Notify
Tools

Texas Leading the Way Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
If you think the Martin shooter acted intelligently and how ccw citizens should act, you are walking on dangerous ground.

It is not a horse race to tell you a firearm and a ccw is not to deescalate a situation. It is to meet the objective threat of death or serious physical injury.
The more you can do to avoid it. The more likely a) it won’t happen (that is a good thing) and b) the jury will find you acted w justification.

As for the cop in Floyd. I bet he wishes he just put him in the back of the cruiser. That was what should have happened.

Strange but the autopsy said he died from a heart attack. The official autopsy not the Crump bought and paid for version.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Chauvin had him in his control, while he was passed out and kept kneeling on him and refused to get him medical attention.

Evidently, Chauvin and Floyd had bad blood from bouncing work (in the papers here).

One of the rookie cops commented on not feeling a pulse and Chauvin claimed “he’s faking it.”

Chauvin owed a person in his control ordinary care. He didn’t provide it and was so grossly over the line he was convicted for it.

I don’t buy the “St. George Floyd” crap, but Chauvin and his colleagues got what the law requires.

Yes, being a cop is a tough job that I would not want. It takes a special type of person to be a good law officer. Chauvin was not one.

The Minneapolis police union kept him on the job. The union should have some responsibility for his being there and his acts… along with the department.

Posts: 10669 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
My opinion only and not arguing Dr. Butler.

I would have fired him and banned him from ever being a LEO again…but I would not have sent him to the pen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36669 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chauvin I’m not upset about.

I do think the rookies that were convicted were given more than they deserved, but Chauvin and the other trainer deserve prison time, in my opinion.

The trainees deserve what you suggested, IMO.

Posts: 10669 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trevon martin was cutting through peoples back yards, it's why Zimmerman called the cops in the first place. Maybe in lawyer speak "he had a right to be there" but to most of us, someone we dont know on our lawn is a no-no. The scuffle went down on a back lawn even.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
1. The large corporate merchandisers with the constant barrage of advertisements have told Americans what the “good life” is: what toys one must purchase.

2. The tv and movie industry (that people spend much of their waking moments watching) tells Americans what kind of social life one should have.

3. The well meaning liberals for decades have created safety nets for those who don’t have it so good to the point that Americans feel entitled.

The media has created the need and the liberals have created the entitlement.

When one doesn’t have the life he feels entitled to, it breeds contempt and anger against the society he now feels that owes him. The quality of life or lack thereof is not the gunman’s fault and someone has to pay and they lash out in anger and frustration

Very good points Cat.

I would also add educators teaching all kids that the only path to success is college.....many go to college on debt for occupations that can't pay their debt....

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
Some things can’t be changed by the “best made plans of mice and men.”

Limiting gun sales isn’t going to do it, simply because there are too many guns out there already. Outlaw assault weapons, and albeit, maybe not as many will die, but it will be done by handguns. Those politicians that advocate new gun laws, if successful, in my opinion, won’t really accomplish much.

Education won’t do much, either. It takes a lot of years to indoctrinate.

This will only end when something cataclysmic occurs to the US where these poor sick bastards have someone or something to hate and blame for their own personal failures, rather than their fellow American.

BOOM

The Cat is on a roll.

Yes he is. He's a smart guy......just sometimes a bit unhinged Wink

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
The truth is there is a substantial faction of the right in the US who could never accept Obama's presidency as legitimate. Whether this was due to his race or unusual name is anyone's guess.

The right's hatred of Obama led them to follow their favorite bigot, Trump, with his phony claims about Obama's birth certificate. This was the true source of the big division in Americans.

Rightwingers latched on to any pretext for delegitimizing Obama, and the left-wingers resented the low blows on their candidate. You can't look at anything Obama did or said without also considering the nature of the attacks against him.

Obama was elected by a majority of Americans. The "divisiveness" comes from the fact that the disgruntled minority lost and could never come to grips with it.

You would like it to be that way but you only tell 1/3 of the story. And, I am not denying some truth in your words. But, in the end, it was his actions and words who set us into division. He could have actually been a great success. The ball was in his court multiple times. He NEVER missed an opportunity to say/act the exact wrong way for the country to unite behind him…including the whole birth certificate thing.

Exactly right Doc!

He could have been an incredible roll model for young black men, he could have been a prime example that anything is possible in this great country! A mixed race, black man could be elected President of the united states!

But instead he did everything possible to be racially divisive....it was a great opportunity missed.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I struggle to see how President Obama is to blame when as he was running folks were calling him not an American, an Arab, a Muslim (as if that is disqualifying), and on the Left not black.

https://www.politico.com/story...ab-crowd-boos-014479

https://thehill.com/homenews/m...ack-fascinating/amp/

Posts: 10987 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LHeym500:
If you think the Martin shooter acted intelligently and how ccw citizens should act, you are walking on dangerous ground.

It is not a horse race to tell you a firearm and a ccw is not to deescalate a situation. It is to meet the objective threat of death or serious physical injury.
The more you can do to avoid it. The more likely a) it won’t happen (that is a good thing) and b) the jury will find you acted w justification.

As for the cop in Floyd. I bet he wishes he just put him in the back of the cruiser. That was what should have happened.

Strange but the autopsy said he died from a heart attack. The official autopsy not the Crump bought and paid for version.[/QUOTE

Strange the jury found it was an intentional, unjustified killing, and the Judge let it go to the jury.

Posts: 10987 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sure you have more free time than I and are capable of using a search engine.

The only remark I remember (I can’t help that your memory is bad.)

You mean Obama's remarks were so insignificant that you can't remember them? It's not my memory that's the problem here.

Posts: 6169 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
President Obama took a side in those issues.

His taking a side was done before he had all of the information in hand.

No different than folks who take LE’s side whenever something comes up.

My biggest dissatisfaction with what he did was a fundamental unwillingness to admit he was wrong when he was. The beer summit at the WH was an example. The professor was misstating what happened. Instead of saying, I reacted and on further information, the police were right, he had this kumbya get together.

He took sides with Martin’s family on the Treyvon Martin case. Usually a president doesn’t get involved in a criminal event and call every victim’s family. He didn’t support calming the situation down and letting the system work, he made it more high profile, I suspect as a political calculus to help his political goals.

Ditto with the hands up don’t shoot riots.

He consistently took a side, and when things were not quite as advertised, didn’t admit being misled and try and calm the divisiveness.

Now, he was a good president by recent standards, but I wouldn’t go so far to say he’s great. He is a flawed leader who did some thing well, and others not so well. If he wasn’t the first black president, I don’t think he would be getting the plaudits he has been, but his election certainly reinforces that America is still a land of opportunity.

I think he could have done more… but he also did more than many want to grant him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cops were being shot in their cruisers, and he would make no comment on that either.
Obo himself admitted after he left office, he should have done more to unite people.
He said he took a track and stayed with it, thinking people would just follow. And that he should have reached out to all people.
Obo was not a great president. But, in my lifetime, I have not seen a great president. Some did have some great moments though.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Chauvin I’m not upset about.

I do think the rookies that were convicted were given more than they deserved, but Chauvin and the other trainer deserve prison time, in my opinion.

The trainees deserve what you suggested, IMO.

I will just leave it as I disagree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36669 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote