THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Tenn officials want Davy Crockett document

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tenn officials want Davy Crockett document Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Sounds to me like Tenn just wants the money

TAMPA, Fla. – Officials in Tennessee want a 90-year-old Florida woman to turn over a marriage license application filed by legendary Alamo defender Davy Crockett more than two centuries ago.

But the woman's son, Vance Smith, said the document has been in the family for years.

"She said it was hers and she wasn't giving it up," he said.

Lura Hinchey, archive director for Jefferson County, Tenn., said the original marriage license application of Crockett and Margaret Elder belongs to the county because it is a permanent record. On Tuesday, Jefferson County officials filed papers in a Tampa-area court seeking its return.

The historic document is in the possession of Margaret V. Smith, whose son said she inherited it.

"I told her the original belonged to our county because it was one of our permanent records," Hinchey told The Tampa Tribune. "She said it belonged to her and she was going to keep it."

Vance Smith said Tennessee officials didn't ask for the license back until his mother appeared on the TV program "Antiques Roadshow." On the show, she told an appraiser her uncle, a Crockett fan, saved the 1805 document from being thrown out as a Tennessee courthouse was being cleaned out.

The appraiser estimated the application was worth $25,000 to $50,000.

"They knew she had it because she had loaned them a copy of it," Vance Smith said. "They found out it had some significant money value."

Crockett, a frontiersman, politician and soldier who died at The Alamo, never married Elder. Apparently, she changed her mind and he soon married another.

Jefferson County officials dispute Smith's account of how her family came to possess the document, and county historian Robert Jarnagin said other marriage licenses from that era remain on file.

Tennessee officials want a Florida judge to enforce an order issued in November for Margaret V. Smith to return the document.

"The circumstantial evidence is a member of Mrs. Smith's family took that document," Tennessee Judge Allen Wallace said at the time. "The title is in Jefferson County, period. She's got to return it

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they can bid for it, if it goes to auction, UNLESS they prove its stolen.

all originals are ORIGINALS .. if the county aint got, I say TEXAS has right of first refusal, as he's a TEXAS legend

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would tell the Tennessee officials to back off on their spiteful activity....or I would be just as spiteful and send it to them alright..................in a small pill bottle as ashes.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The state needs to come up with a timely filed charge that the document has been stolen. I.e. a "police report" that the document is missing, and dated from when it was missing, not "now" and "after the fact."

Governments toss out old archives all the time. It's to the credit of collectors and historians that a lot of this stuff gets pulled out of the trash bin.