soldiers were killed this week, which is fewer that we have seen in months…”

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not going to compare inflation to the death of US Service members.

Ukraine grain deal dead, and tensions w China, I will be happy the Administration seems, for now, to run herd on it. In addition, the lessening of Inflation in Europe.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/0...raine-war/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/market...20dramatic%20fashion.

The future may take this away from us. Today, I will be happy.

There are factors outside our control that can kick us right back in the economic head.

The bottom line is things are getting better.

3.6 percent unemployment with increase in construction.

Now, some will say funny math. It is the same math used to support President Trump’s economic policies here.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Now, some will say it’s funny math. It is the same math used to support President Trump’s economic policies here.

Ironic that you would point that out.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t call it “the same numbers every president deals with.”

The USG has changed how they calculate inflation with some regularity.

They removed food because it was “too volitile” and gas was removed as well.

I do wonder what Carters numbers would look like using identical items for measurement.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When was said removed. We are playing the same numbers or measures President Trump used.

By the way, KY unemployment is 3.8 percent as of March. A decent bite lower than 2003 when Presided Bush was going strong.

I remember the phrase, “Funny math” from the Gore v Bush Debates.

I am very glad to see these numbers. Of President Trump was in office right now, it would be every 3rd post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would the economy look like using constant dollars, hmm?

I'm glad its improving. But with all that huge inflation past, its kind of a little too late.

IMO, nothing to do with Biden... and I agree it would look as bad, maybe worse, with Trump in office.

That guy was very much a "democrat" in his spending policies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rate may have gone down, in some sectors, the prices have not. Certainly the price of borrowed money is up a bunch

Kind of like how the COVID death rate has gone down, maybe because the most vulnerable are already dead.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the RATE is going down ---
the inflation is still there --
shesh

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the RATE is going down ---
the inflation is still there --
shesh

True enough, but the Fed targets for 2% inflation for a reason they say:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/economy_14400.htm

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The price of debt service will have much of the economy on its knees shortly soon.
Both lenders and debtors are in for a rough ride the next few years.

I can't think of a reason for this other than "asset stripping" of the middle class, or think it's not predictable.
It doesn't take AI or a PhD in economics (on second thought, that might be a hindrance) to see where this might go.

It's not even clear to me that we can inflate enough to rescue the federal debt, although I'm sure there are computer simulations that say so. Perhaps a return of stagflation?

There should be some variant on a competency test before a money man should be allowed to use linear regression in Excel.
We will pay for this omission.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
There is still plenty of inflation. Materials have not declined in cost at all. I am assuming even if inflation does decline to say Trump era numbers, materials and prices on other goods will never return to that pricing level.

I am still astonished every time a farm comes up for sale in my area. A recent example was a $190,000 valued property three years ago and now listed at $1.5 million.

~Ann

Posts: 19157 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
There is still plenty of inflation. Materials have not declined in cost at all. I am assuming even if inflation does decline to say Trump era numbers, materials and prices on other goods will never return to that pricing level.

I am still astonished every time a farm comes up for sale in my area. A recent example was a $190,000 valued property three years ago and now listed at $1.5 million.

Trump era numbers? Like when 4 million americans lost their jobs because he shut down the economy? That's net after the job gains from the Obama inherited boom years.

Trump: "Putin is a Genius" "Hezbollah is very smart"

Posts: 17195 | Location: FL | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter:
Trump era numbers? Like when 4 million americans lost their jobs because he shut down the economy? That's net after the job gains from the Obama inherited boom years.

Obama inherited the Bush Recession, not a heavy lift to improve on that...

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

Posts: 705 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

A nearby house my wife bought in middle 1970s for $28k is listed on Zillow at $523k, up from $122k in 2012. Zowee...

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we have a market correction… it will make the Bush subprime collapse look like chicken feed.
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

A nearby house my wife bought in middle 1970s for $28k is listed on Zillow at $523k, up from $122k in 2012. Zowee...

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we have a market correction… it will make the Bush subprime collapse look like chicken feed.

a bit of a view on that

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdqLF36Xg

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too agree with the housing observation, but we seem to have had a slight market correction in housing.

I am not one who thinks housing values should always increase, and certainly folks should not treat their equity like a line of credit.

However, I also do not see it as a terribly bad sign homes increase in value. It is an extension of land/reality, and it has always been an investment.

My worry is more of folks getting onto loans they cannot keep up with. I could have bought a house in South Carolina with zero down after the housing crisis. I looked at the guy, “ Why would I do that?”

I do believe our response to the end of Bush years bubble burst was a much better option than No Federal, central response at all.