New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning 1919 Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I am currently in a military history course post 1945. We were watching the movie Porkchop Hill. In the movie the professor was pointing out several guns: M14's, M1 carbine, Garands. One thing that didn't sit right with me is that the professor identified the Browning 1919 machine gun as a BAR. It was always my understanding that when one referred to a BAR they were referring to the Browning 1918. Can anyone clarify? I just want to make sure my suspisions are correct with someone with real world experience before I confront the prof. about this.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1919A4 is a belt-fed, crew-served MG shooting 30-06, 8mm, or 308 depending on setup. BAR is 1918 LARGE rifle with 20 rnd magazine in 30-06. No similarities except for caliber.

Posts: 383 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While M14's may have been in the film, which is a definite possibility, I doubt seriously if they were on Porkchop hill, which was in 1953, if I recall correctly. The M14's predecessor was in trials at that point and the M14 was not adopted until 1959. It was, IMHO one of the finest rifles ever made.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Lavaca,you said it all + saved my time.

Posts: 4250 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
As Lavaca and N.C. said they M 14 is it.

Patton would have said surpassed his best battle instrument referring to the M 1 if he had only been there to do so.

Take a proven weapon and improve a few things, slightly lighten the ammo load with just slightly reduced ballistics and you got all!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Even the 1919A6 with a pistol grip and shoulder stock is so different from a BAR that one cannot be confused with the other.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote