quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
quote:
You can not discuss civics without those identity issues.

Political fragmentation covers the foundation of the nation. How would you reach civics or a topics class wo political identity being discussed.

How do you teach the Bill of Rights wo a discussion on the 14th civisAmendment and its application against the states?

How can you teach literature, with your limitations?

Other than JTEX who adds nothing to the conversation everyone keep rocking on.

If a parent wants to object to a particular reading that is fine.

One cannot read To Kill a Mocking Bird without a discussion on the systematic racism of the time. That is a great theme of the work.

A valid discussion and exercise is to compare and contrast that racism, and how have we advanced. That would include touching into the courts. There is nothing wrong with that.

The Iliad & The Odyssey has incest angle. Should it not be taught?

Gay stories of life are just as important as stories of straight people.

Gay stories are important to who? My six year old needs to know, " gay stories" Your emphasis why?
Are we grooming ?

Are stories ok, or do they have to be your, " gay stories" ?

Jtex comes and goes here as he pleases and I like him quite a bit. Saeed participates here exclusively to stir the pot and as a funny aside, my Bud Jtex frequently takes the bait. Big Grin. Seems you take Jtex bait.

Get back to us when you have kids, ( say three maybe,) and you're dealing with bullying, abuse, violence and assault in the Public Education of your children. If you're any kind of parent, Critical Race Theory, Black History Month, Gay Pride and the, " gay stories" ain't gonna be on your menu. Jtex sent his kids and wife off to school everyday to risk being a victim of a mass school shooting. Doc Lane and I let our kids go alone to be run over in the school parking lot, be assaulted by the lunatic classmate, poisoned with tainted food at lunch. ( Yes, we send our kids with a home packed lunch everyday, but who knows what those little hands and mouth get hold of.

To a good parent, "gay stories" don't count.

There are a lot of good gay parents out there.

There are just as important and deserving as you. The attitude you just demonstrated with those words maybe more.

Get back to me when you know a family with gay parents.

You are not superior.

You can get back to me about children when you change your wife’s a 40 year brother’s colostomy bag.

When you hold him so he does not bite his tongue off or injure himself in a seizure.

When his mother had 3 miscarriages before him.

When you watch him drag himself by his arms because he cannot walk.

When you get a court order to keep a nurse from using unnecessary restraints bc people are scared.

When you never hear him speak.

Then you tell me a thing.

Get back to me when you watch your 16 year old brother burn to where they can’t identity him and his mother die of grief.

Then you can tell me a thing or two.

You
Have
No
Kids,
Fuck
Off.

Do you find it odd that a whole,lot of people that don't have kids ALWAYS know the best way to raise them?

I really do.

Not nearly as odd as "Christians" who claim to leave the judgement to Jesus, then proceed to continually judge their fellow man.

One thing I find odd is that several Christians here enjoy highlighting that Lheym does not have children, yet fail to acknowledge the huge sacrifice that he has made to care for his BIL. That could very well be one of the reasons he is not a father, I do not know.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
Jtex, I made a jab at you for humor.

I don’t look down at people that work in the trades the least. Matter of fact, I greatly admire and respect people like who can perform such incredible acts of construction. I think having a trade and being good at it is the equal to being a doctor, professor or an accountant. Equal to an attorney? Not so much. Haha.

Lane, I disagree that all students should be taught the likes of chemistry. I was pretty good at math, but have I ever used calculus? No. Engineers need certain math programs, but the rest of us, it’s a waste of time. All most of us need in life in the way of mathematics is basic arithmetic and basic algebra. What’s the use of Shakespeare or Dickens when they should spend their time learning how to weld for example.

I like Biden’s statements about a job is more than about a paycheck. It’s about dignity.

I respect farmers, tradesmen if they are good as much as any other career.

Basic math does not include calculus. Algebra II and above should be elective in HS. Name me a trade, profession, or any walk of life that does not involve a basic knowledge of chemistry??? Even lawyers need to understand chemistry.

When schools get good at turning out fundamentally knowledgeable citizens…lets talk about the rest. They have not mastered it.

And as Scott pointed out…there is just so much time in a day…don’t waste it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jtex, I made a jab at you for humor.

I don’t look down at people that work in the trades the least. Matter of fact, I greatly admire and respect people like who can perform such incredible acts of construction. I think having a trade and being good at it is the equal to being a doctor, professor or an accountant. Equal to an attorney? Not so much. Haha.

Lane, I disagree that all students should be taught the likes of chemistry. I was pretty good at math, but have I ever used calculus? No. Engineers need certain math programs, but the rest of us, it’s a waste of time. All most of us need in life in the way of mathematics is basic arithmetic and basic algebra. What’s the use of Shakespeare or Dickens when they should spend their time learning how to weld for example.

I like Biden’s statements about a job is more than about a paycheck. It’s about dignity.

I respect farmers, tradesmen if they are good as much as any other career.

No worries Cat. Other than a bit of our politics we're good!

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
You can not discuss civics without those identity issues.

Political fragmentation covers the foundation of the nation. How would you reach civics or a topics class wo political identity being discussed.

How do you teach the Bill of Rights wo a discussion on the 14th civisAmendment and its application against the states?

How can you teach literature, with your limitations?

Other than JTEX who adds nothing to the conversation everyone keep rocking on.

If a parent wants to object to a particular reading that is fine.

One cannot read To Kill a Mocking Bird without a discussion on the systematic racism of the time. That is a great theme of the work.

A valid discussion and exercise is to compare and contrast that racism, and how have we advanced. That would include touching into the courts. There is nothing wrong with that.

The Iliad & The Odyssey has incest angle. Should it not be taught?

Gay stories of life are just as important as stories of straight people.

Gay stories are important to who? My six year old needs to know, " gay stories" Your emphasis why?
Are we grooming ?

Are stories ok, or do they have to be your, " gay stories" ?

Jtex comes and goes here as he pleases and I like him quite a bit. Saeed participates here exclusively to stir the pot and as a funny aside, my Bud Jtex frequently takes the bait. Big Grin. Seems you take Jtex bait.

Get back to us when you have kids, ( say three maybe,) and you're dealing with bullying, abuse, violence and assault in the Public Education of your children. If you're any kind of parent, Critical Race Theory, Black History Month, Gay Pride and the, " gay stories" ain't gonna be on your menu. Jtex sent his kids and wife off to school everyday to risk being a victim of a mass school shooting. Doc Lane and I let our kids go alone to be run over in the school parking lot, be assaulted by the lunatic classmate, poisoned with tainted food at lunch. ( Yes, we send our kids with a home packed lunch everyday, but who knows what those little hands and mouth get hold of.

To a good parent, "gay stories" don't count.

There are a lot of good gay parents out there.

There are just as important and deserving as you. The attitude you just demonstrated with those words maybe more.

Get back to me when you know a family with gay parents.

You are not superior.

You can get back to me about children when you change your wife’s a 40 year brother’s colostomy bag.

When you hold him so he does not bite his tongue off or injure himself in a seizure.

When his mother had 3 miscarriages before him.

When you watch him drag himself by his arms because he cannot walk.

When you get a court order to keep a nurse from using unnecessary restraints bc people are scared.

When you never hear him speak.

Then you tell me a thing.

Get back to me when you watch your 16 year old brother burn to where they can’t identity him and his mother die of grief.

Then you can tell me a thing or two.

You
Have
No
Kids,
Fuck
Off.

Do you find it odd that a whole,lot of people that don't have kids ALWAYS know the best way to raise them?

I really do.

Not nearly as odd as "Christians" who claim to leave the judgement to Jesus, then proceed to continually judge their fellow man.

One thing I find odd is that several Christians here enjoy highlighting that Lheym does not have children, yet fail to acknowledge the huge sacrifice that he has made to care for his BIL. That could very well be one of the reasons he is not a father, I do not know.

He is taking care of his bil, certainly. I don't think a single one of us is telling him how he ought do it either.

Nor or we stating that society oughta tell him how to do it.

I understand, your a lefty, you won't want to see the difference, carry on.

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You
Have
No
Kids,
Fuck
Off.

Another Christian following the footsteps of Christ. Roll Eyes

https://www.biblegateway.com/p...%3A13-22&version=NIV

Oh Jesus would have a couple f bombs for you Skippy.
Big Grin

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scott, you do understand that gayness is a reality of life and is not a matter of choice. Obviously, with younger children, the sexual aspects aren’t appropriate, but the realities of same sex living together and loving each other shouldn’t be pushed under the bed.

On the other hand, I felt uncomfortable in watching certain movies where the fuck scene thrown in. It’s natural for kids to ask what the actors are doing when they are doing the old bump and grab. Something’s are just not age appropriate. They have plenty of time to learn about that.

Simply put, 100%.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You
Have
No
Kids,
Fuck
Off.

Another Christian following the footsteps of Christ. Roll Eyes

https://www.biblegateway.com/p...%3A13-22&version=NIV

Oh Jesus would have a couple f bombs for you Skippy.
Big Grin

I'm sure you are correct, why just last week I bought cattle, or least part of one. I think it might have even been a Friday.

I've been looking for that guy Wink

https://youtu.be/AqK4Q67rdM4

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Scott, you do understand that gayness is a reality of life and is not a matter of choice. Obviously, with younger children, the sexual aspects aren’t appropriate, but the realities of same sex living together and loving each other shouldn’t be pushed under the bed.

On the other hand, I felt uncomfortable in watching certain movies where the fuck scene thrown in. It’s natural for kids to ask what the actors are doing when they are doing the old bump and grab. Something’s are just not age appropriate. They have plenty of time to learn about that.

Simply put, 100%.

Yep. Me too.

When the old fart isn't busy with the foul mouth he makes some sense.... For a lawyer Wink

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tomahawker:
Without a doubt we are a culturally Christian nation. And these kids need something, what we’re doing isn’t working. In my og post, that is a exactly what’s missing. Family, honor, discipline, integrity. And if you don’t think we’re culturally Christian have a Happy Easter.[/QUOTE

Look at your example, Easter--a PAGAN holiday. You don't read about Easter bunnies and eggs in the Bible, do you? They're fertility symbols.

I thought Easter was about Christ’s resurrection. How bout Merry Christmas?

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Christmas Tree is pagan.

These are examples of Catholicism (early Church) having to compromise and adapt folk’s culture in order to spread the religion.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easter is a Christian holiday.

It was decided to celebrate it time wise when it was probably for the same reason the pagans celebrated the equinox time- it is the start of spring, and a natural time of renewal. People want to celebrate something at that time… so something is put there.

The Bible tells the story of Christ’s birth, but it certainly doesn’t state it was on December 25.

Some religious types refuse to celebrate Christmas because it was not specifically stated to be celebrated in the Bible.

So, did the early church co-opt a date to surplant a pagan celebration? Maybe, but that doesn’t make it a pagan celebration that the Christians took over. The Christians would celebrate Christmas and Easter regardless- just maybe a different date or time.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:

These are examples of Catholicism (early Church) having to compromise and adapt folk’s culture in order to spread the religion.

Christmas is a Christian holiday celebrating the birth of Christ. We all know this. It’s also a national holiday. The USA is a culturally Christian nation and has been since its inception. It’s irrefutable

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Culturally Christian? So, what does this mean? Prayer in school?

You do know that the first white settlers in North America were fleeing England because they wanted to make their own religious choices?

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Culturally Christian? So, what does this mean? Prayer in school?

You do know that the first white settlers in North America were fleeing England because they wanted to make their own religious choices?

True. They wanted freedom OF religion. But they were also Christian.

They wanted no State Church but they could not conceive of folks who didn’t believe in God.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They wanted the Federal Government to stay out of Religion. Plain, simple, and stop.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
quote:

Christmas is a Christian holiday celebrating the birth of Christ. We all know this. It’s also a national holiday. The USA is a culturally Christian nation and has been since its inception. It’s irrefutable

You edited out the rest of my response. The Christmas Tree and the date are non Christian things.

The Inited States is not cultural Christian. We are culturally a Constitutionally a Limited Democracy.

Tell it to all the Muslims, Jews, Buddhist, atheists, etc that enjoy all the Rights and privileges of Citizenship as you.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
They wanted the Federal Government to stay out of Religion. Plain, simple, and stop.

Exactly! Completely away allowing like minded communities to have what they like — in their schools and there local courthouses.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then We Incorporated that prohibition against the States ad the Bill of Rights originally did not apply to the States.

It is called the 14th Amendment. It is one of those your Texas GOP Platform calls to abolish.

Glad we agree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Exactly! Completely away allowing like minded communities to have what they like — in their schools and there local courthouses.

Total B.S., thank God the Feds are there to stop "like minded people" from trampling on the rights of the minority.

We do not live in a Democracy but rather a Representative Republic, the founders were well aware of the terrany of the majority and designed our system to protect against it.

Your ideas about religion and Government are downright scary.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
“Tell it to all the Muslims, Jews, Buddhist, atheists, etc that enjoy all the Rights and privileges of Citizenship as you.”

Tell them what? Enjoy your day off work as the whole entire country, in a federally recognized holiday, celebrates the birth of Christ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christmas, like Easter, is now both a religious and a secular holiday. Even Americans who aren't Christians celebrate these holidays.

You don't find Santa and Rudolph in the Bible, do you?

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Total B.S., thank God the Feds are there to stop "like minded people" from trampling on the rights of the minority.

We do not live in a Democracy but rather a Representative Republic, the founders were well aware of the terrany of the majority and designed our system to protect against it.

Your ideas about religion and Government are downright scary.

I absolutely swear I don't want to trample on any other Americans rights. Call me on the phone or tell me to fly down there and look you in the eye while I say I don't want to trample on your rights and I will. ( Please don't, that's a huge waste of air miles!)

But we do sing Christian Christmas hymns in our public school at Christmas and I genuinely don't think anyone minds. It's cute, the little kids love it and it makes me teary eyed.

If the Somali Muslims in Doc Butler's town wanna Allah Akbar,.....well, whatever that's their gig. If the Oakland Californians wanna Ebonic their way thru Kwanza I dig it. Way out here in my corner of earth we, "Silent Night" and," Oh Little Town of Bethlehem".

I gotta say, I would really dig being in a heavy Hispanic community and attending their version of a school Christmas pageant or a southern African American communities school Christmas pageant. I bet it would be awesome.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Christmas, like Easter, is now both a religious and a secular holiday. Even Americans who aren't Christians celebrate these holidays.

Uh oh. Thank you for making my point. Even Americans who aren’t Christian…are celebrating Christian holidays. Why? The USA is culturally Christian. If it makes you feel better, I wish I had made your point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter if you are not Christian on a holiday like Christmas. If the damn place isn't open, pretty stupid to show up for work.

Posts: 15874 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15874 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
quote:

Uh oh. Thank you for making my point. Even Americans who aren’t Christian…are celebrating Christian holidays. Why? The USA is culturally Christian. If it makes you feel better, I wish I had made your point.

You've ignored my point to make your own.

Saying the US is culturally Christian is the same as saying the US is a white nation. The dominant culture in the US has been white European, and that included their religion.

You can't claim the US for your own religion without diminishing the contributions of others and ultimately diminishing our country.

The nation isn't culturally Christian. Maybe your family is. Lane's family is.

I am culturally Christian, but my wife is not. She's culturally Buddhist. She's just as much a part of the US as you or I. Her vote counts the same as ours.

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After some more thought, I've decided I don't like the term "culturally Christian." It makes us think backwards at the issue.

Religion is part of culture, not vice versa. A number of different cultures are Christian. And our culture (if the US even has a single culture, which it doesn't) includes more religions than Christianity.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
one of my associates was “over my shoulder”as i viewed this thread
and sent me this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9UJ-kJYLsQ

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
It doesn't matter if you are not Christian on a holiday like Christmas. If the damn place isn't open, pretty stupid to show up for work.

In my line of work, we are open 24/7.

I don't see the nonchristians volunteering to work the christian religious holidays even for an exchange to one of theirs. In fact, they usually want (and get) both. Yes, everyone gets their share of holidays to work... but there was only one jewish guy who was willing to say I will take christmas, if you will take one of mine for me... The rest all played games with it.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote