posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:
The two things are different.

So
When the transferee has absolutely no say in the matter-
being "sold" (indentured) by your family or feudal lord or overlord
rather than being captured by another "tribe" or entity?

The result IS somehow remarkably different to you?

Truly a convoluted situational "ethics" manner of "thinking"--
then again, we should expect such from a barrister.

I swear, your posts are like haiku gibberish.

"Indentured servants were men and women who signed a contract (also known as an indenture or a covenant) by which they agreed to work for a certain number of years in exchange for transportation to Virginia and, once they arrived, food, clothing, and shelter."

Remind me again about the contract or agreement that the slaves signed? Or, how they agreed to be slaves in return for transportation to colonial America? And the agreement about how long they'd have to be slaves? And, whether or not the slaves" children belonged to the slave owner? And whether or not the wives of the indentured servants were subject to being raped by the folks the indentured servant was working for? And, most importantly, at what point would the slaves be freed?

Need more info about the difference between the two things? Think harder about it and maybe you can figure it out on your own. Seems doubtful in light of your post but try.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15109 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
When "INDENTURED" by and elder or superior as ACTUALLY occurred quite often-
HOW is this not slavery?

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Comparing your family history to slavery is nonsensical.

Herein lies the question.

For once, Mike, I think I agree with you.
Problem is, the same can be said of millions of Americans of African descent.
How can tens of millions of black Americans today claim ancestry of slaves? Could that even be provable?
Would recent black or latino immigrants be on the hook to pay part because they have arrived and usurped opportunities that would have otherwise been available to resident blacks?
What about the millions of American descendants of the 360,000 white Union men who died in the Civil War?
What are they owed?
The challenges go on and on...
I do understand, however, how a man with a family history such as Lane is inherently tired of the chatter. Victimhood appropriation is apparently currency to the Left now.

I also agree that people should stop talking about reparations and I also sincerely hope that the entire movement peters out.
The problem is that it never will with so many people such as Cori Bush and other legislators, the many organizations and celebrities voicing and working for the support of reparations.
It's going to come to a head eventually and is a potential disaster no matter how the coin flip falls.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:
quote:

So

"Indentured servants were men and women who signed a contract (also known as an indenture or a covenant) by which they agreed to work for a certain number of years in exchange for transportation to Virginia and, once they arrived, food, clothing, and shelter."

Remind me again about the contract or agreement that the slaves signed? Or, how they agreed to be slaves in return for transportation to colonial America? And the agreement about how long they'd have to be slaves? And, whether or not the slaves" children belonged to the slave owner? And whether or not the wives of the indentured servants were subject to being raped by the folks the indentured servant was working for? And, most importantly, at what point would the slaves be freed?

Need more info about the difference between the two things? Think harder about it and maybe you can figure it out on your own. Seems doubtful in light of your post but try.

Yet, many Irish and Scots-Irish arrived in the New World with no signed contract. They were bought and sold as property. The numbers of servants not under contract but indentured for indefinite periods is not well documented (the lack of contracts might account for this!) The English cried out against enslaving Africans but had no qualms when it came to enslaving Irish and Scots-Irish.
Of course, residents of the Emerald Isle had a long history of enslavement by others, and many were forcibly removed and spent their lives in foreign lands. Maybe we need some reparations. I could use a new boat! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3533 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Most people that would receive any reparations, being any “color” would be broke in couple of years and all this money pumped into economy that fast would create another round of inflation
But reparation supporters will scream out loud enough and they will eventually get some from politicians

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How come no one is talking about the ethnic cleansing of the Indians??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
For the record…my ancestors who brought the Easter name to the USA…came the same way — as indentured servants…forced to ride and work in the hull of a ship…whipped regularly.

They (4 brothers) escaped once in the USA and hid in the West.

Fur the record, indentured servants were not by law Chattel.

Indentured Servants were not bred and their children sold on farms once the Cross Atlantic Slave Trade.

Those who signed a contract of indenture were to work for 7 years in return for their passage to the new world or because they were in debt. During this time they are housed and fed and at the end of the 7 years they (should) be given either land or capital by the beneficiary of their labor. Lots of English also did this, not just the Irish or Scots. At the end of their contract they were free, so totally different from slavery.

People were also "transported" against their will, generally criminals, political prisoners (in the case of the Irish) but this was a judicial punishment.

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Because the job was done so well.

I don't feel a bit sorry for any of them for any of their historical oppression.

As I've said many times I do strongly believe in assistance, hand outs, hand ups, and outright charity on every level for my neighbor and fellow Americans on every level but that has nothing to do with their history.

If an "Indian" as you say needs a house, a sandwich, a toothbrush, tank of gas, water, whatever, I'm a hell of a lot happier to provide them rather than an Afghan/ apprentice Taliban. Why not force, (and I mean force,) a Pine Ridge Sioux Indian out of poverty rather than some alien half a world away?

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
You are lost.

The people w common sense understand that indentured servitude is not the same footing as being a Chattel Slave.

You know who else was beaten labor before Progressives, whose champion was President Theodore Roosevelt, started to put an end to it through government.

You did not refute my basic example as to why the institution la are not the same. This is because you can’t do it.

Also, you know how indentured servitude was different than chattel slavery? One ended. The other you weee born in it and died in it. One being freed at the Grace of from Chattel Slavery did not allow one citizenship.

Hi, and let us not forget we ended Indentured Servitude wo a region fighting to preserve it.

Indentured Servitude was not dependent upon race or culture. There were Scottish, Irish, and English indentured.

Indentured Serenity were permitted to obtain property independently which was the qualification to exercise voting rights upon end of the term. Chattel sleeves could not.

I will not allow you to come here and lie.

Your cause was lost in 1864; really 1862. I am glad it was.

Go support another insurrection.

Gay people are not abominations. You are.

Your secondary cause to permit the mistreatment and differential treatment of those different than you, and limit their political influence is on going.

I am not lost Joshua. I am square with all…including my maker. I advance my community and my profession.

You however ARE lost and hopefully one day you will open your mind and see with wisdom.

And when you get ready to really call me a liar…save it for sometime when you can say it to my face…like a real man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

One atrocity at a time Saeed. Damn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So

Yet, many Irish and Scots-Irish arrived in the New World with no signed contract. They were bought and sold as property. The numbers of servants not under contract but indentured for indefinite periods is not well documented (the lack of contracts might account for this!) The English cried out against enslaving Africans but had no qualms when it came to enslaving Irish and Scots-Irish.
Of course, residents of the Emerald Isle had a long history of enslavement by others, and many were forcibly removed and spent their lives in foreign lands. Maybe we need some reparations. I could use a new boat! Regards, Bill

If the Scots-Irish are getting reparations money, I want to know where to file my claim.

Again, there's no comparison between indentured servitude and the enslavement of African-Americans. That's not any sort of an endorsement of the treatment that our potato-eating ancestors endured, it was shit. But, it's not analagous to enslavement as practiced in colonial America.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Wow! All I have got to say is that some people are actually nuttier than I ever deemed possible.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! All I have got to say is that some people are actually nuttier than I ever deemed possible.

Wow! All I have to say is that you're on record as saying you're going to vote for trump.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's no real comparison between indentured servitude and chattel slavery, but neither one is something any of us would endure. Both have been outlawed for a reason.

Posts: 6134 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Wow! All I have to say is that you're on record as saying you're going to vote for trump.

Over any Democrat 100%.

Only a total moron could support a Democrat in the Whitehouse. But hey…I love America as she has been my whole life.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
There's no real comparison between indentured servitude and chattel slavery, but neither one is something any of us would endure. Both have been outlawed for a reason.

You say that there is no comparison, and then in the same sentence you provide two comparisons??? This swamp sure seems to rob some of their logic…

Lane’s point is that, in the grand scheme of things, humans of all stripes have gone through horrible conditions throughout history. Was slavery worse than servitude? Was the Nazi genocide worse than the Rwandan genocide? Stalin’s genocide? Khan’s? The Vikings’? The Cossacks?

Generational trauma is real, but what are the limits?

Do we see any other group going around playing the victim over something that has been gone for 150 years?

African Americans, along with Native Americans, have a solid claim to the fact that they have not been given equal access to the American dream. I would hold up schools as our most glaring example. I would be happy to see this fixed so that future generations can be brought into the fold instead of continuing to live on the margins.

But cash for victims of slavery??

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

Instead of being grateful that she lives in America, she is demanding to be paid to live there!

This is a question that I have tried to look at from different perspectives: is American citizenship reparations enough?

The transatlantic slave trade was horrific. I wonder how many African Americans would erase the transatlantic slave trade from history, knowing that doing so would mean that their family line never left Africa?

Who is in a more enviable position: the American whose ancestors who were brought here as slaves, or the African whose ancestors were not trafficked to the Americans?

Do you have any idea how offensive this argument is to African-Americans? You're telling them that they should be grateful that their ancestors were enslaved. Ripped away from their loved ones, put in the holds of stinking ships for weeks on end. Sold like chattel at market upon arrival. Forced to work like dogs for no wages. Raped by their owners.

It's not a position that ought to be advocated.

quote:
That said, taking the position that reparations shouldn't be paid because African-Americans should be grateful that they were enslaved because they now get to live in America is offensive. The fact that some atrocity eventually resulted in some positive event, condition or occurrence doesn't excuse or validate the atrocity.

Ah yes, the “toxic truth” the bane of liberals everywhere…

If you reread what I wrote, you will see that I was asking a question, not making an argument. I never said that anyone should be grateful that their ancestors were enslaved.

And the question still stands, so I will ask you Mike
Mitchel: If you had to guess, what percentage of African Americans would elect to erase slavery from the history of the US, knowing that it would likely mean that their family line would still be in Africa today?

Obviously this is hypothetical, as slavery can’t be erased. And it should also be obvious that none of this makes the institution of slavery any less horrific for the people who were enslaved.

Toxic though it is, the fact remains that to some extent, the descendants of American slaves benefited from slavery. And keep in mind that, for those who were “lucky” enough to be spared by the slave trade and left in Africa, the past couple of hundred years hasn’t been a walk in the part. Iconically, during that period many Africans were enslaved in Africa. Some are still enslaved to this day.

Odd how the reparations crew never mentions the Africans who are still enslaved today…

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
This whole concept of “offensive” with regards to facts and historical data is what gets me.

Here we have Mike Mitchell, a lawyer who should be used to dealing with facts in a non emotional way, making the case we should not speak of historical data (kind like it was Voldemort in Harry Potter) because it is “offensive.” Yet he can rarely even post without using a 4-letter word…most commonly the f-bomb. Mike, imho, is one of the more offensive posters here. He has just become accustomed to the lawyer tactic that often times the loudest most obnoxious lawyer in the room…wins.

To me, the argument of slavery serving as a vehicle is logical and factual. Just like the fact that my ancestors suffered under indentureship and 2 were legally executed by LEO for crime not committed. I don’t hate LEO now and I am still a proponent of capital punishment in the correct scenario.

When the world becomes (may be here now) a place where logic cannot be used because it is offensive… 2020

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So

If the Scots-Irish are getting reparations money, I want to know where to file my claim.

Again, there's no comparison between indentured servitude and the enslavement of African-Americans. That's not any sort of an endorsement of the treatment that our potato-eating ancestors endured, it was shit. But, it's not analagous to enslavement as practiced in colonial America.

You were not paying attention. The people were bought and sold as property. They were forced into servitude in places not of their choosing. If they didn't submit, they were beaten or even killed. They were not indentured in the usual sense. Their were no contracts; there was no choice. The only differences between their situation and those of the slaves from Africa were the color of their skin and the nationality of those who sold them into slavery in the first place. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3533 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You say that there is no comparison, and then in the same sentence you provide two comparisons??? This swamp sure seems to rob some of their logic…

Lane’s point is that, in the grand scheme of things, humans of all stripes have gone through horrible conditions throughout history. Was slavery worse than servitude? Was the Nazi genocide worse than the Rwandan genocide? Stalin’s genocide? Khan’s? The Vikings’? The Cossacks?

Generational trauma is real, but what are the limits?

Do we see any other group going around playing the victim over something that has been gone for 150 years?

African Americans, along with Native Americans, have a solid claim to the fact that they have not been given equal access to the American dream. I would hold up schools as our most glaring example. I would be happy to see this fixed so that future generations can be brought into the fold instead of continuing to live on the margins.

But cash for victims of slavery??

The blacks in Wichita Falls had a better school than we did and then they were forced to integrate and be bussed across town. I remember the girls crying and the older black males starting fights over it. That's when the black neighborhoods and families started to disintegrate.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

That said, taking the position that reparations shouldn't be paid because African-Americans should be grateful that they were enslaved because they now get to live in America is offensive. The fact that some atrocity eventually resulted in some positive event, condition or occurrence doesn't excuse or validate the atrocity.

It is your opinion that it is offensive, but how can you be so sure that you aren’t just being overly sensitive?

Could it be possible that something is both offensive, and also true? Do reparations excuse or invalidate the atrocities of slavery? Could anything?

“The descendants of the American slave trade have reason to be grateful”

A lot of black people would agree with me.

Many black people would disagree with me.

A lot find it offensive that you see them as victims.

Others would be angry if you questioned their victim hood.

A lot of them voted for Trump.

Many voted for Biden.

A lot of them would be offended thy you are trying to silence the truth.

A lot of them would call you a racist if you didn’t hide the truth.

A lot of them are more patriotic than either you or I.

Some hate America.

With such diverse opinions how can we know who not to offend?? I am guessing that you would say that we should focus on not offending those who scream “that offensive!” the loudest. My problem with that it that then those who claim victim hood will be the ones who get to control what information is allowed to enter the conversation.

And remember, the victims and you don’t care about whether something is true, if it’s offensive it is banned. But what if I disagree that it is offensive? What if I care about the truth more than your feelings?

Mohammad Ali said that he “was glad that his grandfather got on that boat.” Who are you to disagree with Mohammad Ali?

Who are you to tell anyone what is or is not “offensive”.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
There are "norms", customary practices that are assumed for good reason. Regardless what any of us white men think, it's a bit presumptuous to go telling others what to "...........".

I don't care who says it how and when, I feel happy to avoid the N word. I don't need it, it doesn't help me, the loss of the N word doesn't cloud my day.

Why feel obliged or inclined to tell someone of a different ethnicity "they should be glad their grandaddy,......"? Maybe it is true, maybe you are right, buy you and we ain't in their shoes.

In the end, we're talking about 12-14% of the population of America. What is this overwhelming concern?

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
The concern Scott, is that SJWs like Mike Mitchel and Roland think that they can eliminate topics from conversation by simply by proclaiming them to be offensive or racist, and therefore out of bounds. They think that the only narrative that is allowed is black=victim.

I am not trying to dictate what anyone feels. My point was that some AA people would agree with the statement/question, others would disagree. Mohammad Ali agreed.

Both Mike and Roland refused to even admit that a black person might agree. They believed the question was too offensive to even be considered. Mike said that it was “not a position to be advocated”. Who the hell is he to decide that?

So why the overriding concern? Well Renee is talking about heading off to Yale in 4 years. By all indications she will have the grades and such.

And here’s the thing: the country is going sideways. Extremists on both sides are fanning the flames and tensions are rising. When one side controls the narrative, while fanning the flames, it seems clear that tensions will continue to rise. How long until things boil over? None of us really wants to consider the ramifications of a second Trump term.

MLK’s dream seems to have died. Lines of division have been drawn. The SJW’s are continuing to tell young people of color that they are disenfranchised, that nothing good has come into their lives due to being American, that America hates them, that they have no chance.

So, as France(seriously, France?!) smolders, I am left to ponder how this will affect Renee. Will white nationalists and Antifa be carrying out mass shootings against each other? As Roland pointed out, Renee isn’t actually black or white since I raised her “white”, so will she be a target for both sides?

Meanwhile, Mike and Roland run the victim narrative. They play dumb(?) and ignore the possibility that maybe, just maybe, being black on America is better than being black just about anywhere else. And that is what these kids are being told: the system hates you, it was designed to oppress you, you have been wronged, anyone who doesn’t agree with you is a racist, you are owed reparations, etc. What happens when CA hands out reparations and other states are too slow to follow?

I’m worried. This isn’t building towards a peaceful end.

And racist fools scream “I’m offended!” anytime their “woe is me” narrative is questioned, thereby bringing more young people into the disaffect fold.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your screeds are getting repetitive. Stating something over and over doesn't make it true. Especially when it's just a creation of your own. Intentionally misstating my arguments is not good faith debate.

You and Lane have one thing in common at least. You both think that your declaring something to be so, makes it so.

No one here is trying to censor you. My mother taught me, and showed me by example, that we shouldn't say things that are intentionally or carelessly disrespectful or hurtful to someone. As a matter of good manners, if nothing else. Did your mother raise you differently?

Because it sure looks like that with the position you're taking. You should be free to say whatever thoughts creep into your head, even if they're racist or racially insensitive. But no one can call you a racist or suggest you pick your words more carefully without violating your own rules of decorum and delicate sensibilities.

Convenient, comfortable world you must inhabit.

I know courtesy is beyond you, but please show me the respect of not inventing what I think, which is simply a projection of dragons in your own mind that you want to slay.

To play your game: You think your right to say whatever floats into your head should excuse you from treating other people respectfully. How do you get on in life, with normal social interactions?

Posts: 6134 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I never meant to misrepresent your position. Maybe I misunderstood and that is why you can off so poor in my eyes?

It would certainly offend some to say that the horrors of slavery did have long term benefits for our country and for the descendants of the slaves. If there is one group that has had an outsized influence on the development of culture and art in this country it would be African Americans by a wide margin. Jazz, blues, rock, regional cuisines, dance, not to mention individual contributions to various fields. None of that would have happened without the trans Atlantic slave trade. Not to mention the 40 million Americans that many of us call family.

To ignore all of that to save a few misguided people from being offended seems silly.

Pointing out those contributions is one thing that we strive to do in school because we want our students to understand that “this land is (all of) our land”.

The disaffected youth are the ones who have been led to believe that those contributions aren’t valued and that this system is set up disenfranchise people of color.

If you really can’t see that silver lining, then I hope you will someday.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The concern Scott, is that SJWs like Mike Mitchel and Roland think that they can eliminate topics from conversation by simply by proclaiming them to be offensive or racist, and therefore out of bounds. They think that the only narrative that is allowed is black=victim.

I am not trying to dictate what anyone feels. My point was that some AA people would agree with the statement/question, others would disagree. Mohammad Ali agreed.

Both Mike and Roland refused to even admit that a black person might agree. They believed the question was too offensive to even be considered. Mike said that it was “not a position to be advocated”. Who the hell is he to decide that?

So why the overriding concern? Well Renee is talking about heading off to Yale in 4 years. By all indications she will have the grades and such.

And here’s the thing: the country is going sideways. Extremists on both sides are fanning the flames and tensions are rising. When one side controls the narrative, while fanning the flames, it seems clear that tensions will continue to rise. How long until things boil over? None of us really wants to consider the ramifications of a second Trump term.

MLK’s dream seems to have died. Lines of division have been drawn. The SJW’s are continuing to tell young people of color that they are disenfranchised, that nothing good has come into their lives due to being American, that America hates them, that they have no chance.

So, as France(seriously, France?!) smolders, I am left to ponder how this will affect Renee. Will white nationalists and Antifa be carrying out mass shootings against each other? As Roland pointed out, Renee isn’t actually black or white since I raised her “white”, so will she be a target for both sides?

Meanwhile, Mike and Roland run the victim narrative. They play dumb(?) and ignore the possibility that maybe, just maybe, being black on America is better than being black just about anywhere else. And that is what these kids are being told: the system hates you, it was designed to oppress you, you have been wronged, anyone who doesn’t agree with you is a racist, you are owed reparations, etc. What happens when CA hands out reparations and other states are too slow to follow?

I’m worried. This isn’t building towards a peaceful end.

100% founded! I have never seen the country so racially divided. I started elementary school in Texas in 1970. The school I attended was 30% black, 30% hispanic, and 40% white…a cotton farming community outside Lubbock, TX. No problems at all.

Today…there is racial division which teters on the brink of violence everywhere…so sad.

And racist fools scream “I’m offended!” anytime their “woe is me” narrative is questioned, thereby bringing more young people into the disaffect fold.

All due to politicians who run around telling folks that they are victims and then capitalizing on it.

Only racists run around calling people racists.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
A wrong like slavery has effects that echo down through the generations, the same as physical, sexual, and emotional abuse tends to run in families. Older black people still remember blatant discrimination. Not everyone can rise above such treatment in a few generations.

Slavers used to split up black families for more efficient breeding. Thereby depriving boys of father role models.

What kind of work ethic would you expect a slave to develop?

What kind of respect for property rights?

Telling the descendants of slaves to move on is very easy for a white man to say. Especially when his own ancestors may have been slavers and he wants to make excuses for them.

This post bugged me for days. I finally decided that I must have dreamt it up, as I honestly couldn’t believe that you would post something like this.

Feel free to tell me if I am twisting your words:

You seem to be attributing deficiencies in both work ethic and property rights in the descendants of slave in modern day, to their ancestors experience as slaves.

Those are judgements, racially insensitive judgements. Unless I am misunderstanding, you are saying/implying that these deficiencies are so pervasive among African Americans that they are holding the race back.

Or in its simplest form, you said: the reason that AA are lazy thieves is because of slavery. So of course they struggle.

I hope that I am just so damned stupid that I have completely misconstrued your meaning. If I have then I am truly sorry for doing so. I can’t see how anyone could profess sensitivity as you have, while at the same time openly displaying your own prejudices against African Americans.

But if I am correct in my assessment, then you are the absolute epitome of the racist white liberal who cloaks his racist ideology behind a facade of care and concern. Malcolm X had a name for such people, but it escapes me. He warned African Americans to be wary of such:
quote:
“The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have.

I hope that I’m wrong, hell, I absolutely must be wrong. There is no possible way that you are so stupid/blind/whatever that you think that you can say that an obvious truth, slavery had positive as well as negative consequences, is racist and offensive, and that the garbage you wrote above is not also deeply racist and offensive.

Was Lane correct, are those who cry “racist” actually the most racist of all?

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only racists run around calling people racists.

I am beginning to see that your original quote was correct: “those who go around calling others “racist” are the most racist of all.”

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
If any group was taken advantage of,lied to and cheated it was them. Sadly, if you visit a reservation, the standard of living generally is pretty low, lots of unemployment and crime, drugs and alcoholism all around. One positive thing some areas have done is the gambling casinos. This brings money into the community and the Indians get to make money and devistate the white man with gambling addiction and the problems it causes.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is there something wrong with the schools or the reluctance, by students of color in particular, to adapt to the requirements that are part and parcel of the learning process?

Posts: 1907 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
If any group was taken advantage of,lied to and cheated it was them. Sadly, if you visit a reservation, the standard of living generally is pretty low, lots of unemployment and crime, drugs and alcoholism all around. One positive thing some areas have done is the gambling casinos. This brings money into the community and the Indians get to make money and devistate the white man with gambling addiction and the problems it causes.

Like you, I'm all for Indian gaming. I don't gamble myself, but if the white man wants to sit in there emptying his pockets in the red mans coffers I too think that's funny.

I haven't seen the Indian gaming to be that profitable for them. True, I don't have much experience there, but the last time I was in an Indian casino the cliente was almost entirely Indian and it was apparent to me the members were in there feeding their earnings right back into the slot machines in a vicious cycle. I am white, very very white and I got nothing but hate from everyone in the place, I didn't stay.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

Is there something wrong with the schools or the reluctance, by students of color in particular, to adapt to the requirements that are part and parcel of the learning process?

There's nothing that stops any American from getting a reasonable education, securing reasonable employment and having a pleasant life. Were I to advise an Indian I'd tell them to move as far off the reservation as possible. Most of the 50 states have decent opportunities to be had. California and Hawaii are to expensive, but even here in Dillingham there's careers in administration, education, law enforcement, medicine, and all trades. A breathing, standing person need only show up, actually be present to be hired.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
quote:

There's nothing that stops any American from getting a reasonable education, securing reasonable employment and having a pleasant life. Were I to advise an Indian I'd tell them to move as far off the reservation as possible. Most of the 50 states have decent opportunities to be had. California and Hawaii are to expensive, but even here in Dillingham there's careers in administration, education, law enforcement, medicine, and all trades. A breathing, standing person need only show up, actually be present to be hired.

100% the True Story ^^^

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
For many of us, many of us here "home is where the heart is" so we stay nearby family, familiarity, mom and pop.
Yeah, those emotional attachments can turn us upsidedown in a moment.

I'm afraid, "just move!" ain't that easy.

If you ever spend much time on a reservation you will see that while many natives are not rich in a monetary sense, they often have a different type of wealth. Family, history, culture, communal lands, hunting and gathering rights.

I'm afraid, "just move!" ain't that easy.

Indeed!

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Dillingham is about 60% native I think and the surrounding villages and region is100% native. I know it.

We just graduated a gal from University of Virginia and have a boy heading into his third year at MIT.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This explains part of the reason that schools themselves are different across our country:

quote:
Our current system for funding public schools shortchanges students, particularly low-income students. Education funding generally is inadequate and inequitable; It relies too heavily on state and local resources (particularly property tax revenues); the federal government plays a small and an insufficient role; funding levels vary widely across states; and high-poverty districts get less funding per student than low-poverty districts.

Source: https://www.epi.org/publicatio...dent%20than%20low%2D

And to answer your question reluctance from the students themselves. That is also a huge part of the problem, but it is tied more to socioeconomic status than race. Poor Americans often do not value education highly. Middle and upper income families tend to see school as an opportunity for advancement in life and tend to send their children to school prepared to succeed. These are generalizations.

The underfunded schools tend have both more students per class and a higher percentage of unruly and unmotivated students, along with, and often exacerbated by inexperienced and generally poor teachers (who else would want to teach in those schools, especially when you factor in that they pay less and tend to be in rough areas.

I don’t believe that a serviceable education is available to all students. As a teacher, I would love to see this fixed, but there aren’t many powerful politicians pushing for a change. This could be due to the fact that the tend to come from more affluent areas.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The underfunded schools tend have both more students per class and a higher percentage of unruly and unmotivated students, along with, and often exacerbated by inexperienced and generally poor teachers (who else would want to teach in those schools, especially when you factor in that they pay less and tend to be in rough areas.

That is the answer wherein lies the problem and it comes from someone with hands on the subject
and because that particular class of the community are multiplying like rats, the problem is exacerbated giving no glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That is the answer wherein lies the problem and it comes from someone with hands on the subject and because that particular class of the community are multiplying like rats, the problem is exacerbated giving no glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

A friend of mine retired from an industrial company and spent two years getting teaching credentials. His first assignment was near his home, an easy commute (worth something in this environment) to a local high school. It didn't last. Among other things, students were disorderly and there was little enthusiasm among most of them for learning. The few who wanted to learn were drowned out by the ruffians. He, and some others, gave it up their dream.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
You can lead a horse to water…but you can’t make them drink.

J. Lane Easter, DVM