New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bud Lite goes woke...... Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lane may be wrong but he is never in doubt. Occasionally you would see this with expert witnesses at trial. They tenaciously defend a position that they are clearly losing ground on, doubling down as the position collapses and just like the ground eroding under a house at a sink hole, their credibility just erodes away and collapses due to their own stubbornness in defending their questionable opinion. It is sort of sad to see on a witness stand, sad to see here too . . . but I think most thinking people see it for what it is.

Mike

Posts: 21321 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think of what a pleasure it would be to cross-examine a horse doctor who thinks being a horse doctor qualifies him as an expert on human fetal development.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15212 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I suspect that any lawyer without an extensive medical background would find themselves quickly in deep water when questioning Dr. Easter on physiology, anatomy, and medicine in general. Veterinarians deal with far more complexity in their training and practice than physicians due to the obvious differences in their cliental.

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stubbleduck:
I suspect that any lawyer without an extensive medical background would find themselves quickly in deep water when questioning Dr. Easter on physiology, anatomy, and medicine in general. Veterinarians deal with far more complexity in their training and practice than physicians due to the obvious differences in their cliental.

I'm not sure of that, I did pretty well with it and I'm no lawyer.

animal

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

. . . spoken like someone who I highly doubt has ever hired an expert witness for a significant dispute.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And no State permits vets to treat humans.

Posts: 11096 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We allow Medics in the military and EMT's address humans on critical injuries.
The US Government permits that.
Just saying...But likely far more capable than legal council.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
We allow Medics in the military and EMT's address humans on critical injuries.
The US Government permits that.
Just saying...But likely far more capable than legal council.

The worst advice is one gets from a lawyer!

Like asking a mosquito with malaria to give you a kiss! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67171 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Just arrived to the party at 10 pages in. Latest posts completely off the rails of thread title. No surprise. We’re gonna lose it men. Any hunter and shooter who votes Democrat spells doom for the sport. It’s all over but the crying.

Posts: 3457 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some on both sides are overstating things.

Dr. Easter is more correct re there undoubtedly being some responses with a human embryo. The neural tube closes in humans in the 4th week. You have specialized neural tissue in humans that early. Once you have neural tissue, I expect some reaction to outside stimulus. Is it conscious? We have no evidence of that, and I expect the horses moving is more an unconscious response to a stimulus than anything else as well.

If you are stating that a fetus wiggling away from a noxious stimulus isn’t “struggling” on a semantic basis, that’s fine.

Consciousness isn’t a definition of life.

Is there some sort of brain function once you have the differentiated neural tissue? Yes. Is it organized? We don’t know. Certainly it’s not comparable to a conscious adult brain pattern, but then neither is a newborn’s.

The definition of human life is very difficult to make.

Posts: 10714 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
quote:

I'm not sure of that, I did pretty well with it and I'm no lawyer.

animal

You've convinced no one other than yourself. I'm not being mean or trying to argue with you, especially on this evolved topic, but I think that the truth, you've won or are winning nothing.

You and the lawyers are fighting for internet medicine supremacy. Confused

Posts: 9178 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
And no State permits vets to treat humans.

I takes an imagination as wild as yours to believe our vet friend considers himself the final and legal authority on human medicine.

Seems equally stupid to not consider a veterinarians thoughts on human biological topics as well as to take a veterinarians words on the same as final authority.

As Saeed said, even stupider would be attorneys advise.

Posts: 9178 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

Dr. Easter is more correct re there undoubtedly being some responses with a human embryo. The neural tube closes in humans in the 4th week. You have specialized neural tissue in humans that early. Once you have neural tissue, I expect some reaction to outside stimulus. Is it conscious? We have no evidence of that, and I expect the horses moving is more an unconscious response to a stimulus than anything else as well.

If you are stating that a fetus wiggling away from a noxious stimulus isn’t “struggling” on a semantic basis, that’s fine.

Is there some sort of brain function once you have the differentiated neural tissue? Yes. Is it organized? We don’t know. Certainly it’s not comparable to a conscious adult brain pattern, but then neither is a newborn’s.

I fair and reasoned post. I do associate "struggle for life" with much more than a reflexive action. To me, wording like that indicates a level of consciousness. You state we have no evidence of that and that you expect the horse moving is more of an unconscious response, I would agree.

It may come down to wording but to me, Lane is making the argument that the science supports conscious reaction to outside stimulus as early as 60 days. If any science supports that notion I am open to reading it and learning more.

Maybe I am misinterpreting Lane's position and he is indeed referring reflexive response. I do not see that as struggling but it could indeed be open to interpretation.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Everybody is an expert on everything. I guess cross-examination is your area of expertise? Roll Eyes

I wonder how lawyers who prosecute complex medical malpractice cases get along without being doctors? Confused

Hmmm....preparation?

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15212 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The brain stem is the most primitive part of the brain. Doesn't it control autonomic functions like breathing and heartbeat? The instinct to avoid danger seems like a primitive response.

Posts: 6219 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

Everybody is an expert on everything. I guess cross-examination is your area of expertise? Roll Eyes

I wonder how lawyers who prosecute complex medical malpractice cases get along without being doctors? Confused

Hmmm....preparation?

I presume you use experts and expert witnesses... that you are paying.

Having testified in the past, it wasn't really all that adversarial (and it wasn't malpractice) ... everyone was trying to get the best answer for the person involved.

Both the plaintiff and the defense counsels.

When the system works well, it is a good thing.

Posts: 10714 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawyers train and study techniques for dealing with experts. One general rule is don't challenge an expert directly on his area of expertise. The only time I ever did so was when an expert engineer completely changed his story about the cause of a building settlement after a lunch break. I had fun with him, but he was not a happy camper when he left the witness chair.

Posts: 6219 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
And yet somehow, you still remain wrong Big Grin

Go back and read Dr. Butler's statement on reflexive motion at 17-18 weeks. This hardly supports your assertion.

I have read up on the subject of fetal development on the net, and my reading comprehension remains very strong.

You are bullshitting us Lane and that is quite clear.

homer

One thing that is clear…”you” don’t have to the knowledge base to make the determination. Wink

A reflexive action requires an intact nervous system to the spinal level minimally. An instinctive reflex to evade (as Roland presented) grasp…requires minimally brain-stem function — fact.

I seem to have enough knowledge base to understand the difference between the horseshit you have been selling and the facts of fetal development.

Your claim that a 60 day human fetus struggles for survival is total

bsflag

A bit of math shows 17 weeks is 119 days, this is where Dr. Butler says you see reflexive action. That is much farther along than 60 days. Reflexive action is not struggling to survive either.

Struggling definition from Merriam Webster:
: to make strenuous or violent efforts in the face of difficulties or opposition
struggling with the problem
: to proceed with difficulty or with great effort
struggled through the high grass
struggling to make a living

No 60 day fetus struggles for anything Lane. You know that and so do I.

One thing we have established is that you know or understand very little as it pertains to this topic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36770 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
The brain stem is the most primitive part of the brain. Doesn't it control autonomic functions like breathing and heartbeat? The instinct to avoid danger seems like a primitive response.

Don’t disagree with that.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36770 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

When you grasp a 60 day or greater equine fetus that is under no pharmaceutical influence…it is equivalent to reaching into a live well and grasping a shiner. That is how much the try to evade.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

. . . spoken like someone who I highly doubt has ever hired an expert witness for a significant dispute.

I consult as an expert for every equine malpractice insurance company in existence and am constantly sought as a plaintiff expert but rarely accept…only exceptionally wrong malpractice cases that are bad for the equine industry and profession.

I have never been an expert for a lost case.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There’s a big difference between consulting expert witnesses and testifying expert witnesses. Hence the reason why the rules of evidence distinguish between what is discoverable from both.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
There’s a big difference between consulting expert witnesses and testifying expert witnesses. Hence the reason why the rules of evidence distinguish between what is discoverable from both.

I testify frequently. But most cases I consult on end up settling.

I am deposed in 70% of the cases I consult on.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were deposed, you must have been identified as a witness. Not a consulting expert.

About how many depositions have you given? Ever change or modify an opinion based on a depo you gave? I.e., did you ever change your mind because of something you learned in a depo?

I took hundreds of depos, and was deposed once myself. I guess I'd rather be the one asking questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the rules of Civi Pro in all states consulting experts are exempt from testifying.

You do not even have to disclose them here.

Posts: 11096 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Define expert.
Education? If so how much
Experience? If so how much

Is there a "Diploma" for the expert designation?
I place experience far ahead of diplomas but there is no definition. Simply hearsay.
All relative.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you were deposed, you must have been identified as a witness. Not a consulting expert.

About how many depositions have you given? Ever change or modify an opinion based on a depo you gave? I.e., did you ever change your mind because of something you learned in a depo?

I took hundreds of depos, and was deposed once myself. I guess I'd rather be the one asking questions.

Roland,
I have been through so many depositions as an expert over the last 2 decades…I would not even hazard a guess. These cases tend to drag on forever.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Go back and read Dr. Butler's statement on reflexive motion at 17-18 weeks. This hardly supports your assertion.

I have read up on the subject of fetal development on the net, and my reading comprehension remains very strong.

homer

One thing that is clear…”you” don’t have to the knowledge base to make the determination. Wink

A reflexive action requires an intact nervous system to the spinal level minimally. An instinctive reflex to evade (as Roland presented) grasp…requires minimally brain-stem function — fact.

I seem to have enough knowledge base to understand the difference between the horseshit you have been selling and the facts of fetal development.

bsflag

A bit of math shows 17 weeks is 119 days, this is where Dr. Butler says you see reflexive action. That is much farther along than 60 days. Reflexive action is not struggling to survive either.

: to make strenuous or violent efforts in the face of difficulties or opposition

One thing we have established is that you know or understand very little as it pertains to this topic.

We have also established that you have greatly over stated your case. There has been no evidence that I have read in this thread or anywhere else that supports a 60 day fetus struggling for anything. A reflexive reaction at that stage....maybe but we have no evidence of a conscious struggle for life.

You are still full of shit Lane.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Define expert.
Education? If so how much
Experience? If so how much

Is there a "Diploma" for the expert designation?
I place experience far ahead of diplomas but there is no definition. Simply hearsay.
All relative.

In Alaska, an expert can be anyone who has more than lay knowledge about a subject relevant to the case. An auto mechanic, a waitress, a babysitter can all be experts--that is they can when they testify offer their opinions on an issue.

The judge rules on whether the person qualifies as an expert. How much weight to give an expert's opinion is up to the jury. An expert's education, training, and experience all affect both the qualification and the weight the jury will give to the opinions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Roland,
I have been through so many depositions as an expert over the last 2 decades…I would not even hazard a guess. These cases tend to drag on forever.

I'm surprised you have time to do anything else.

I had no idea there is so much equine litigation. I guess I missed a lucrative area of practice.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

homer

bsflag

We have also established that you have greatly over stated your case. There has been no evidence that I have read in this thread or anywhere else that supports a 60 day fetus struggling for anything. A reflexive reaction at that stage....maybe but we have no evidence of a conscious struggle for life.

I know this will be above you pay-grade but I will pose it for all.

Is the “flight reflex” not the very basic struggle for life?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

homer

bsflag

I know this will be above you pay-grade but I will pose it for all.

Is the “flight reflex” not the very basic struggle for life?

no, it is simply a reflex.

Ever cut the head off a snake as a kid? You get the same reflexive reaction an hour after the snake is dead.

Reflexive reaction is not a conscious movement, and you know that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but an earthworm has an instinct to flee from danger too.

I don't think a flight instinct says anything about whether a fetus is a person.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Roland,

I'm surprised you have time to do anything else.

I had no idea there is so much equine litigation. I guess I missed a lucrative area of practice.

Roland,
When you work and study daily on the cutting edge of what you testify on…it really takes zero preparation. The biggest preparation is the mental game to not get trapped/goaded by a lawyer.

The depos themselves kill a day. Reading the depo in print for misspoken statements kills an afternoon. Really not that time consuming. My rule…stick with what you are truly an expert on.

The horses I work on are expensive but the bigger driving factor in suits is that they are usually owned by rich people with big egos.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, but an earthworm has an instinct to flee from danger too.

I don't think a flight instinct says anything about whether a fetus is a person.

We are not trying to establish if it is a person. We know it is a person…it’s DNA tells us that.

Flight reflex demonstrates neural function to sustain life.

To your earthworm analogy:

Put a 1 yr old in trench with a hardened soldier. Which one is going to have the best cognizant ability to survive??? The soldier is the obvious answer…but is the toddler any less of a person for not being as mentally developed?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dna tells you it is a human fetus, a fetus is not a person.

They are not the same and every trained medical professional knows the difference.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dna tells you it is a human fetus, a fetus is not a person.

They are not the same and every trained medical professional knows the difference.

This last statement ^^^ deserves the BS flag. bsflag

I have way more education and medical training (veterinary medical for those who like to point that out) than the average General Practitioner — by a longshot.

I don’t believe what you just said…in fact everything I know scientifically tells me it is NOT true.

What makes it vehemently untrue is your use of the word every. I personally know many MDs that don’t believe what you wrote and there are 100’s of 1000’s in existence. I am not even sure if you polled MDs that you would get a majority — speculative on my part.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsflag

A fetus is not a person. You know it and I know it.

fetus: an offspring of a human or other mammal in the stages of prenatal development that follow the embryo stage (in humans taken as beginning eight weeks after conception)
"adequate folic acid is important for the developing fetus"

People(a person) are not in a prenatal stage of development.

Why must you play these ridiculous word games?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
bsflag

A fetus is not a person. You know it and I know it.

fetus: an offspring of a human or other mammal in the stages of prenatal development that follow the embryo stage (in humans taken as beginning eight weeks after conception)
"adequate folic acid is important for the developing fetus"

People(a person) are not in a prenatal stage of development.

Why must you play these ridiculous word games?

Quit putting words in my Steve. I know no such thing.

I know it makes it ‘convenient’ for you and others here to keep that thought. It makes it easy to justify the killing. As Dr. Butler has correctly pointed out…it is definitely killing.

Science tells me it is a human being — the most innocent human being in existence.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
PS: I am not trying to convince you. Your mind closed.

I continue the discussion for the others with good civil questions.

J. Lane Easter, DVM