Find
Notify
Tools

This is what the US needs: Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted
The loons in operation:

“A bill in the state Legislature seeking to regulate science curriculum in public schools got its first hearing Monday. The legislation’s sponsor says by banning scientific theories, the policy aims to prevent kids from being taught things that aren’t true.

More than 20 people testified against Senate Bill 235, concerned that it could keep teachers from including gravitational theory, evolution and cell theory in curriculum.”

Hey, let’s teach our kids that some dude walked on water some 2000 years ago. That’s going to up our competition with China and Japan.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even your opposition has stated the Bible is full of allegory. That could include Creation.

I am not a hard Evolutionist. However, I have a hard time saying “The Bible is full of allegory” ignoring the possibility that includes creation. I have faith God created man as described. I do not see any conflict in Hod creating the Universe as sheer will and the Big Bang Theory.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Lack of family, discipline, honor, is what’s missing. Along with a dearth of right and wrong. …one nation under God and to the republic…. Remember?

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like Duct tape, Jesus will fix everything.....

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Tomahawk, I hed at least 4 direct ancestor’s that fought in the Revolutionary War, 3 in the Civil War, my father and numerous uncles in WWII and served in the military myself.

I’m an American through and through: Tell me why I have to buy this one God concept? Why do Native Americans and Asians have to accept your concepts.

Do you really think schools can teach right and wrong?

I’ll tell you what is wrong with the United States; at least one big thing. Corporations push profit above all else. Our children are inundated with ads, with shows that push crass materialism. You get that neat car, running shoes, teeth whitened and life is good. You get to the lay the good looking chicks. It is pushed on everyone, but hits vulnerable kids the hardest and it’s all crap. And, I hate to admit that I buy into it myself: Have to have Swarvorski, Kuiu and custom guns. Haha, make me a better Hunter. I have a buddy that is one of the best hunters I know. He bought a Ruger 77 in 30-06, put a gloss Leupold 4x on it in 1973.

The fact is that corporation creat a want where there was no want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It’s weird as hell watching the Turks praising God for saving the odd person from the earthquake while never considering that by their own logic that God caused (or at the very least could have prevented) the earthquake in the first place.

I’ll bet the preachers are telling them they brought it on themselves by not putting enough in the collection plate.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Haha, well you know Tumbleweed: “You can’t fight the devil with fives and tens.”

“Pass the plate and praise the lord.”

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
Tomahawk, I hed at least 4 direct ancestor’s that fought in the Revolutionary War, 3 in the Civil War, my father and numerous uncles in WWII and served in the military myself.

I’m an American through and through: Tell me why I have to buy this one God concept? Why do Native Americans and Asians have to accept your concepts.

I’ll tell you what is wrong with the United States; at least one big thing. Corporations push profit above all else. Our children are inundated with ads, with shows that push crass materialism. You get that neat car, running shoes, teeth whitened and life is good. You get to the lay the good looking chicks. It is pushed on everyone, but hits vulnerable kids the hardest and it’s all crap. And, I hate to admit that I buy into it myself: Have to have Swarvorski, Kuiu and custom guns. Haha, make me a better Hunter. I have a buddy that is one of the best hunters I know. He bought a Ruger 77 in 30-06, put a gloss Leupold 4x on it in 1973.

shocker shocker shocker

That was friggin awesome!

Posts: 9092 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
My family has been here since the 1680’s-
we too have fought in every conflict since that time;
and served, when no conflict was present.

Does this give me any more province as to being American than anyone else,
IMO, NO.

Many of us have “been here a long time” familialy.
While historically significant,it is largely irrelevant with respect to
our current set of delimmas.

Yes,
schools can teach “right & wrong “ as easily and perhaps more easily,
than they can teach transgenderism and other ideologies.

And-
Yes , we the USA,
were created as a christian nation not a secular nation.
That creation was to respect the christian beliefs and mores while not
thrusting them down the throat of the non- believers.

Separation of church and state , is freedom of religion , not freedom from religion.
The ideation that that religion played no role in our founding is farcical.

You may be non-religious , however, religion very much formed this nation.

As to advertising, it has always been with us.
Nothing is new in separating you from your money, at least since money was created.
The weak and feckless are easily swayed by barkers.
The resilient and intelligent much less so.

By all means buy what you want-
however, blame no one but yourself for your purchases.

It was not the cooperative mind
but your own that made the choice to purchase.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And-
Yes , we the USA,
were created as a christian nation not a secular nation.
That creation was to respect the christian beliefs and mores while not
thrusting them down the throat of the non- believers.

Separation of church and state , is freedom of religion , not freedom from religion.
The ideation that that religion played no role in our founding is farcical.

John Adams as President said we were a secular government. The Federal Government cannot establish a religion. Bring a Christian was not a qualification for public office.

In the early, State period when Federalism ruled, states could and did establish state churches. Connecticut comes to mind. This was broken by applying the Bill of Rights against the states. State legislators had already abandoned state churches.

I actually agree w everything you said since the Church.

The Amendment has two clauses. It has never not been read as two clauses. One being the free exercise clause. The prohibition against establishment of a church. This second clause lead to Courts maintaining the Government remain neutral in religion.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
religion very much formed this nation

So did slavery, piracy, and denying women the right to vote.

There are some things governments need to grow out of. Like it or not, it’s the 21st century.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt we are a culturally Christian nation. And these kids need something, what we’re doing isn’t working. In my og post, that is a exactly what’s missing. Family, honor, discipline, integrity. And if you don’t think we’re culturally Christian have a Happy Easter.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Courthouse can’t put up a cross for Easter.

I guess only Christians have morals and all the crime is committed by atheists, Muslims, and Jews.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

But…they should be able to if they want to and I see nothing in the Constitution that should prevent it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

shocker shocker shocker

That was friggin awesome!

One of the better ones here.

And I agree that K-12 can’t teach right or wrong. It’s too late at that point if the kid was not raised in a nurturing environment and the beginnings of morality taught.

I agree with Lane that if the community wishes to put up (and provides- no federal money) a religious symbol on public property it’s no harm, especially if it is not restrictive to just one group- ie a cross for Easter, a menorah for Passover, the star and crescent for Ramadan… whatever. That is not establishing a religion. I can live with not doing so just fine as well. What I don’t care for is the teaching of secular humanism to kids when you prohibit any other religious practice.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
CRBUTLER, I’m with you: I don’t take personal umbrage if a cross or menorah is put up for the holidays, but it violates the law. There used to be a large lit cross for the holidays in Eugene, Oregon. A suit was brought to remove it. I have to agree with the plaintiff’s legal right, but always thought that it was still a chicken shit move; so many people derived pleasure from it.

The real issue I have with your post is your suggestion that secular humanism is being taught instead of religion. I have never heard that it is being taught that there is no God. If it is somewhere, then this is as bad as to promote a religion in the school and shouldn’t be allowed.

I tend to agree with the conservatives that schools should stick to teaching the three “R’s.” It is a tougher question when thorny issues are brought up and discussed. Should “To Kill A Movking Bird” be read in high school and discussed?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s a good point.

One little issue is what is “appropriate” for literature class.

In the old days, it was the classics. In my mind, to kill a mockingbird is a classic, and can certainly be discussed appropriately.

I suspect most would agree with that.

Where we have issues is when you get an activist teacher who takes Harper Lee’s book and turns it into a springboard for CRT and such.

I am at a loss how you write a set of rules that tells which books to teach, especially when there are so many.

Is the diary of Anne Frank a literature class lesson (where I was exposed to it), history, political science, philosophy, or something else?

In a way I can see why they stuck to the old classics in my grandfather’s day… Sinclair Lewis was a friend of my great grandfather’s and his work was well known locally, but not in the schools- and the point was made by my grandfather that anything you can find in modern literature, you could find in the classics, it just took more work to link it by discussion…) if you read Plato, Homer, Chaucer, Shakespeare, and yes, the Bible, you could learn very well to interpret literature and draw meanings. In his day, folks read literature and had adult conversations about it. By sticking with the older classics, you avoided alienating part of the populace before you got to thinking.

Who really has adult conversations about art and literature now? It’s all mostly shock, which draws a line before you even can discuss underlying concepts.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

But…they should be able to if they want to and I see nothing in the Constitution that should prevent it.

That is religious ternary. Would you be okay with a Muslim symbol? It should never happen, long unconstitutional. Your Judicial Activism and insertion of private matters (faith) in the public government is not libertarian.

If the School does not receive any state funds. I have no objection. That is a private institution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than Heym and his juvenile ranting THIS is A great thread with some very thoughtful posts!

Posts: 41774 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crbutler:

I am at a loss how you write a set of rules that tells which books to teach, especially when there are so many.

[/QUOTE)

"So many" aren't necessary.

I have a nice personal library with a variety of subjects. My little girl has a huge library that is a bit monochromatic.

Public Education should be limited in diversity and depth. Instruct in religion? No.
Instruct in fringe or rare art, culture, hobbies or past times? No.

A students ethnic, social, sexual, physical or political identity is between the student and private individuals, not the student and federally funded and guidelined education.

The "three R's " are more important than ever, fringe and radical topics have plenty of decades after primary school to be explored.

Posts: 9092 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can not discuss civics without those identity issues.

Political fragmentation covers the foundation of the nation. How would you reach civics or a topics class wo political identity being discussed.

How do you teach the Bill of Rights wo a discussion on the 14th civisAmendment and its application against the states?

How can you teach literature, with your limitations?

Other than JTEX who adds nothing to the conversation everyone keep rocking on.

If a parent wants to object to a particular reading that is fine.

One cannot read To Kill a Mocking Bird without a discussion on the systematic racism of the time. That is a great theme of the work.

A valid discussion and exercise is to compare and contrast that racism, and how have we advanced. That would include touching into the courts. There is nothing wrong with that.

The Iliad & The Odyssey has incest angle. Should it not be taught?

Gay stories of life are just as important as stories of straight people.

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Scott, I tend to agree with you, but on the other hand, it seems appropriate for high school to discuss/debate major social issues of various times.

I guess what’s important is that the teacher refrains from proselytizing. I mean like it or not, slavery is a big part of American history. And teaching about slavery is fraught with problems. For example, I believe slavery to be a reprehensible institutions, yet, although not giving slave owners a pass, I recognize the times these people lived in. I mean people pretty much accept and adopt the prevalent views of the cultural they live in. I’m certain that if I was a teacher and broached that idea, there would be those who would claim that I was an apologist for slave owners.

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
For example, my father was a racist. Oh, not in the sense of a klansman or one who would engage in lynching. And he was a full-service racist, I.e., Japanese were japs and all other Asians were chinks.

All of his acquaintances and fellow workers had adopted the racial tropes of the times about black people. Was he a bad person? We’re all the people who lived in a 75 mile radius of us bad people? I don’t buy that. Most of these men had fought, struggled, been severely injured and died for their country in WWII. He was a hard working and a fair man, but he was a man of his time and his geography.

I remember as a small kid watching Cassius Clay fight and being like every other kid and his parents in his my school in hoping that there would be a white heavy weight champion. I grew out of those antiquated ideas of my early youth. I did it by education.

I believe that these are issues that all high school kids should deal with.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scott, I tend to agree with you, but on the other hand, it seems appropriate for high school to discuss/debate major social issues of various times.

I guess what’s important is that the teacher refrains from proselytizing. I mean like it or not, slavery is a big part of American history. And teaching about slavery is fraught with problems. For example, I believe slavery to be a reprehensible institutions, yet, although not giving slave owners a pass, I recognize the times these people lived in. I mean people pretty much accept and adopt the prevalent views of the cultural they live in. I’m certain that if I was a teacher and broached that idea, there would be those who would claim that I was an apologist for slave owners.

You and I disagree on nothing.

But Public Education is limited in time and therefore scope. If time, if hours in class is finite, if the attention span of the students is even more fenced in, do we have opportunity for the rainbow or do we stick to and focus on the priorities we can force thru their ears?

Is the basic command of the sciences mandatory? Yes.
Is the basic command of language mandatory? Yes.
Is the basic command of history mandatory? Since history repeats itself, I say absolutely yes.

In higher education I at least would be happy to fund my little girls education in sculpting, Chinese literature, Lighter than air avionics, ( balloons!) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin and under water basket weaving. But for those first twelve years of classroom I really just want her to be warm and safe while she learns to add, write, speak intelligently and critically think.

I will go full nuke on any educator that tries to insert fluid gender, religion, partisan politics and other malarkey on my kid, their student. They need to succeed in their basic, plain job, for the next decade and a half I'll handle the rest.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:

Political fragmentation covers the foundation of the nation. How would you reach civics or a topics class wo political identity being discussed.

How do you teach the Bill of Rights wo a discussion on the 14th civisAmendment and its application against the states?

One cannot read To Kill a Mocking Bird without a discussion on the systematic racism of the time. That is a great theme of the work.

A valid discussion and exercise is to compare and contrast that racism, and how have we advanced. That would include touching into the courts. There is nothing wrong with that.

Gay stories are important to who? My six year old needs to know, " gay stories" Your emphasis why?
Are we grooming ?

Are stories ok, or do they have to be your, " gay stories" ?

Jtex comes and goes here as he pleases and I like him quite a bit. Saeed participates here exclusively to stir the pot and as a funny aside, my Bud Jtex frequently takes the bait. Big Grin. Seems you take Jtex bait.

Get back to us when you have kids, ( say three maybe,) and you're dealing with bullying, abuse, violence and assault in the Public Education of your children. If you're any kind of parent, Critical Race Theory, Black History Month, Gay Pride and the, " gay stories" ain't gonna be on your menu. Jtex sent his kids and wife off to school everyday to risk being a victim of a mass school shooting. Doc Lane and I let our kids go alone to be run over in the school parking lot, be assaulted by the lunatic classmate, poisoned with tainted food at lunch. ( Yes, we send our kids with a home packed lunch everyday, but who knows what those little hands and mouth get hold of.

To a good parent, "gay stories" don't count.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Without a doubt we are a culturally Christian nation. And these kids need something, what we’re doing isn’t working. In my og post, that is a exactly what’s missing. Family, honor, discipline, integrity. And if you don’t think we’re culturally Christian have a Happy Easter.

Our culture is diverse, and has a lot more influences than Christianity.

Look at your example, Easter--a PAGAN holiday. You don't read about Easter bunnies and eggs in the Bible, do you? They're fertility symbols.

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the basic command of the sciences mandatory? Yes.

Best turn in your GOP membership. You no longer fit.

Posts: 15877 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Gay stories are important to who? My six year old needs to know, " gay stories" Your emphasis why?
Are we grooming ?

Jtex comes and goes here as he pleases and I like him quite a bit. Saeed participates here exclusively to stir the pot and as a funny aside, my Bud Jtex frequently takes the bait. Big Grin. Seems you take Jtex bait.

Get back to us when you have kids, ( say three maybe,) and you're dealing with bullying, abuse, violence and assault in the Public Education of your children. If you're any kind of parent, Critical Race Theory, Black History Month, Gay Pride and the, " gay stories" ain't gonna be on your menu. Jtex sent his kids and wife off to school everyday to risk being a victim of a mass school shooting. Doc Lane and I let our kids go alone to be run over in the school parking lot, be assaulted by the lunatic classmate, poisoned with tainted food at lunch. ( Yes, we send our kids with a home packed lunch everyday, but who knows what those little hands and mouth get hold of.

There are a lot of good gay parents out there.

There are just as important and deserving as you. The attitude you just demonstrated with those words maybe more.

Get back to me when you know a family with gay parents.

You are not superior.

You can get back to me about children when you change your wife’s a 40 year brother’s colostomy bag.

When you hold him so he does not bite his tongue off or injure himself in a seizure.

When his mother had 3 miscarriages before him.

When you watch him drag himself by his arms because he cannot walk.

When you get a court order to keep a nurse from using unnecessary restraints bc people are scared.

When you never hear him speak.

Then you tell me a thing.

Get back to me when you watch your 16 year old brother burn to where they can’t identity him and his mother die of grief.

Then you can tell me a thing or two.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are we grooming ?

There are just as important and deserving as you. The attitude you just demonstrated with those words maybe more.

You are not superior.

You can get back to me about children when you change your wife’s a 40 year brother’s colostomy bag.

When you hold him so he does not bite his tongue off or injure himself in a seizure.

When you get a court order to keep a nurse from using unnecessary restraints bc people are scared.

Get back to me when you watch your 16 year old brother burn to where they can’t identity him and his mother die of grief.

You
Have
No
Kids,
Fuck
Off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a small minded person. You are no better parent than a gay parent.

Your children are no more loved and no better parented than gay people’s children.

You are not superior to me nor anyone.

Your family is no better nor mor e important than a family with gay parents.

Your family is no more important than mine.

And another great example of Christianity on AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right that no family is more important than another...

But you are missing the point.

Gay story/straight story is superfluous and not necessary as part of primary education.

The kids need to learn basic math, basic English including how to read for comprehension and how to write for clarity.

Secondary education is about building blocks- history, civics, literature, the sciences, and a very minimal introduction to the humanities.

The hallmark of post secondary education is critical thinking, along with beginning to specialize your knowledge base.

Where does gay stories, or critical race theory (or game theory, or particle physics) fall in to even secondary education. Those are either items for personal perusal or post secondary specialization.

We are losing our educational system because instead of focusing on a base of knowledge to build from we are fragmenting it to make sure no subgroup feels neglected. A kid that is taught the contributions of a particular race is lost if he doesn't know what that race was contributing to before that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You
Have
No
Kids,
Fuck
Off.

Another Christian following the footsteps of Christ. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the USA needs.

From an individual

Comprehension (home and education), compassion (home), self reliance (home), ability to solve a problem (home and education), measures to limit the influence of media and social media to children (home). ambition (This appears to be lost with then current generation ; less than 30 yrs old) sometimes I believe this group needs to struggle, too much has been provided to them. Goes back to self reliance which should be demonstrated in the home.

OH: let's not forget dietary education (home). Need examples set by parents!!

Noted: government was not included in my thoughts.
Will not be a solution over night.

I suppose if you put it all in a bottle: Parents need to spend more time with their children and less time just giving them "stuff".
Their children are their most important asset and not their stuff. Give them your time!
I have always felt that you children can learn from your strengths and recognize your weaknesses and every generation get a bit better.
How can they learn anything from you if you do not spend time with them?
FAMILY UNIT!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hallmark of post secondary education is critical thinking, along with beginning to specialize your knowledge base.

Where does gay stories, or critical race theory (or game theory, or particle physics) fall in to even secondary education. Those are either items for personal perusal or post secondary specialization.

You make broad generalizations. Yes, for many high school students, subjects that promote deep discussion and the development of critical thinking skills are simply a waste of time. I often thought a better educational system would allow the development of trade skills for a large portion of our students. But there are other students that are capable of development by more challenging courses. Do you think Jtex would have reaped a benefit from knowing the year and the why, Julius Caesar and his legions crossed the Rubicon?

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Scott, you do understand that gayness is a reality of life and is not a matter of choice. Obviously, with younger children, the sexual aspects aren’t appropriate, but the realities of same sex living together and loving each other shouldn’t be pushed under the bed.

On the other hand, I felt uncomfortable in watching certain movies where the fuck scene thrown in. It’s natural for kids to ask what the actors are doing when they are doing the old bump and grab. Something’s are just not age appropriate. They have plenty of time to learn about that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You make broad generalizations. Yes, for many high school students, subjects that promote deep discussion and the development of critical thinking skills are simply a waste of time. I often thought a better educational system would allow the development of trade skills for a large portion of our students. But there are other students that are capable of development by more challenging courses. Do you think Jtex would have reaped a benefit from knowing the year and the why, Julius Caesar and his legions crossed the Rubicon?

You make a good point in a terrible way.......and touch on one of my major pet peeves.

A lack of vocational training opportunities in school.

I know most in this discussion are college educated by their proffession. You all may know I'm not. I made a damned fine living as an electrician. Was completely retired by the age of 55. Raised a family and did pretty well.

So much of "education" leaves out people that are not college bound.

I got kids that couldn't read a tape measure but had English literature...... They were on the basketball team but couldn't add fractions of an inch......

Who built your offices? The roads you drive on? The homes you live in?

I retired a business owner and master electrician....but I got most of my "required" education after school at night in junior college as "continued education".....that I paid for, directly.

Most of my parents school taxes where totally wasted......

I love history, always have(certain segments) but it was a wasted subject when and where I went to school. Usually taught by a coach in an off period....." Read chapter 1 through 4.......test on friday, while they worked on their play book for the next game....

Posts: 41774 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If schools had mastered the ability to graduate all with a fundamental handle on the the 3 Rs + science…we could entertain the rest.

They have not.

Just like in baseball…it all comes back to the fundamentals.

Make them competent mathematicians and readers. Make them eloquent and fluid in the English language. Give them a strong foundation in fundamental biology, chemistry, and physics.

As my Granny was fond of saying: “people that do a good job of tending to their own business have no time to tend to others.”

I think these words of wisdom apply to K-12 schools. Their business is fundamentals…nothing more.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are we grooming ?

You are not superior.

You
Have
No
Kids,
Fuck
Off.

Do you find it odd that a whole,lot of people that don't have kids ALWAYS know the best way to raise them?

I really do.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
And…guaranteed his mind would change 180 if he did. He just hasn’t learned that life lesson yet.

I was pro-choice until I went through the process. The light clicked on when they handed me that bundle fresh out of the womb.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Jtex, I made a jab at you for humor.

I don’t look down at people that work in the trades the least. Matter of fact, I greatly admire and respect people like who can perform such incredible acts of construction. I think having a trade and being good at it is the equal to being a doctor, professor or an accountant. Equal to an attorney? Not so much. Haha.

Lane, I disagree that all students should be taught the likes of chemistry. I was pretty good at math, but have I ever used calculus? No. Engineers need certain math programs, but the rest of us, it’s a waste of time. All most of us need in life in the way of mathematics is basic arithmetic and basic algebra. What’s the use of Shakespeare or Dickens when they should spend their time learning how to weld for example.

I like Biden’s statements about a job is more than about a paycheck. It’s about dignity.

I respect farmers, tradesmen if they are good as much as any other career.