THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Please educate me as to the Mauser Craze.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please educate me as to the Mauser Craze. Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
I moved this from another thread so as not to hijack.
Note, this is not an attempt to harpoon a legend. Merely an attempt to understand why it is a legend. I understand that I don't understand. Not trying to offend or say it ain't so. Just asking Why?

quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
I'll throw in a question that I seem to be the only one who doesn't know the answer to. What is the deal with the Mauser actions? Do they offer something that other actions don't? They seem to have a cult following and I guess I must not know or understand why they are sooooo great.

No need to sling crap like monkeys in a zoo, but I really have been curious about this for quite a while.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your life depended on your rifle, what bolt rifle do you want? For over a hundred years the 98 Mauser has settled disagreements all over the world between nations. Dangerous Game is defined as anything that can, and will, kill you as easily as you would a puppy. Trip and fall down, get tossed, upside down, sideways, the true 98 CRF actioned rifle will feed a round that might save your life. The round is captured as the bolt starts home and cannot fall out. In times of stress it will not fail you. The PF actions are only around today because they are (comparatively) cheap to manufacture. They also make them big enough to stick a couple rounds of 505 Gibbs, or 600OK or 700AHR or one of Ed's monsters in the magazine. And, they are a link to the great hunters of the past.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you can't ever tell when you will need to make a second shot on a charging elephant, rhino or cape buffalo while hanging upside down

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And they are as plentiful as a small block chevy and about as easy to get parts for. Have two more unaltered surplus 98's in the safe for possible future projects.
Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Nostalgia, and dependability. I can understand that. What about the new mauser clones? The rem 798 barreled action from midway for example? And what kind of accuracy do you expect from an old mauser, or is a rebarrel the standard? Thanks.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Mauser is the original bolt action platform,still made today,it could be argued , it hasnt been improved .
With a push feed action,it is possible to push a round out of the magazine,retract the bolt before the rim is engaged by the extractor,and push another round out of the magazine,jamming the action.The rim of the cartridge is always engaged by the extractor in the mauser 98 action,so ,even if the bolt isnt closed ,it will pull the cartridge out.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who likes mausers and i kid him by saying its the only rifle that lost 2 world wars he misses the humor

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the m1garand, svt, ak47, ak74, m16 with all variants, m2, m60, m14, M1a tank, the vulcan minigun, and every pistol designed by john moses browning are push feeds. these are designed for VERY serious situations ...

the EXTRACTION of the mauser, NOT the feeding, is the tactical superiority, in my opinion ...

Failure to feed happens .. but failure to extract turns your gun into a rather frail club

There are pluses and minuses, and the reason there's a strong following to make them cool, either like a german or english sporting rifle, or like a model 70, is that they make nice looking rifles from "cheap" actions ..

but on a 10K spend, does it REALLY matter if you started with a $200 mauser or a $700 m70 ?

btw, I am a springfield 1903a3 fan more than any of the mausers .. why? dunno

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think so!!!!!!!

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the m1garand, svt, ak47, ak74, m16 with all variants, m2, m60, m14, M1a tank, the vulcan minigun, and every pistol designed by john moses browning are push feeds. these are designed for VERY serious situations ...

Not true - the 1911 is in fact controlled round feed. Cycle a dummy round through one and watch how the cartridge is picked up by the breech face UNDER the extractor hook and fully captured and under control before the cartridge fully enters the chamber. The Browning Hi-Power functions much the same way. Similar to the operation principle of a M98 or Pre 64 M70.

Even the 1911 magazines were designed around the "Hardball" round with regards to magazine feed lip geometry and follower shape.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a gunsmith buddy who is fond of saying, "the only improvements to the M-98 are improvements to make them cheaper to mass produce, not improvements of performance".

The M-98 is not about controlled round feed or positive extraction though it does offer those. Its about an entire system designed to work with once specific cartridge.

Everything from the length of the action to the size and shape of the magazine follower, the size and shape of the feeding lips which are solid steel and part of the action to the size and shape of the solid steel magazine box, the trigger system, the three position safety, the way the striker is blocked and on and on. The design of the action for handling escaping gasses in event of cartridge failure and on and on. Every single part of the action is part of an over all system designed to provide the ultimate in function and safety for one specific cartridge. Change that cartridge family and many parts of the action need to be re-dimensioned.

Do a google search on the Mauser m-98 you will find tons of information on it. Even if you don't become a fan it will be a fascinating study in firearms history and engineering brilliance.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
The M70 is better and especially for bedding.

Just consider what you would have to do the M70 to make it a Mauser.

1) Grind the recoil lug down so it loses half its size.

2) Move the recoil lug back so as to halve the amount of stock material behind the lug.

3) Postion the front screw into the recoil lug so as to reduced the amount of stock material.

4) Trim down big time the sides of the M70

4) Grind the tang away so as virtually no bedding area is left.

It would now look like a Mauser Big Grin

I think the plus of the Mauser over the Pre 64 is you can get a project going much cheaper.

<Mike McGuire>
posted
If the action was measured solely on the basis to fire and keep firing in the face of bad conditions, crappy ammo etc my vote would be SMLE over either the M98 or M70.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL as you can see.............opinions vary.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another feature of the Mauser is the geometry of the magazine. Peter Mauser was a very gifted and thorough designer. He worked out the optimal stacking for best feeding.

I am not a gunsmith, just a hobbyist who has read a bit. I own no Mausers simply because for many years they were right hand only, and the few lefties tend to be pricey.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to reply, but I cant add anything that hasnt been said here.

These guys have pretty much hit it.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not long ago, like 1999, you could find a Mauser in 8mm for $50 or less. Nice bolt action, walnut stock, great history. And a case of 1000, surplus, corrosive ran about $75.

8mm Mauser ballistics are pretty much the same as 30-06, and in fact the Springfield '03 bolt action in 30-06 Spfd. was patterned after the Mauser.

Hard to beat a deal like that for fun shooting out in the gravel pits, especially when the rifle comes with a bayonet, ammo pouches, oil cans and some other neat stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
The M70 is better and especially for bedding.

Just consider what you would have to do the M70 to make it a Mauser.

1) Grind the recoil lug down so it loses half its size.

2) Move the recoil lug back so as to halve the amount of stock material behind the lug.

3) Postion the front screw into the recoil lug so as to reduced the amount of stock material.

4) Trim down big time the sides of the M70

4) Grind the tang away so as virtually no bedding area is left.

It would now look like a Mauser Big Grin

I think the plus of the Mauser over the Pre 64 is you can get a project going much cheaper.

You are quite right, sir. And when you are all done with the model 70 custom, you still have a rifle with questionable head support on the brass and absolutely crappy gas sheilding. Ditto for the Remington and most others.

I mean, let's face it. All other actions are just M-98 wannabes that have had the design compromised somewhere for easier and cheaper manufacture.

I'm always amazed at how little people who should know better understand these things. The only real improvement I can see on any of them is the 3 position safety, and that is possible to put on the Mauser!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
If the action was measured solely on the basis to fire and keep firing in the face of bad conditions, crappy ammo etc my vote would be SMLE over either the M98 or M70.

Yeah. Right up to the point you assembled the bolt incorrectly and had it rammed through your head on the next shot!

Great design? I'll bet you are serious too?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by claude:
I have a friend who likes mausers and i kid him by saying its the only rifle that lost 2 world wars he misses the humor

Big Grin

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote