Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer baiting Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
The Michigan DNR want's to ban deer baiting and non synthetic deer urine based lure and scents. To me they should never started to bait,you are making the deer more nocturnal. As far as the scent,you just got to play the wind

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 300 win:
The Michigan DNR want's to ban deer baiting and non synthetic deer urine based lure and scents. To me they should never started to bait,you are making the deer more nocturnal. As far as the scent,you just got to play the wind

I don't think baiting changes anything about the times deer are active.

The urine scents are attractants, not covers, so "playing the wind" has no bearing.

The primary advantage to baits and scent lures is their ability to get the deer in a clear spot to take a shot.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
This is one of those circular arguements that only shows dkivision lines among hunters. It would get more mileage/interest if placed in the American Hunting discussion forum.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when my wife was "in season" I asked her for her used kotex. BELIEVE me women give them up less easier than their virtue. I would use the kotex,in a Kodak film cannister duct taped to a clothes line pin.When hunting remove the ca Clip to any + several branches..Esterus works for most mammals.It has worked for me.If that is baiting then I was baited when I got married. As an addendum,when Cecil B. Demills did his movie of Samson + Delila;on the set the lion worker asker her if she wes in her period.At that point it ceased being a fantasty + real world.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Back in the day when my wife was "in season" I asked her for her used kotex. BELIEVE me women give them up less easier than their virtue. I would use the kotex,in a Kodak film cannister duct taped to a clothes line pin.When hunting remove the ca Clip to any + several branches..Esterus works for most mammals.It has worked for me.If that is baiting then I was baited when I got married. As an addendum,when Cecil B. Demills did his movie of Samson + Delila;on the set the lion worker asker her if she wes in her period.At that point it ceased being a fantasty + real world.

Most of us are just NOT that dedicated. Big Grin Baiting is illegal here.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most common debates, at least here in Minnesota, is why baiting is illegal but hunting over a field of soybeans or corn (or for that matter any planted crop) is not illegal.

A hunter can sit in a stand near a picked corn field where there are hundreds of cobs sitting on the ground and it would be legal as long as the cobs were not "placed" there by the hunter.
But another hunter could pick up a few of those cobs of corn, move 10 yards away from the other hunter and "place" those cobs of corn on the ground and would then be subject to arrest and a fine.

Another example. My brother has a number of apple trees. Deer flock to them in the fall. It would be legal for him to sit in a blind next those trees and shoot a deer. But if he were to pick up just one apple and "place" it a foot from where it had naturally fallen, it would then be illegal to hunt there.

The Minnesota DNR's answer to why baiting is illegal is because it aids in the spread of disease.

I am not for or against baiting. I don't do it myself. But I admit to being fortunate enough to hunt on my own property, which is excellent for deer.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is outside my bedroom window on the 6th of this month. Yeah, they are jumping at my corn feeder.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote