New
Find
Notify
Tools

A situation Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Last night I was released from hospital into hospice care.

As you know, I have a large firearms collection, hundreds of bullet moulds, over 100 sets of loading and forming dies, all kinds of loading tools and casting equipment, enough components for maybe 100,00 rounds of jacketed ammo, etc. I also have hundreds of desirable books still on hand on shooting, hunting, etc.

I am trying to work out how to best dspose of all this stuff in the unknown brief time I have left. Most of it is sporting rilfes, not collector's pieces, but the most accurate, most interesting of a lifetime of testing, hunting, and competing with rifles. There are also maybe a dozen or so pistols.

I also have new, high-quality barrels, spare scopes, and a few actions.

I cannot wrap and ship any of it myself, so am looking at a number of options...

1. Hold a large auction in Prescott, AZ, and/or

2. Post many of them here on AR where my local dealer could then pick them up once a week or so and ship the sold ones, and/or

3. Sell them all lump sum to one buyer.

Or there may be an option of wich I have not yet thought.

Your helpful suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First sorry to about you.

Auction may be the way to go in time is a worry . May not get as much as if you pieced it out.
Sell on here is a good thing , grate people on here to deal with. Just have to have some one mail and pack things.

I am interested in see what you have if you sell on here.

whish you the best and Take care.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ryry4
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. I'm in the market for a few hunting rifles/shotguns. I'm in the Phoenix area, if you are looking to break up the collection I may be interested in some.

Posts: 171 | Location: Alberta, Canukistan. | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am very saddened to hear of your situation. My prayers are with you and your family.

Selling to a single buyer or an auction may be the simplest, but wouldn't the most rewarding way be to sell them here and have your local dealer ship them for you? All of us will eventually be in your situation, and I think I'd like to know who my firearms are going to and that they will be continue to be cherished.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our hearts go out to you and your family. May your journey be a warm and pain free one to whatever is on the other side.

Auction. Most of the large firearm auctions I have attended have resulted with most of the firearms selling for more than there expected value. Try contracting with a local Auction company.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find your friendly FFL that you trust and have him handle your estate in the way of shooting related items. That way your family will benifit the most from your hobby.

So sorry for your condition.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's true that auctioned firearms often bring more than book value but when you subtract the hefty commission of the autioneers, it's not so much.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers...

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir, sincere thoughts and prayers to you and yours. I would think posting here and shipping would offer advantages, but I may be very wrong. And I would think that an auction broker would significantly lessen what came from the auction, but I don't know...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Find your friendly FFL that you trust and have him handle your estate in the way of shooting related items. That way your family will benifit the most from your hobby.

I'm so sorry to hear this. My prayers to you and your family.

As to your question I have to agree with Pegleg.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selling here or breaking up NO. You and your family do not need the hassle at this time.

Ffl dealer, no. You would be paying close to the same commission as you would an auction but it could take months or years to sell eveything.

Auction, yes. You will pay a commission but you hand them over and they take care of everything. The collection is sold in one or two days. Get your money 30 days after the end of the auction. Riata Pass in Prescott? If you have enough I imagine they would charge about 20%

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your condition. I would hold a auction in AZ, but I would want the auction company to be affilated with Proxibid for open internet bidding, in regards to gain maximum exposure of items up for bid.

Posts: 79 | Location: Montana | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have close friend you trust?

vmthtr@new.rr.com
920-562-4134

Posts: 224 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Damn, sorry to see this. Best of luck on your sales and hoping for the best for you.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers to you and your family.

I don't know what I'd do in this situation but the Auction route seems best.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AC,

I'm sorry to hear your health has failed. I have enjoyed your posts over the years.

I would recommend you compile a catalog of the items you wish to sell. Break it down into major categories: Long guns, handguns, optics, ammunition, ammunition components, gun parts, books, accessories (holsters, slings, dies, etc.).

Place a fair market value and post them for sale here (you may wish to bundle accessories together to minimize your hassle).

Items not requiring an FFL can be shipped from your home. The USPS will deliver flat-rate boxes to your home free of charge; you can sign up for a USPS account and save on postage by pre-paying it. The USPS will also pick up from your home. NOTE: Ammunition may not be shipped via USPS; if I remember the Domesstic Mail Manual, you may mail long guns but you have to do that at a Post Office.

My prayers are with you and your family.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this,prayers sent.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC, I am truly saddened by your news. May God bless.

I would find a good auctioneer. It is simplest and it can alleviate a worry quickly and fairly easily.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC-
I'm sorry for your situation. You have a great deal on your mind right now, as do all who are close to you. Since you wish to make disposition of your collection, I am assuming there are no interested parties amongst your heirs.
I would think keeping it as simple as possible would have great value to you just now. While selling bit by bit might bring a tad more, is it worth the hassle? I would think the right auction house would be able to manage all this for you, thereby earning their commission.
I hope your remaining time is peaceful for you, and the transition as well. May God bless you and yours.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear of your situation... i will continue to enjoy your posts.... you and your family are in my prayers... as to selling off your things, i'd suggest an auction house.. rock island auctions ... they catalogue everything, it brings top dollar... i'd also contact an ebay power seller... someone that specializes in sporting goods... they'll take their cut, but it will sell at top dollar...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC, so very sorry to hear of your plight. May God comfort both you and your family as you begin this homeward journey. If you have a close family friend, discuss the groups of items with them and and ask them to take care of them after you've completed your journey. Can be discussed now and handled later. This way you have the satisfaction of knowing that things will be handled as you would like them handled. I agree with the other poster that this is not something you personally need to handle on a daily basis. You have bigger thoughts to think. But working out a plan with a trusted friend may give you some comfort and actually take your mind off things occasionally. If there is no one you and your family trust, then perhaps the auction might be best.

Best wishes, Sir.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Just a quick, albeit uninvited, observation. You are a man of character; caring for others instead of yourself. I'll include you in prayers and lift a glass to a class act. Well done.

Fair winds and following seas...

Posts: 1245 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC, I am very sorry to hear of your condition. I will say a prayer for you. Best bet is to find an auctioneer with a good reputation and auction most of your collection, however I know you cherish the relationships you built here over the years so it may be of some comfort to sell a few items here and know those items will be sold to and will be held in high regard by members of AR. As was already stated......you are a class act and will be remembered long after you are gone.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I agree that an auction is the way to do it. I'd also suggest that the auctioneer post the date and location on AR. There are lots of members who live here or spend winters here.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
So very sorry to hear of your illness.

At first glance, at a time like this, I cannot imagine why you would worry about your firearms. But at the same time, they obviously have been a big part of your life, and settling your collection in a responsible and thoughtful manner is more than understandable, at least to this gun nut.

Perhaps listing a favorite or two here with the story behind it would be a more meaningful and enjoyable way to part with your favorites.

For moving large numbers of firearms, I agree, an auction will be the easiest on you and your family.

I trust God to be gracious and merciful to you and your family.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Our prayers are with you amd your family A.C. I have always enjoyed reading your post. God Bless.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AC,

Very sorry to see your post, I have also gleaned much from your posts here on AR. I'm on the other side of the valley from you in south Chandler. If you end up not going to auction or have things you don't sell at auction, please post it here. I'd be happy to do a face to face transaction.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God bless you.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC,

I sincerely hope you are wrong and jumping the gun on your condition...modern medicine can work miracles and perhaps you are overreacting a bit. I have always enjoyed your posts. My prayers are with you.
I agree with George’s approach of cataloging them since you know the guns best and can ensure that you get the appropriate price. It might be a bit of work but perhaps it will be therapeutic for you in a way. AR is a great place to sell and the market is hot these days so you might be surprised how well you will do. A lot of us will be interested in what you have.

Good luck and stay positive,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers are sent to you and your family.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very sorry. Call Rock Island Auctions and they will come and get it all and they get some very nice prices for people. Take care and God bless you.

Posts: 17134 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Auction. If you are in hospice you have more pressing things to do than screwing around with this.
Commissions are negotiable, I pay 11%. Work with the auctioneer to develop the descriptions.
Best of luck.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck, I do not know you and I have all the firearms and associated items I need. I only wish you peace and comfort in this difficult time. Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC, my thoughts are with you tonight, I just want to mention that another forum I visit did have a on-line auction for a member's personal items when he wanted to sell his living estate. Forum members could bid and funds sent to a single address. Regards, r in w.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC,

My condolences also, you will be missed. I have always enjoyed reading your posts, even when we have disagreed.

I would recommend a reputable auction house handle the firearms. The high prices they get on good stuff pays the commission they charge. And, it's handled without a lot of hassle for you and your family.

The gunsmithing and loading stuff, is more difficult. Shipping costs and the effort of selling become problematic for an auctioneer, so they often lump stuff together and don't do well. If a local auction, you often saturate the market quickly.

Selling to a single buyer that has the capability of reselling it is a good way to go for the smaller stuff. It gives you a fixed price, and gets it done with a minimum of fuss. Trying to sell piecemeal is difficult, the first buyers will take the underpriced stuff (and try to bargain you down)and there will be remnants that get real difficult to sell at the end. I've had two friends go through that in the past 3 years. Both thought they would do well by selling by the piece. One ended up getting about 30 to 40% of what I estimated the total worth was when it was said and done. The other is still trying to get rid of the last 30% of the stuff, and had to discount the 50% before that extremely to get it to sell. And, he gave up a profit on the first 20% by selling it too cheap.

Good luck and best wishes in this stage of your life.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take care it has been nice shareing the forum with you.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
AC, I wish you all the best and all of God's blessings in our Lord Jesus. May you be at peace!

Many of your friends have given very good advice here. Know this: whatever decision you make, let your mind & heart be at rest - for your decision will be a good one, and whether the details work out quickly or over time, you can trust they will come to a good end.

You, my friend, are soon to realize the words of our brother St. Paul: "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him."

Peace to you, brother,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
God bless you. Prayers to you and your family.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know that over the years past you and I have bought sold or swapped something. If there is anything that I can do for you please ask! I to sincerely pray that you know Jesus as your Savior and the only way, truth and light. May your last days be peaceful with your loved ones close by.
Best regards,
Bruce in Hanover

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote