Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ever sell an accurate rifle? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Question to the regular sellers and shooters at AR - Do you ever sell one of your really accurate rifles?

I have a couple of .270's and .300 Win mag's that are 1" or better guns that are basically "extras". I doubt I will hunt with them but had fun tuning and shooting at the ranch. I struggle selling an accurate gun.

The 2" MOA guns get sold without a thought, but my straight shooters.... I struggle to sell.

Posts: 10171 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
It happens but not as bad as not having your first gun anymore!

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've sold 2 very accurate RUgers, a #1 in 7x57 and a boat paddle 338 and I have kicked myself since then... Sure, not custom or fancy but geez could they shoot...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did once. Kicked myself for years until I finally bought it back from the new owner. Fortunately for me, he had never shot it and it only cost me an extra 100.00 to get it back.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
I'll give you what you payed + $101!

Big Grin

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yes... I sell rifles that are accurate. They are usually rifles that end up as safe queens or duplicates if I upgrade a caliber and I just don't use them. I think both the new owner and I am happier if the rifle is used as intended instead of being pulled out and cleaned once a year and then back to the safe.

Most rifles will shoot if you find the right load or do some work on them. But I won't have a rifle that won't shoot at least 1.5", no matter how nice they might look!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I did shame on me I can't think of a rifle I sold that I shouldnt have.

It seem like the right thing to do at the time.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an accuracy nut. I will sell an accurate rifle but usually wait to get the new replacement shooting as I wanted it to shoot before putting the other for sale. If the replacement does not shoot as well as the original good shooter IT goes up for sale instead. This is generally somewhat costlier but insures that I maintain my accuracy standard or better it. It works for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a little .270 push feed, pretty accurate, never quite warmed up to it. Had an itch to get another 9.3, so away it went.
On the positive side, still have a couple hundred rounds of .270 ready for when the next one comes wandering in!.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course; you sell rifles that are accurate, cars that run well, and you leave (can't sell them) good looking women. Reason? to get a new one. New (to you) is always better. There are plenty of them out there and the fun is in the hunt for them. Once you find it, the thrill is gone and you look for another one.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted Hide Post
Yup, without a second thought, if they are seconds, and are not getting used, then out the door they go. Always need to make room in the safe for rifles that I'll hunt.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My problem is that I don't sell any rifles, I just buy rifles or so it seems. I need to learn that it is a two-way street. Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21227 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep, i have sold several.. most guns are accurate with bedding and/or load dev ...

what i DO sell are finicky guns.. that will only shoot one load worth a darn, especially if it is not a powder/primer/bullet that I usually buy

as for my first gun.. my first step mother, bless her heart, pawned both my first 22 (a marlin, so no big loss) and my first centerfire, a k98 that Dad and I sporterized -- for less than 20 bucks total -- and didn't tell dad until they had SOLD in the pawn shop...

nice lady, one so hopes karma keeps a list of the deserving.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sold a bunch of varmint rifles to friends when they see how well they shoot.
I have stopped shooting paper when my friends are around

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can have them all; just not all at the same time. I'm looking for something to sell now to see if I can swing a new deal.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Classifieds are not a discussion forum.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
My problem is that I don't sell any rifles, I just buy rifles or so it seems. I need to learn that it is a two-way street. Big Grin

Mike,
Me too. I tend to gather a bunch and can't part with them.

Posts: 10171 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sonofagun
You don't even know what rifle you are offering to buy............. jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep winchester mod 70.22-250..I think my wife has hated me for 15 years now..it was her's

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Yeah ive sold a few but I generally hold out for a buyer that can appreciate what I have done or loaded it for.

I wont just sell it to someone that cant or dont want to shoot accurately. Or take care of it properly.

Ive seen 12 year old boys more deserving of an accurate rifle than alot of grown men....

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, because generally speaking I will not sell one that is inaccurate. I know what it is like to get a firearm with all kinds of expectations and be disappointed when it won't shoot, so I won't do that to my gun owning brothers. It is dishonest, as I see it.

However, I have sold very few firearms period.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a better question, have you ever BOUGHT an accurate rifle Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold a rifle once. Certainly won't make that mistake again.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had to sell a sweet Anschutz L.H. model 54 years ago to pay the fucking IRS. Won a lot of turkeys over the years @ turkey shoots w/ that rifle.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Why not? Also depends on what you consider accurate.....

I am a little more picky about accuracy than some of the posters. I won't keep any non large bore rifle that groups over a half inch. Even my Rigby is under an inch. I expect that in a custom rifle. Back in the 70's ol' man Kleinguenther guaranteed 1/2" and 1" accuracy with factory ammo on his std/magnum guns respectively. I use that as my benchmark. I do handload, also why I raise the bar.

1 - 1/12" is for factory rifles. No excuse for that in a custom rifle. So if you consider that accurate, yes I've sold some very, very accurate rifles.

Regardless, I seem to use the same damned rifles for all of my hunting so a lot of what I had made are "fluff," which I have sold over the years (in addition to the over an inch non shooters) without regret.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, If I'm bored with a rifle, I'll sell it.
Never met a bolt gun I couldn't get 1" 3 shot groups out of. If it shot 5", I'd feel guilty selling it "as is".
They are all fun to play with but only a few that I would never sell because they are accurate killers that also look great.
Just a 721 30-06 that shoot 5 in 1" but the wood ... obviously was "misplaced" from a Premier Grade ..... it's a keeper.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Question to the regular sellers and shooters at AR - Do you ever sell one of your really accurate rifles?

No, but there was a Anschutz .22 at a Raleigh gun show that I should have bought, and I kick myself every time I think of it (ouch).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote