THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Suggestions for removing stench from Oryx horns

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for removing stench from Oryx horns
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Open Carry
posted
Gentlemen,

I recently opened some Oryx european mounts I had sent from Namibia. The inside of the horns has a strong stench. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the stench?

The skulls are bleached white and the horns appear very clean.

Posts: 55 | Location: Easton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 28 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dump some baking soda in and on them and let sit for a few days. The smell usually dissipates over time. Its very hot and humid out here, so being confined in the crate probably made it worst then it is.

Paul B

Posts: 58 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
good advice from Paul, another thing you can do is spray some diluted bleach water into the horns.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Open Carry
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

I sprayed some diluted bleach in the horns and let that soak for a few hours. I then rinsed the horns with water and let them dry in the sun. Now they are sitting in the garage with a dusting of baking soda.

The odor is mostly gone, at this point it is just a light smell.

Posts: 55 | Location: Easton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 28 November 2016Reply With Quote