THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Stock damaged in shipping. What to do?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock damaged in shipping. What to do? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I have a problem with a gun that was shipped to me. It is a Weatherby MKV Deluxe in .460 WB. It was packaged by the FFL who mailed it, not by the person. When they did the packaging they put in one plastic bag the gun lock, accubrake, thread protector for when you don’t have the brake on, a metal wrench for the brake and the manual. This was all packaged away from the gun in a safe location. As well, the dealer removed the top half of the 30mm scope rings and placed them in their own separate bag which ended up directly under the stock. In transit the rings left 2 pretty good dings in the stock and finish. My FFL always takes photos of guns when they come in and as I was opening the box she took photos of how it was packaged. We both noticed that there was something under the stock and I had her get a picture where you can see the little bag under it. She then proceeded to take pictures of the damage that the rings did and told me she would be happy to inform the other FFL that it was directly their fault that the gun was damaged. While they are not glaring and huge blemishes they certainly detract from a gun that was in perfect condition

Question #1: How much in $$ do you think the dings would cost to repair?
Questions #2: I want the stock returned to original condition. Do I send it out to be repaired and have the FFL billed etc? What way would you go about it?

Here are some photos of the damage:

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would ask for a adjusted amount back i could live with and be happy or a full amount back eitherway....thats a shame,good luck and hope it works out tu2

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two things that I see are---

1--poor packaging. Should have been in a padded plastic case

2--photos are of two different stocks, what is going on???????

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
photos are of two different stocks, what is going on???????

They are the same. If you take the dark one and add fill light they are the same. Just one with and one without a flash.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ztreh:
2--photos are of two different stocks, what is going on???????

They look like the same stock to me...

As far as repairing the scratches, I would try to steam them a bit to raise any compressed wood then apply a little Tru-oil. I doubt they would be very noticeable.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alex,

Was this rifle bought on this site?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a Weatherby, it has a polyurathane finish. It can't be touched up like an oil finish. Finish must be totally removed from entire stock and then refinished. Big job!

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
call weatherby and ask how much to refinish

hard spot to be in.. i'd tell the guy to send me 63 bucks... for materials and a bottle of hendricks

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had the same thing happen to me I asked for fired cases to check chamber. The cases shifted and marked stock. Told the seller not to worry about it, and I steemed out marks. Things like that happen IMHO and it was an honest mistake.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso: i'd tell the guy to send me 63 bucks... for materials and a bottle of hendricks

Man after my own heart...

My commiserations on the damage - are you intending to hunt with it, or to collect it? If you want to collect it, would refinishing harm the value more than the dings?

Personally, I prefer oiled stocks, both aesthetically, and because they can be "touched up" easier. But, I'm a bit of a klutz and usually hunt w. rubber, or some things that look like my dog has used them for a... Well, one shotgun actually was used as a chew toy by a puppy...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is indeed the same stock in both photos, one with a flash, and the other with out.

This transaction did not come from a member of our board. This gun and 3 boxes of AMMO was sent to me as part of a trade for a bird dog. The intent was to do some large caliber hog hunting etc with the .460 and then sell it. I have no designs for keeping the gun for the long term, it was acquired to sell. That is mainly why I am upset about the stock. I am going to order a bell and carlson synthetic to use while hunting with the gun and leave the wood stock in the safe where it won't get little nicks and dings etc..

The dealer hasn't returned my call, but it was yesterday afternoon. I will be on the phone monday to see what can happen.

Thank you for your input.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might consider steaming out the apparently shallow dents and then applying the finish used by stone masons to give polished granite that high luster sheen. Have used it to restore finish on the Browning high gloss stocks and it it works well. It is an acrylic and dries quicky and gives tough finish. High traffic areas as in banks, public buildings, etc. with stone floors have this finish applied and it stands up well for lots of traffic. Lowes or similar building supply houses carry it and the brand I use is called Iron Stone by Butchers. Also used on high quality hardwood floors to withstand all the traffic. Merely swipe on with paper towel and let dry for a very short period of time. Each coat results in more shine/gloss
and there is no streaking to worry about. If some very slight streaking occurs, I merely take some 0000 steel wool and lightly wipe it down and re apply. Have refinished several blemished Browning high gloss stocks with it and it does work quite well. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the item was insured file a claim, they will decide who is at fault, themselves or the shipper, either case it probably will be the fairest way of determining the amount that is due. Commonsense should dictate to secure any loose items and to property wrap the stock to prevent damage of this sort. I generally ask that all lose items be shipped separately, worth the additional expense, I also request that the bolt be shipped separately for obvious reasons

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really really hope that you get this taken care of.

But these things have a way of turning out bad.
Don't let it consume you if you don't get it worked out.

And, from an old fart, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to any of your guns, consider yourself lucky.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the same happen on a pair of different purchases.

1. Contact the seller and let him know within your inspection window. Send him the photos. It is his job to go to the shipper.
2. It is the shipper who must file the claim and not you.
3. Get an estimate in writing from a shop and have them tell you what they can and cannot do or contact Weatherby direct.
4. Document your calls and when you send photos using signature requirements. It may seem silly and a lot of work but as mentioned above be prepared to deal with it if it does go bad.
5. Decide now if you really want the rifle regardless of whether you can or cannot get it fixed.

I was fortunate in that both times I had the problem the purchases were made on AR and both times I was working with gentlemen who were standup and honorable. We simply had the conversation and the resolution was equitable.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Moved from the Classifieds.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
First,

I would contact the shipping FFL. He's probably a stand up guy, and if it's a brick and mortar shop with employees, one of his guys probably packed and shipped it, and he's probably not even aware that it went out that way. Give him the opportunity to make it right first.

Then,

I would contact Weatherby directly and inquire about charges for a stock refinish. It may not be that much in actual dollars spent to have them refinish the stock.

The shipper will probably offer to pay for the refinish.

At least, that's the way it SHOULD go down...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be of some help narrowing down who's at fault. I have been a UPS driver for 23 years and see this sort of damage from improperly packed merchandise. Any loose and uncontained objects that caused damage to an item while in transit is soley the shippers responsibility. Any loose items should have been bubble wrapped or placed in a small box inside the original shipping container. In this case a claims manager would definately deny a damage claim because of improper packing. I'm sorry if this does not help your case but it is what it is.

Here is some shipping advice to anyone who will ship items whether it is a firearm or not. First use a new or like new box with no other labels besides the shipping label. Make 3 copies of the shipping label. One for the outside and one for the inside in case the external label is damaged or lost. Keep one for your records and tracking. Use bubble wrap or paper fill to eliminate space and cushion items. Use a box with a 200 pound per square inch burst strength. We deny many claims because the box did not afford sufficient burst strength to protect a shipment. Use 3" kraft tape not duct tape or masking tape. For extra precaution if I have an item succeptible to water damage I will wrap it inside a garbage bag...Things like photos or cloth.

You must consider what a package goes through while in shipment. Every day I see packages with "This Side Up" markings on it. That works with people but a belt and chute system cannot read so pack accordingly. We have a "Hands to surface policy" which means an employee can be fired if he tosses a package or does not place it on a surface. Management cannot police them every moment so it happens when it should not so be aware.

I apologize to anyone who has had a damaged package because I try so hard to make my customers happy. It truly pisses me off to have a package on my car with bent corners or obvious stress to the container. I make a habit of letting customers open and inspect distressed packages before they sign for them. I have even recieved a warning letter of termination for taking too much time for that but feel each case was justified in taking care of the customer. It's what I expect so it's what I do.