Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I vent? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Just picked up my new gun this morning from the GS(new one)that I brought it to to have the scope mounted with Farrell tactical mounts. Well, guess I shouldn't have taken it for granted because on closer inspection at home, the mounting bar is backwards. It couldn't be more obvious to me(and I'm no gun expert)because the recoil spring is floating in the middle of the ejection port. WTF?

Should I trust that they torqued the screws properly? Should I trust that they inspected it to see if the bar needed to be bedded? Obviously, it needs to be redone but is this something that a GS should fuck up? Scope mounting is GS 101, no?

I'm pissed right now....not even about the $120 he charged me to mount it....because I wouldn't care if it were done correctly. Should it take 3 hours labor to mount a scope incorrectly?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$120.00 to purchase a K.Farrell base/Rings & mounting/bore sighting scope???
If you supplied the base/rings/scope & it cost you $120 & 3hrs for mounting-YOU got taken.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
If you supplied the base/rings/scope & it cost you $120 & 3hrs for mounting-YOU got taken.

I supplied everything, all rings/rail/scope etc. incl. ammo for test firing....he mounted the rail and attached the scope to it and then bore sighted it and fired it a few times.

Can I ask how much it should cost? And I'll just add that the rings were already on the scope.

And please, 70 views and 1 response? I suspect you smiths stick together....but help a guy out here. Should I not be pissed about this?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Suppling everything and it being labor only should have been shop minimum or a bit more, Aside from shooting it to confirm bore site.
Out of spite I'd take it back and make him do it again but right this time.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I just took a look at the mount and I don't know how he could have mounted it back wards as the hole pattern from front to back receiver ring is different and may not fit the rear bridge

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it's possible they sent me the wrong plate but shouldn't he have realized that when the recoil screw was hanging in the center of the ejection port not abutting anything?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was P.T.Barnum who said "You'll never go broke betting on human stupidity!" and "There's a fool born every minute!"

Unfortunately some of them claim to have become gunsmiths...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
I suspect you smiths stick together....but help a guy out here.

With a stupid assed statement like that you are lucky to get any replies.

And while we're on the subject, what does this one mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Norton: It couldn't be more obvious to me(and I'm no gun expert)because the recoil spring is floating in the middle of the ejection port. WTF?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
I suspect you smiths stick together....but help a guy out here.

With a stupid assed statement like that you are lucky to get any replies.

And while we're on the subject, what does this one mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Norton: It couldn't be more obvious to me(and I'm no gun expert)because the recoil spring is floating in the middle of the ejection port. WTF?

No offense intended....but after 70 views and 1 response.....and posting while being pissed I guess I misspoke.

Meant to write SCREW instead of spring.....the rail has a recoil screw that abuts the front edge of the ejection port when properly installed.

Hope these pics clarify....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that if you take the rifle back to the shop and point out the error, they will correct it ASAP.

Chances are the shop has never seen a scope base with a recoil lug screw - the utility of which escapes me. If the base has elevation built in to it, perhaps they had difficulty bore sighting.

As for the price, $120 with a trip to the range is not outlandish.

In any event, I can't imagine any reputable 'smith not being in a hurry to correct a mistake like that.

$0.02

Jim

Posts: 49 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what model gun and model scope bases? not maker, which MODEL
start with the facts and work out the opinions

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, he called first thing this morning and promises to make it right. Evidently, the job was done by his helper who knows NOTHING. Bad decision on his part but it sounds like he realizes his error in judgement and has already let the guy go.

Gun is back in his shop(45 mile round trip for me)and will be done by Monday per him.

If it turns out to be the wrong rail then I'm partially responsible(although I gave the EXACT model to the Farrell rep. over the phone).....and any smith would have immediately known it wasn't right anyway.

I give credit where it's due.....and despite this being a royal PIA, he's attempting to make it right ASAP and I appreciate that.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:

I supplied everything, all rings/rail/scope etc. incl. ammo for test firing....he mounted the rail and attached the scope to it and then bore sighted it and fired it a few times.

Can I ask how much it should cost? And I'll just add that the rings were already on the scope.

And please, 70 views and 1 response? I suspect you smiths stick together....but help a guy out here. Should I not be pissed about this?

I would have charged you my shop min.of 1 hr. $55. and told you to wait while I did your job.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
If the smith really took the rifle to the range for test firing and sighting in the scope, it depends on how far the range is from his shop. If he has to drop all he is doing to travel to and from the range as well as time spent at the range, the cost is not too far out of line.It is a bit on the high side but time is money. Not too many smiths are rich. I do it part time because there is not enough business from area gun shops to make a living on it, after insurance and other expenses.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$120 to mount and sight in at the range is a more than fair price. We get $35 to mount and bore sight even though our min shop charge is $37.50. My min charge for a trip to the range is $100, which buys you 1/2 hour of shooting, my travel time and fuel.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I will not sight in somebody's rifle, I wouldn't dream of it. It's one thing to be responsable for my machine work, that I will back 100% but I wont sight in a cliants rifle.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shit happens, cowboy up, stop whining like a little badger doody and let the guy fix the problem.

I could and would have mounted that rig myself and got it right, but, "some do and some do not", eh......................

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
Shit happens, cowboy up, stop whining like a little badger doody and let the guy fix the problem.

I could and would have mounted that rig myself and got it right, but, "some do and some do not", eh......................

Doody, you're a prick......makes no difference which forum. No whining, just relaying the facts you miserable, old malcontent.

You have $500 into a scope MOUNT and you want it done right.....shit ISN'T supposed to happen when a supposed expert is doing it. Fuck you and I hope we meet sometime.....then we'll hear some whining.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
No threats, Norton - stop it.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell you this, but, I have quite a few hunting rifles which have scope mounts on them which cost MORE than yours did. The POINT, you silly little boy, is that YOU continually whine about issues that any mature man would simply deal with and mounting that type of scope mount is quite easy.

I cannot respond to your last comment due to the forum regs. Laffin'.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and mounting that type of scope mount is quite easy.

That why the smith got it wrong, genius?

Now go change your diaper and drink your prune juice.....it's past your bedtime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, according to YOUR previous post, it was an assistant who is a beginner who made the error. Were you as full of shit then as you are now and just lied?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, according to YOUR previous post, it was an assistant who is a beginner who made the error. Were you as full of shit then as you are now and just lied?

Let's make this as simple as possible for you: A surgical resident in training inadvertently kills someone during an operation in which he is being supervised by an attending surgeon. Who is responsible?

Let's try another: A garage owner has a couple of mechanics who work for him; after a repair at the shop a car owner is killed when the brake line that was rubbing against the tire ruptures after being improperly installed. Who is responsible?

Did I not say that I appreciate his "making it right" ASAP? You're a piece of work, old man.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Nobody has been killed here.

Looks to me like the scope mount isn't the correct one for the action.

Still not sure WHAT action & length you have and which part# scope mount you ordered. Nobody else reading this post knows either. Pretty evasive dodging jeffe's question about it.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Pretty evasive dodging jeffe's question about it.

Amazing where this thread has gone.....now I'm being evasive.

Gun's back at the shop along with the bar and the receipt that came with it. Gun is a Savage Weather Warrior 116FCSS .300 win mag.....which is EXACTLY what was relayed to the Farrell rep. while ordering. If you can't trust the person at the mount fabricator to know what you need.....

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Savage action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that mount is a 20 MOA and it is mounted backwards, seem it would be a tad bit hard to zero at the range. I think your smith is feedin ya a line of shit....................

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
After diggin a little more, diggin
it looks like the mount is on backwards. The recoil screw should touch the back of the receiver ring. My first pic was for the savage, just not the g-force model like you have. My mistake. homer A part # would have cleared that up.

A search for US patent # 6,722,074 that is on his web site would clarify the mounting instructions.

Farrell Patent

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunmaker.....you're right about it being backwards, which I recognized as soon as I got it home. Funny thing is, the diagram that I GAVE TO HIM the first time that came with the mount shows it clearly.

I'll bet the smith gets it right this time...now that he is actually doing it. Thanks for looking it up, btw.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet the smith gets it right this time...

If you want to be sure, forward this thread to him. Big Grin Good luck!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looking at the photo it looks like the mount is correct but the recoil screw is wrong. If you put the mount on the other direction with the high base in front you'll never get it zeroed. But the screw does go in the front. Something isn't right with the base assuming it is 1 piece.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like that Savage action is one of the full-round receivers, and if so, yes, the mount is definitely backwards....

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1170 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well if it is backwards He's going to have to do something about the hole pattern as reversing the mount will not fix the holes Re-drilling and taping is in order here

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That model rifle is the same height and has the same hole spacing front and rear. The Farrell base is turned around. Recoil screw should face to the front. Would have probably been more obvious to the installer had the base been one of the MOA models. No mistaking it then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you're right Westpac.....it just needs to be turned around.....like in the diagram his asst. neglected to look at.

I'll report back tomorrow with the good news(hopefully). Cool I appreciate everyone's input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My problem with this is jumping on the internet first instead of visiting with your gunsmith. I'm glad you have never made a mistake or caused anybody an inconvenience. The guy is taking care of it and all is good. If I did the job and went to the range, I would say his fee was very fair.
I do my own work only for myself and yes I get pissed at myself from time to time, but haven't complained about it on the web yet.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm confused on why you would pay someone to mount a set of Farrel base/rings? With the exception of possible needing to bed the base its as easy as it gets. Farrel rings are non-lap like Nightforce.

Bigger question is why Farrel's on a Savage 16/116? Pic didn't look like a tacticool rig. If simpplt for hunting IMHO Farrel's are way to heavy. Don't get me wrong. I love Farrel, just not on a hunting rig.

Not looking to be a dick but Talley 1 piece would probably fit your need a bit better.

Anyway, if its me I would make the smith fix it and move on. Bottom line it should not have left his shop but shit happens. Since he did not overlook his apprentice's work, I would find another smith.

I ship my work to South Dakota (Leo Schnell) from NY because he does great work for good prices. Sometimes local aint the way to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
My problem with this is jumping on the internet first instead of visiting with your gunsmith. I'm glad you have never made a mistake or caused anybody an inconvenience. The guy is taking care of it and all is good. If I did the job and went to the range, I would say his fee was very fair.
I do my own work only for myself and yes I get pissed at myself from time to time, but haven't complained about it on the web yet.
Butch

I was pissed......and I guess it got the better of me. Nowhere did I mention his name or location and I gave him credit for responding to the problem quickly. Accurate?

As to why the Farrell mounts.....the rings were already on the scope when it was given to me. The whole set-up is overkill but I figured why trash those high-quality rings.

And Dewey, go fuck yourself.....again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norton: If you'd just left off that last sentence....

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote