New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does this work? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
A key point in the article says that because these people no longer have debt that they will spend 'their money' on other things. Their money?

How does this help the country at large, that has a government that has now made the taxpayers responsible for billions in debt?

For instance, if said debt free students have degrees in medical professions will that mean our medical care costs will drop?

forgiven $127 billion for 3.5 million borrowers

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, they can now buy more stuff, more likely, take out more loans to buy stuff.

Public sector jobs have built in loan forgiveness already. The borrower has to make a minimum payment for so many years.

Posts: 10944 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ddaily fail paywall -- it sets off EVERY cyber tool on my pc

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
A key point in the article says that because these people no longer have debt that they will spend 'their money' on other things. Their money?

How does this help the country at large, that has a government that has now made the taxpayers responsible for billions in debt?

For instance, if said debt free students have degrees in medical professions will that mean our medical care costs will drop?

forgiven $127 billion for 3.5 million borrowers

With the re-purposed money they either pay towards other debt or spend beyond their means and run up new debt.

It's like filing for and getting partial bankruptcy with no cost to yourself.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1211 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I take this as a personal affront. I took out a small student loan in law school, but paid it off within 6 months after graduation, with interest. Why should people who were foolish enough to take out loans of hundreds of thousands to get a degree in basketweaving, or anything else for that matter, have their debt forgiven?

This is a clear vote buying scheme by the Democratic party.

Posts: 10036 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Nothing to do with Biden /Student debt but the Mail as a source of news is laughable, im just amazed that so many people who are not in the UK actually read it. Ann and Saeed obviously do but I just cannot understand why...particularly if you need to pay for it.

US higher education seems incredibly expensive but your country / your choice. I can see merit in a state contributing to to or funding higher education for those who may be of some benefit to the country. Here the amount a university can charge is capped at £9K/year. You have your living expenses on top of that and the state will loan you the £9K at the going rate of interest. Obviously some courses cost more than 9K so the govt kicks in for things like medicine where the end result will be of benefit to the state.

You pay the loan back with a deduction each month from your salary when you start to earn over a set threshold (maybe £25K?).

If your earnings don't get that high you don't pay it back so there are a huge number of people who do McDegrees which don't result in a job of any substance who never repay the state. If I had my way the availability of loans would be in proportion to the number of jobs available in that subject each year or its benefit to the state. So if you want to study philosophy, theatre set design or Ancient Greek history there are only going to be 5 govt loan slots for each but loads for engineers, nursing, medicine, accountancy etc

Posts: 7188 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Nothing to do with Biden /Student debt but the Mail as a source of news is laughable, im just amazed that so many people who are not in the UK actually read it. Ann and Saeed obviously do but I just cannot understand why...particularly if you need to pay for it.

US higher education seems incredibly expensive but your country / your choice. I can see merit in a state contributing to to or funding higher education for those who may be of some benefit to the country. Here the amount a university can charge is capped at £9K/year. You have your living expenses on top of that and the state will loan you the £9K at the going rate of interest. Obviously some courses cost more than 9K so the govt kicks in for things like medicine where the end result will be of benefit to the state.

You pay the loan back with a deduction each month from your salary when you start to earn over a set threshold (maybe £25K?).

If your earnings don't get that high you don't pay it back so there are a huge number of people who do McDegrees which don't result in a job of any substance who never repay the state. If I had my way the availability of loans would be in proportion to the number of jobs available in that subject each year or its benefit to the state. So if you want to study philosophy, theatre set design or Ancient Greek history there are only going to be 5 govt loan slots for each but loads for engineers, nursing, medicine, accountancy etc

Who is giving your state money for the giveaways?

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
See the last para of what I posted.

My wallet, and that's why I object to freeloaders studying philosophy or the history of football and then not paying it back whilst they are stacking shelves.

Posts: 7188 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nute, just focus on my question: How does this work?

Everyone knows state paid education is money taken from taxpayers and given to an individual. So that means 'we' have made an investment. What is the product, return of such investment? It should benefit the citizenry at large but in fact, this does not happen.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
See the last para of what I posted.

My wallet, and that's why I object to freeloaders studying philosophy or the history of football and then not paying it back whilst they are stacking shelves.

I read whole thing
And you answered…your wallet
I will never understand all these government giveaways and we got plenty of them here in US and my wallet seems be lighter as well
All this just strengthens my position against unnecessary taxes and those are IMO at least 50% unnecessary

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Nute, just focus on my question: How does this work?

Everyone knows state paid education is money taken from taxpayers and given to an individual. So that means 'we' have made an investment. What is the product, return of such investment? It should benefit the citizenry at large but in fact, this does not happen.

Id argue that it is of benefit to the state, there are professions which the state needs and which take money to train which are beyond the ability of 99% of young people. Medicine is an obvious one, but there are lots of others.

The product is either the work the recipient does for society or I guess the taxes that they pay doing whatever we have helped them earn over and above the people who stack shelves.

The higher earners should be able to repay their loans and I view that as a good and worthwhile investment for society - id go so far as to say some could even have their loans forgiven or partially so if they are doing society good - teachers for example

I don't have too much sympathy for someone with a history of art/sociology/archeology/ethnic studies degree who can't find anything but a very basic job at our cost.

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
If there is money to be made in needed professions, people will make it happen even without the government
Problem is when government gives out money for colleges freely, it creates want for unnecessary degrees