Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just an average summer Login/Join 
One of Us
posted

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dude, he's easy to find, you could just drive over there and hump his leg or get his autograph or take your picture with him or something.
I'm sure Jines would go with you.

Posts: 9092 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Death Valley supposed to be 129 degrees tomorrow, I'd kind of like to go just to see what it feels like. Freda says no.

Saeed has probably felt it in his lifetime...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:

Southern Europe is currently suffering as well.

I was thinking about climate change as I drove back to see my family a few days ago and happened to be driving past a huge vineyard. One of many planted over the last decade or so in southern UK. Not something I ever saw as a kid.

Posts: 7165 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So what?

The earth started covered in ice a mile deep! clap

Anyway, we are all in bonus time.

According to Greta and her minions we are all dead! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just completing a two week road trip. Dallas-Colorado Springs, Co - Cheyene,Wyoming- Deadwood SD - Cody Wy - Butte Mon - Kallispell Mon. - Idaho Falls Id - Grand Junction Co. - Pagosa Springs Co.

Until today from Grand Junction - Pagosa Springs the weather was extremely mild and I have never seen it so green and lush.
Looks like the entire route had an extraordinary amount of rain. Lakes full, many ag field were lightly flooded.
A absolute beautiful trip. National Parks were jammed and not much fun.
I have never seen so much river rafting. Must have had a good snow pack this past winter.
Going home to heat in Dallas later today.
Have not missed that the past two weeks.
I will say the beginning of the trip from Dallas all the way up to Texline was incredibly green for Texas in July (Even Childress and Vernon....)

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
First of all…I said just an average Texas summer. Now I will say a cooler and way wetter than average Texas summer. North central Texas is on average one of the hottest parts of Texas.

Sitting on my front porch drinking coffee overlooking my front pasture…one of the lushest greenest Julys I have ever seen. Usually 100°F plus and dry here now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post

It's hot, ya'll

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Here in Maine it has been wet. A marine layer to rival SF so foggy most nights.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
First of all…I said just an average Texas summer. Now I will say a cooler and way wetter than average Texas summer. North central Texas is on average one of the hottest parts of Texas.

Sitting on my front porch drinking coffee overlooking my front pasture…one of the lushest greenest Julys I have ever seen. Usually 100°F plus and dry here now.

103 tomorrow. 105 on Tuesday. 105 on Wednesday. And, that's ambient, not heat index.

Way too early to be saying things like we're going to have an easy or average summer.

You're right. Not too bad today though. Cloudy.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, as you can see there is more than just Gainesville in Texas.

Second of all, is that an admission that this is not normal heat for the West-South summer?

Sounds like you are implying these numbers are not a normal summer.

Third of all, your assertion
of an average summer in Texas was in response to climate change. You used that conclusionary state for the position we are not experiencing climate change that needs to be addressed by market and legislative incentivizing the market.

Well, these numbers and these reports which are more authoritative they you can be, even being second hand, on the subject dispute that conclusionary statement. If we want to be local and isolated about it, we have had 70 degree days in February here.

Yes, I will trust Reuters’ reporting and NPR on the issue over you and your observation. That again is not accurate; even looking at Texas as this abnormal heat has expanded into Texas.

The mass of stagnant air responsible for the event has already lingered over Texas and Louisiana for weeks. It’s feeding on itself to generate more heat as it moves west, depleting ground moisture and discouraging cloud formation,

Yeah, just normal according to Dr. Easter.

Impacts of not normal Texas heat:

https://www.reuters.com/busine...eat-wave-2023-07-13/

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and weirdly, it just rained in Dallas, in JULY --
great, it's going to be HUMID and hot later today

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Chickens little cry about sky falling meanwhile life on earth goes on

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
In the late 80's and into the early 90's I used to do long road trip camping excursions. I saw a lot of the country that way.

On one of those trips I did the desert southwest. I do not remember the year. It was in the high teens and 120's F. Bloody hot. Our camp site on the Rio Grande had no trees so the only shade was the tent. We didn't stay long. While looking around Phoenix, the cooler in my hatchback melted. That was one hot summer.

~Ann

Posts: 19157 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bivoj:

As we see from the Wildfires, droughts, flooding, and out pit of the Texas Power Grid that crashed one winter ago, life is not just going on.

If you cannot refute the reporting, you do not have much to say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
and weirdly, it just rained in Dallas, in JULY --
great, it's going to be HUMID and hot later today

Lane is right though, at least about today. Not too bad. Kind of soupy. Next 9 or 10 days not so good.

Texas, baby. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

103 tomorrow. 105 on Tuesday. 105 on Wednesday. And, that's ambient, not heat index.

Way too early to be saying things like we're going to have an easy or average summer.

103 and 105 are normal and expected this time of the year.

I have ranch properties scattered throughout Texas. One of the lushest greenest midsummers in my recollection. I am fixing to leave for Africa for a month as usual for this time period. This year all cattle and horses standing belly high in lush green grass.

Last year…I had to have all kinds of contingencies in place for cattle and horses to be moved as it was hotter and drier. This year…no worries!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
out pit of the Texas Power Grid that crashed one winter ago,

What's an "out pit"

ERCOT fails ONCE and you keep beating that drum .. Cali has rolling blackouts during EVERY summer, and not one chirp>??

Though, TBH, more people were impacted by a one-time Texas event than the total number of people in KY ---

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bivoj:

As we see from the Wildfires, droughts, flooding, and out pit of the Texas Power Grid that crashed one winter ago, life is not just going on.

If you cannot refute the reporting, you do not have much to say.

I don’t refute reporting, I do refute Sky is falling

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Anecdotal observations, while perhaps helpful in rationalizing a position, hardly override broader statistical trends.

Last month was the hottest June ever recorded on Earth
Rebecca Hersher
AP

Last month was the hottest June on record going back 174 years, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It's the latest temperature record to fall this summer, as the El Niño climate pattern exacerbates the effects of human-caused climate change.

The average global temperature in June 2023 was slightly hotter than the previous record June, which occurred in 2020.

Millions of people around the world suffered as a result, as heat waves hit every continent. In the U.S., record-breaking heat gripped much of the country including the Northeast, Texas, the Plains and Puerto Rico in June, and another round of deadly heat is affecting people across the southern half of the country this week.

Every June for the last 47 years has been hotter than the twentieth century average for the month, a stark reminder that greenhouse gas emissions, largely from burning fossil fuels, are causing steady and devastating warming worldwide.

The El Niño climate pattern, which officially began last month, is one reason temperatures are so hot right now. The cyclic pattern causes hotter than normal water in the Pacific Ocean, and the extra heat alters weather around the world and raises global temperatures. Usually, the hottest years on record occur when El Niño is active.

But the main driver of record-breaking heat is human-caused climate change. This June is just the latest reminder that heat-trapping greenhouse gasses continue to accumulate in the atmosphere and disrupt the planet's climate. The last eight years were the hottest ever recorded, and forecasters say the next five years will be the hottest on record.

Oceans are trending even hotter than the planet as a whole. This June was the hottest month ever recorded for the world's oceans. One of many hotspots is in the Gulf of Mexico, where water temperatures in some areas hovered around 90 degrees Fahrenheit this week. That's dangerously hot for some marine species, including coral.

Oceans have absorbed more than 90% of the extra heat in the atmosphere generated by human-caused warming.

Many parts of the U.S. are continuing to see dangerously high temperatures in July. Heat waves are the deadliest weather-related disasters in the U.S., and are especially dangerous for people who live or work outside, and for people with cardiovascular or respiratory diseases. Officials recommend learning the signs of heatstroke and other heat-related illnesses, staying hydrated and taking time to adjust when outside temperatures are high.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
out pit of the Texas Power Grid that crashed one winter ago,

What's an "out pit"

ERCOT fails ONCE and you keep beating that drum .. Cali has rolling blackouts during EVERY summer, and not one chirp>??

Though, TBH, more people were impacted by a one-time Texas event than the total number of people in KY ---

It's a typo and he likely meant output.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1170 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ERCOT fails ONCE and you keep beating that drum

Ercot failed at the worst possible time with dire consequences, and has since been bailed out of doing it again by wind & solar.

Posts: 15877 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:
ERCOT fails ONCE and you keep beating that drum

Ercot failed at the worst possible time with dire consequences, and has since been bailed out of doing it again by wind & solar.

again, Cali has rolling blackouts during EVERY summer, and not one chirp>??

It's "CUTE how you even edited around that ... awe, aren't you just precious?

Since it's bloody OBVIOUS you have an axe to grind, but no dog in the fight, let me offer you an EDUCATION

quote:
All types of generation technologies failed. All types of power plants were impacted by the winter storm. Certain power plants within each category of technologies (natural gas-fired power plants, coal power plants, nuclear reactors, wind generation, and solar generation facilities) failed to operate at their expected electricity generation output levels

https://energy.utexas.edu/site...ckout%2020210714.pdf

while additional wind and solar assets were added to the production facilities, it wasn't adding as new for solar and wind, nor even was the added capacity a major part of today's available resources..

and nevermind that solar doesn't make power when covered in snow

https://www.texaspolicy.com/wp...ettTahuahuaNasi.pdft

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
Ercot failed at the worst possible time with dire consequences,

Yes, of course a system fails under it's worst load conditions - and yes, 59 deaths are attributed to this. That is TERRIBLE.

It's ODD that the deaths from Cali rolling blackouts are never reported, as the vulnerable (needing medical equipment, the elderly, and the sick ) are also subject to these outages.

BTW, the UT study i posted -- well, UT will never say anything good about anything that happens in Texas outside of Travis county - to call it a liberal school would be a profound understatement

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have ranch properties scattered throughout Texas. One of the lushest greenest midsummers in my recollection. I am fixing to leave for Africa for a month as usual for this time period. This year all cattle and horses standing belly high in lush green grass.

Last year…I had to have all kinds of contingencies in place for cattle and horses to be moved as it was hotter and drier. This year…no worries!

Now this is a prime example of some critical republican reasoning.

1. It was cool on my porch when I had coffee this morning.

2. I'm rich and have properties all over Texas and it's green this summer.

3. All the cattle and horses I own have lots of green grass this summer.

Global warming is bullshit.

Thanks, Lane.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks, Lane.

See, now that's funny!

No leg humping or but sniffing, no Internet stalking like the prepubescent lawyer, just witty and funny. Big Grin

Posts: 9092 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
“Chickens little cry about sky falling meanwhile life on earth goes on”

Sadly, this of kind of ignorance, responsible have to deal with.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Scientists are telling us that last week, worldwide, earth had the highest temperatures on record. Denying the truth is the same as saying, “Show me a lie that Trump ever told.”

So weird to see. To see, the cultist evaluate every last fucking fact through distorted political lens. How does a human fake himself out like this?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Denying reality over your morning coffee. The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup . . .

“Oceans are trending even hotter than the planet as a whole. This June was the hottest month ever recorded for the world's oceans. One of many hotspots is in the Gulf of Mexico, where water temperatures in some areas hovered around 90 degrees Fahrenheit this week. That's dangerously hot for some marine species, including coral.”

NPR

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume the ocean temp is because the ocean absorbs UV light.

I read a very good peer reviewed study on the lack, better word would be reduction, of sea ice has caused a shift in polar bear diet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks, Lane.

See, now that's funny!

No leg humping or but sniffing, no Internet stalking like the prepubescent lawyer, just witty and funny. Big Grin

Attacking someone’s sexual, physical maturity is a very strong indication one has the mental and physical maturity of a middle schooler.

No, I not going to let Dr. Easter simply, falsely lie on this forum.

His wealth such as it is not his local observations are not fact. They are also in stark contrast to professional observations in the field. They are also inconsistent with Texas.note, he has stopped using the argument all is normal. The heat currently Da info across the West and parts of the Deep South, Louisiana and Florida, is not normal. Nor, is record flooding in the East w drought in the West.

Temp swings from -5 to 70 degrees between January and February is not normal.

He cannot argue with the fact Texas has had to produce more energy to meat the burden this heat has caused. An energy burden that we frankly need to find other sources of production.

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
“It hit 97 degrees this week in the ocean off South Florida. Not the air temperature — the ocean itself. In steam-bath Miami, the heat index has surpassed 100 degrees for more than 30 straight days. Large swaths of Texas, Nevada and Arizona have been broiling in 110-plus degrees for a week (Phoenix: 118 degrees), with no end to the inferno in sight. In Canada's Northwest Territories — just a few miles south of the Arctic Circle — temperatures climbed to 99.3 degrees. In China, officials are opening underground air-raid shelters so people can hide from life-endangering heat. Climate change's effects are becoming surreal: Last week was the hottest week ever recorded in terms of the average global temperature. July 4 was the hottest day ever recorded — warmer, say scientists, than any other day over the last 125,000 years. With the El Niño climate pattern releasing even more heat in coming months, said climatologist Christopher Hewitt of the World Meteorological Organization, "we are in uncharted territory."

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19157 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
The point of your post, Ann?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
the heat index

not disclaiming anything else you said, however, heat index is, by definition, not the temp. It's the temp and the humidity - in houston, on an average day, air temps of about 91-92, with normal humidity, it is a heat index over 100 ...

what am I saying? I'd be more inclined to "trust" this source if it refrained from using "feelings" as facts

is the climate changing? yes sir, it is

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
The point of your post, Ann?

Doug, it explains the current weather pattern which is an el nino. We've also just come out of a triple la nina. These weather patterns are explained on the link.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . and global warming is increasing the frequency of extreme El Niño events, leading to intensifying droughts, worsening floods, and shifting hurricane patterns, according to the National Academy of Sciences.

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . and global warming is increasing the frequency of extreme El Niño events, leading to intensifying droughts, worsening floods, and shifting hurricane patterns, according to the National Academy of Sciences.

Mike, I guess that depends on the definition of "frequency" - we just had a RARE triple la nina, which should have been an el nino last year .. but i agree that when we have an el nino, it tends to be worse ...

so, are el ninos, in general, happening more frequently? not in the last couple years

but are the el ninos we get more sever, yeah, i think so

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

I don't know if they are any more frequent. Maybe? Undersea volcanic activity contributes quite a bit to oceanic warming which influences el nino situations.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The question to Heym, Schroeder, Wymple, MJines and the two Mikes is, are YOU changing any aspect of your life to combat AGW or are you just here to lecture?
I bet you all are cancelling your hunting trips and vacations, right?

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote