New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cigars on Safari and an Opportunity Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Sorry to lure people in with this thread title....but for those who like Cigars or pipes on Safari there is an attack on the pastime going on in Utah right now.

The info was forwarded to me by a buddy of mine from Utah.

I am hoping people can get an email campaign going with their friends and buy down this guys inventory so the state doesn't soak him for $125,000 and effectively kick his 80+ year old mother out of her home above the store.

I've met this guy and his mother and they are truly the salt of the earth. If anyone needs cigars for this safari season, please drop Gary a line at (801) 322-2817 and he will deliver out of state.

Here is the newspaper story on the subject.
http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_14697685
http://166.70.44.68/multimedia...moke_Shop/index.html

Time to rise up and fight for the little guy!
Again, Gary's number is (801) 322-2817 and he will as I said ship out of state.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
That really is the shits so I just placed a mail order! Wife is gonna be surprised when she sees our CC bill this month!

dancing dancing dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, that no one has blamed this on Obama yet:

Sen. Allen Christensen, R-North Ogden, who fought for years to raise Utah's tobacco tax, said he understood that distributors would have to pay the bill, not retailers. But Charlie Roberts, Utah Tax Commission spokesman, said retailers indeed must pay the higher tax and yes, it will come due when the law takes effect this summer.

"If that's the way it is, then so be it," Christensen said. "I'm sorry for some of the businessmen the law will impact, but they're selling a deadly product."

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show that you never can trust a party! The same one that purports to be pro-business and pro-freedom will stick it to you if it suits them. Solution....vote with your dollars and order a box or two of top-shelf stogies from the place to keep them in business!

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Good excuse to order a box of cigars, I'm in. Will look into it this afternoon.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Just goes to show that you never can trust a party!

The American people have placed party above principle for a long time. This is the result. Having an "-R" behind your name reliably indicates your political philosophy about as well as your shoe color does.

The good state senator says that the tobacco stores "will somehow come up with that money anyway" despite the 51% increase in taxes and has already spent 44 million of the expected revenue! Now that is the audacity of hope!

I think I need to place an order just to assuage my angst. Isn't that what a good cigar is for?!?!?

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd move the entire stock to a warehouse in an adjoining state that doesn't have a 'floor tax' on tobacco products (that's where they tax your inventory on-hand when the law goes into effect), or to a nearby Indian reservation until this gets squared away in court.

Mike,
I cannot find a web site for Jeanie's; do they have one?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TAKE FIVE MINUTES TO E-MAIL THE UTAH GOVENORS OFFICE WITH YOUR OPINION ON THIS ISSUE.

www.utah.gov/govenor/

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Better yet....deluge the Governor as well as the entire Utah Senate and House! Of course, the real objective is to help this guy zero out his inventory so he owes the state nothing! No web-site....they are a pure mom and pop brick and mortar competing (quite well) in a world of e-commerce....until the .gov stepped in.

gherbert@utah.gov,
rmenlove@utah.gov,
bcferry@utah.gov,
jdraxler@utah.gov,
fhunsaker@utah.gov,
curtwebb@utah.gov,
kwgibson@utah.gov,
ryanwilcox@utah.gov,
gfroerer@utah.gov,
neilhansen@utah.gov,
bwallis@utah.gov,
bdee@utah.gov,
rgreenwood@utah.gov,
pray@utah.gov,
coda@utah.gov,
daagard@utah.gov,
jfisher@utah.gov,
rogerbarrus@utah.gov,
sherylallen@utah.gov,
beckyedwards@utah.gov,
jgowans@utah.gov,
sduckworth@utah.gov,
jseelig@utah.gov,
rchouck@utah.gov,
christinejohnson@utah.gov,
dlitvack@utah.gov,
jdougall@utah.gov,
briansking@utah.gov,
janicefisher@utah.gov,
jbiskupski@utah.gov,
lwiley@utah.gov,
ronbigelow@utah.gov,
nhendrickson@utah.gov,
janderson34@utah.gov,
markwheatley@utah.gov,
priesen@utah.gov,
csmoss@utah.gov,
ehutchings@utah.gov,
jdunnigan@utah.gov,
lhemingway@utah.gov,
toddkiser@utah.gov,
jbird@utah.gov,
wharper@utah.gov,
tcosgrove@utah.gov,
lblack@utah.gov,
mariepoulson@utah.gov,
smascaro@utah.gov,
tbeck@utah.gov,
jseegmiller@utah.gov,
merlynnnewbold@utah.gov,
greghughes@utah.gov,
cwimmer@utah.gov,
melbrown@utah.gov,
kraigpowell@utah.gov,
jmathis@utah.gov,
ksumsion@utah.gov,
cfrank@utah.gov,
ssandstrom@utah.gov,
lfowlke@utah.gov,
bdaw@utah.gov,
keithgrover@utah.gov,
cherrod@utah.gov,
sclark@utah.gov,
blockhart@utah.gov,
fgibson@utah.gov,
mikemorley@utah.gov,
ppainter@utah.gov,
billwright@utah.gov,
cwatkins@utah.gov,
kaymciff@utah.gov,
blast@utah.gov,
evickers@utah.gov,
mnoel@kanab.net,
dclark@utah.gov,
dipson@utah.gov,
lrobles@utahsenate.org,
bmcadams@utahsenate.org,
gdavis@utahsenate.org,
pjones@utahsenate.org,
kmayne@utahsenate.org,
waddoups@utahsenate.org,
rromero@utahsenate.org,
kmorgan@utahsenate.org,
wniederhauser@utahsenate.org,
hstephenson@utahsenate.org,
bgoodfellow@utahsenate.org,
mmadsen@utahsenate.org,
jvalentine@utahsenate.org,
mdayton@utahsenate.org,
pknudson@utahsenate.org,
jgreiner@utahsenate.org,
achristensen@utahsenate.org,
sjenkins@utahsenate.org,
jstevenson@utahsenate.org,
sadams@utahsenate.org,
dliljenquist@utahsenate.org,
rokerlund@utahsenate.org,
lhillyard@utahsenate.org,
kvantassell@utahsenate.org,
surquhart@utahsenate.org

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is supposed to be a free country. A country where a man can sit on his front porch and have a drink or smoke a cigarette or cigar and not be molested, or abused. It should be a personal choice. I don't know of anybody who couldn't support their family because they smoked and I met lots of people who have destroyed their lives through the use of alcohol. Regardless,it should be a personal choice, not some stupid do-gooder politician who thinks she or he knows better. I don't smoke cigarettes and haven't touched alcohol in 28 years but it should be a personal choice. I'm not in a position to tell anybody what they should or shouldn't do so long as they don't affect me or my family. Freedom is a serious idea and we can lose all our rights if we continue to take a "holier than thou" attitude. That law that Utah passed was passed by elitists who obviously think if they don't approve of a behavior no one else should enjoy it either. I hope they don't find consensual sex a bad thing?

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strapman:
This is supposed to be a free country.

. . . used to be. That seems to be more and more the case with each passing day.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd just have my attorney contact them and let them know that "Ex Post Facto" applies here. The Inventory on hand prior to the law being passed is not subject to the tax. Where's the ACLU here?
Discrimination in the worst way.
Isn't the entire notion of punitive taxation against the law?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I'd move the entire stock to a warehouse in an adjoining state that doesn't have a 'floor tax' on tobacco products (that's where they tax your inventory on-hand when the law goes into effect), or to a nearby Indian reservation until this gets squared away in court.

Mike,
I cannot find a web site for Jeanie's; do they have one?

George

Jeez George, that is an excellent idea.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That law that Utah passed was passed by elitists who obviously think if they don't approve of a behavior no one else should enjoy it either

I suspect that it was more to generate revenue than anything else. These kind of "sin taxes" are relatively easy to pass. certainly agree with the "political party" comments. I guess the shop does not have a web site huh? How can I find out prices and brands other than a long distance phone call?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
[QUOTE]
I suspect that it was more to generate revenue than anything else. These kind of "sin taxes" are relatively easy to pass. Peter.

Except that there is a strong likelihood that this will be revenue reducing. By my reading of it, they just effectively increased the price of a pack of cigs and cigars by 50%. In this economic climate, people will then just pay the shipping to import and avoid the sales and sin taxes altogether. Also don't forget Nevada and Wyoming border towns are a short drive from Salt Lake City.

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Allen Christensen, R-North Ogden, who fought for years to raise Utah's tobacco tax, said he understood that distributors would have to pay the bill, not retailers.

Perfect example of a moron given the power to legislate, without any idea of the consequences.

I'd like to contribute to the "unseat Christensen" campaign.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
allen_christensen@hotmail.com

His contact is a hotmail address.....LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fully support the right to smoke and I'm completely against imposition of more and higher taxes.

But regarding cigar smoking generally, I think enough of my fellow hunters to warn you about something. And you can take in this information in the helpful spirit intended or if you don't like it, then feel free to skip it.

I have never been a cigarette smoker- just don't like the smell. But I did start smoking occassional cigars some years ago. I gravitated towards the expensive imports. It was mainly in the pursuit of the macho image I think, to be perfectly honest about it. Anyway, I enjoyed them from time to time.

Then one day what I hear is that a close hunter friend who smokes cigars, not cigarettes, came up with a case of cancer of the tongue. You can guess what the operation was like. Chemo is now going on. He doesn't look like the same person.

Seems he never smoked them before, but decided to take it up late in life and then got really into it, smoking them real frequently.

Anyway, this can be anyone here. I don't smoke them anymore at all because of that.

Like I said, maybe this is news you can use. If it helps anyone avoid the same thing, then it was worth posting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the law, but like ISS posted, it would seem to me that current inventory would be grandfathered in. Of course, the increase in end prices due to the tax increase might lower his customer base to where his future revenues won't support his store anyway.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, after reading what I think is the current version of the bill, they plugged the current inventory "loophole" by creating an inventory tax equal to the difference between old tax rate and new tax rate.

Here is a copy if anyone is interested.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote