New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Taxidermist
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I knnow this is opening a can of worms, but who in the U.S. is doing very high quality african mounts at a price that isn' in the stratosphere. I'm headed for Namibia in a couple of weeks and just got the price lists from 2 of the taxidermists that I was looking at over there. The price lists that I recieved have gone up 50-75% from what they were when my partner was last over there 4 years ago. I would realy like to find someone in or near Wyoming. All of the mounts currently in the shop were done by Mofanyani and Transafrican. I realy like the quality that I see there and have also liked the mounts that one of my customers had done by Reiser. However, the prices I recieved are as high or higher than what I have seen listed on U.S. websites quite different than it was not that long ago. I have been leary of having the work done here in the states as I have seen a number mounts that appeared to be on forms that belong to N.A. game, (Kudu that appeared to have been put on Elk forms and Impala on whitetails etc...)

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Give the folks at Wildlife Creations International in Glenrock, WY a call at 307-436-5360. He did a couple Pronghorns for me and my brother-in-law and the work was flawless. I looked around his showroom and he had several African animals as well (Cape Buff, Giraffe, Impala, etc...) and they were very nicely done. The antelope were moderately priced but I didn't ask about the African game.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
If you're bargain shopping, African game is NOT going to bring you any happiness. I hear it all the time about how few "American taxidermists know what (fill in the blank) actually looks like". I notice that doesn't stop the African taxidermists from mounting Argalis and bighorns and elk and moose, and deer and.....

African hides are notoriously trashed when they get here. I'm not saying ALL outfitters are crooks, but I've had a good run of the culls of late. One hunter had pictures of his kudu that had been shot quartering away, but the hide that he pulled from the crate (thank God I learned long ago to make the customer unpack those pieces of crap) had a bullet hole under one jaw that blew the entire eye orbit out on the other side. (Have you looked at the prices of a replacement 60 inch kudu?). American tanneries have to compete with jungle tanneries and the EPA isn't nearly as forgiving of their nuances. Prices of African hides is nearly double that of North American game. I charge about twice as much for an impala as I do a whitetail and I won't apologize for that. There's more than twice the work involved as the hide has ZERO stretch and it has to be professionally tanned (just my preference). They're usually skinned with machete's and stitching them up where the seam is somewhat hidden is time consuming. It's tough for me to listen to a guy who goes to Africa, shoots a $25,000 maned lion and then wants to haggle when I tell him that it's a minimum of $5000 lifesize BEFORE we add in the diorama costs.

So I guess we're even. I'm looking for a great white hunter who comes into the shop without a crying towel.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt I'll check with them, just called another person in glenrock who is sending info as well that was recomended by a very good local guy who was very good.

George, Just be cause I spent the money to go to Africa doesn't mean I should have to bend over and grab my ankles when it comes to the taxidermy here.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Rhys,

I use and highly reccommend Ray Hatfield at Nature's Design in Cody, WY. Their website is: http://www.naturesdesigntaxidermy.com/

They will professionaly handle everthing from receiving your trophies, customizing your mounts to the finished mount.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Rhys,

On average youll pay 50%-100% more for african game than for NA game. As George pointed out its due to the extra time needed to properly mount a piece that came in less than perfect, or even nearly destroyed.

One thing to remember on having game mounted over there is that you will lose most of what you saved in the extra cost of shipping mounted animals home.

While some people differ with me on this, I will also say the average work done in africa is sub par what you get done over here. That's my take on it after doing taxidermy for 11 years, and visiting two african countries and viewing work in their studios.

As SBT said, Ray Hatfield is VERY good. But you will not find him at bargain prices. Anyone who is really good at African Game is going to charge for it.

Don't get discouraged though, this is the trip of a lifetime. When you amortize out a $5000.00 taxidermy bill over the next 50 years, you end up with a cost of $100.00 a year for a lifetime of memories.

If you go the cheap route and the work comes in poor, you have a lifetime of regret looking at the mounts.

Have a great time on your trip.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
My studio is in Cody. I have been here since 1976. My web site is www.jamesmarsico.com then go to the taxidermy page. I am not cheap though. I produce quality work.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Why I wonder does it happen so very often on this forum that American taxidermists trash the entire African taxidermy industy?

There are good and bad taxidermists and tanneries on every continent, and indeed there's a post around right now where an American taxidermist seems to have stuffed up someone's (non African) trophy.

C'mon guys, play fair, it's unprofessional to do otherwise. If your work is so good, let's see pictures. If you want to see good African Taxidermy, go visit the Lifeform or Trans-Africa website......

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I've had some bad work done, actually forced upon my by Transafrican in the past. And I have visited a few taxidermy studios on sojurns over there and some were "OK" and others were plain not too good at all.

There are the same types here in the USA for sure.

It's just finding an artist that suits your needs and has skill. Plus, if the hunter is an American and his or her taxidermist is stateside, they have recourse if the work is unsatisfactory, unlike if it got shipped from RSA (or where ever from overseas) and was not done well.

Some blame can be put on the hunter, you DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, for the most part. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19200 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would call Gary Coke at Frontier taxidermy in Cheyenne (307) 632-3686. He did my african for me, and he is very, very good.
I would not put an emphasis on cheap. You will be looking at these for a lifetime, and to me they take me back every time I look at them. African game has little or no hair, which equates to extreme detail in sculpting and form prep, as well as alot of very teeny, tiny stitches.
Whoever you pick, make sure you inspect their african work. It is much more difficult to do than a hairy old bull elk. And there are alot of guys that do great elk, whitetails, and mulies, but haven't got enough experience on African to do a top notch job. If you have any questions, you can pm me as well.

Len Hawkins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shipping costs are off the charts these days so it makes sense to get the work done here.

Ahmed

Posts: 214 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Shakiri, I'll start playing fair just as soon as I see reciprocity. You ask ANY American taxidermist doing African work about the quality of the hides he gets. Almost without exception they'll remark of the trash that we see here. Maybe if we got hides in the quality that seems to be kept there, we'd do even better work. That kudu example was only one. I never mentioned the lifesize nyala that was missing the entire back hoof and foot, or the impala with the ear severed and hanging on by a tendril. I didn't start that fire of international sniping, and I'm certainly not a world class taxidermist myself, but I know world class work when I see it. I have yet to see pieces coming out of Africa with the quality I see from Artisty of Wildlife in Michigan, Animal Artistry in Reno, Ray Hatfield or Ken Walker doing. If YOU want to see what quality I'm talking about go to www.artistryofwildlife.com.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Then Bwana, you haven't looked in the right places.... but to fair to you, why should you, as an America based taxidermist, ever see any of the good work that's done here in Africa...... there's no reason a happy client would show you his trophies is there? In fact, there's every reason he wouldn't because human nature decrees it's impolite to invite someone into your home to show them something that they believe is better than that guest could do. - To say nothing of the fact it would be rubbing the guests nose in the fact, they chose to give the work to someone else......

Try looking at www.lifeform.co.za as an example of good taxidermy. Wink But also, please don't think I'm suggesting there are no good taxidermists in the USA..... there are some really great ones and indeed, we actually recommend Buckshot Taxidermy in our book..... along with Lifeform and Ric Rey both in RSA.....

If you're complaining about cut or damaged skins, that's almost certainly not the work of an African taxidermist, it's the work of a bad skinner and the reaponsibility for that lies with an ineffecient hunting operation..... and the reaponsibility for that, lies, at least in some part with the client for choosing the wrong hunting operation........... and that is probably caused by the clients desire to save a few dollars by opting for the cheapest quote. It's a funny thing how a hunter will buy the most expensive rifle case/hunting boot/GPS/binos/bullet etc etc because he wants the best and then opt for the cheapest possible hunt........ Wink

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
George, you bring up very valid points and concerns, but Steve is a straight shooter and is telling the whole truth, and nothing but. When I was a professional Taxidermist, I was amazed at how much money some Hunters would spend on an African safari. I remember clients talking of Tanz costing $1,000 per day back in the late '70s, and taking 30 day safaris for DG and everything else they could shoot. High end rifles fitted with high end German scopes...only the best for stud Bwana. Then comes time for me to quote their Taxi bill: "oh hell no! Your way too high." I'd tell them to ship their trophies to Jonas Brothers in Denver. Nope, not penny-pincher Ricky Joe Eddy Bob, he'd rather go to a guy who had never touched anything African, let alone mounted African game. After one or two feeble attempts at Taczidermy ARE Us, I'd get the load back, and at my prices. I wasn't trying to make my fortune off of one Hunter. But good, time consuming work costs...me time and the client money. Today's African client should be more concerned with quality of the experience, quality of the trophy ( apposed to shooting game with milk on its lips), experience of the PH and staff instead of falling for the cheap route. And yes, American clients are notorious for wanting the cheapest Taxidermy they can find. Some learn from their mistakes, others will continue to thrive on having their trophies "stuffed" and relish the money they save. My point is, good work isn't cheap. Doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive of everything, just be a wise shopper. Your mounts are part of your overall investment. Take pride in it and base your choice of Taxidermist wisely. There are excellent Taxidermists in Africa. Maybe not on every corner, but some great ones. Just like there are excellent African experienced Taxidermists here. There are two sides to each coin. Pros and cons of mounting here or mounting there. 90% of all problems with Taxidermy are made due to lack of knowledge on the part of the Hunter/client. It is your responsibility Hunters to know the difference. Investigate: ask questions: LEARN: and enjoy. LDK
PS: Steve, I agree: Life-Tone is one of the better RSA Taxidermist Studios

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Steve, David, I apologize if I seemed to paint all African taxidermists with that brush, I just tire of my hunters coming back and making that statement that was made to them. (Steve, you know know MY acquaintenances. LOL They damned sure WOULD invite me to see work they considered better than mine and I honestly don't mind. I know for once they weren't price shopping. I did get a laugh recently at a friend who had his roebuck mounted in Austria. I'd given him a price of $450 for a shoulder and he said that was too much. So he left it with the guy there. After he'd paid for the "custom hand carved and painted plaque" that looked like an escapee from Mardi Gras and shipping, his roebuck cost him $1350 including the poor quality "German" eyes and the nostrils filled with wax.)

The hides that I got in trashed had been skinned out with the hunter watching and then taken to a taxidermy shop in Joburg for salting, shipping and dipping. When I got them, he opened the box to find the screwed up hides. He told me they were not the ones he'd dropped off but instead of punch coding his hides, he'd used electric ties with Tyvek tags. Tags were right, hides were wrong.

And NO, we have our share of crooks on this side as well, so I'm not saying that either. In all actuality, YOU should have much better work coming out of SA since your manikins don't have the EPA looking over their manufacture. I know that forms have been pirated there and other parts of the world, so lets not go there, but still, the mankin QUALITY" should be better than the low quality foam we're having to live with here.

P.S. I appreciate you guys being stand up about this. Usually the good guys end up having to defend themselves when the scum taints the industry. I'd trust you two on that alone.

RETIRED Taxidermist

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi George,

Apologies aren't necessary, and as you say, the good guys need to stick together. - I just wanted to make my point and in all honesty, SA has it's fair share of bad taxidermists as well. - But it sometimes strikes me that an awful lot of hunters, more esp, those that hunt Africa wouldn't recognise the difference between good and bad taxidermy anyway. - Although, I guess that to a degree at least should be expected as they haven't spent sufficient time studying the live animals to know what they should look like.

As to your man that had his skins buggered up, as I said, it's all in the quality of the skinner. I use only absolutely top quality staff and my skinner's work is perfect. They're even trained to measure the folded skins so they fit into the box perfectly...... BUT I have to pay them top rates and in exchange, I expect and get perfection. All this makes for higher prices though.

I guess it's one of life's mysteries why so many people will lavish money like a drunken sailor on the peripherals of their safari but then penny pinch on the two most important aspects of it. - The hunt itself and the taxidermy......

One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
I visited Lifeform taxidermy last June and had a personal tour by the owner. Very nice gentleman and obviously proud of his business. And as Shakari stated the work was very good. I've been a taxidermist for 10 years and I was impressed with the quality of work.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try calling Ben at Tri-state Taxidermy in Houston, TX. 713-465-7388. No bickering or bull just results.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
George: Apologies aren't necessary, and as you say, the good guys need to stick together. - I just wanted to make my point and in all honesty, SA has it's fair share of bad taxidermists as well. - But it sometimes strikes me that an awful lot of hunters, more esp, those that hunt Africa wouldn't recognise the difference between good and bad taxidermy anyway

I couldn't agree more Steve. It can be near impossible for the average person to study game in the capacity of a Taxidermist; wildlife artist/painter; sculptor; PH etc. Especially the Taxidermist and Artist. Ever notice how expensive the top wildlife artists prints are nowadays? Forget buying one of their originals. Taxidermist that produce top end work are no different, except they're paid a lot less. It really comes down to the Hunter doing research for his hunt AND his Taxidermy work, but that doesn't always guarantee success or quality taxidermy. It's all about competition. The more intense, the more BS enters the fray. If you want quality trophies, find a PH that consistantly produces mature animals and is honest: he'll tell you to the best of his ability if there are no 30" Nyala in his area. So if your willing to fly half way around the world and spend your money with an honest, experienced PH, then do your homework and make an educated decision on your taxidermy. Good work is worth the $$. Bad work is just that...bad. LDK
PS: There are many qualified African Taxidermists in the US. None of them would use NA forms on African game. However, the novice's might, and the beginners have no business taking anyone's African game in to mount until they have the experience. There are only a few African Taxidermist Studio's I would leave work with and Life-form is one of them.

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sculptor:
My studio is in Cody. I have been here since 1976. My web site is www.jamesmarsico.com then go to the taxidermy page. I am not cheap though. I produce quality work.

James, your sheep mounts are excellent. While I'm still not lucky enough to draw a sheep license in WY, would you PM me a price? Fantastic work!

MG

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Now I was keeping quiet and going along with this until we got to this stupid remark:
"There are many qualified African Taxidermists in the US. None of them would use NA forms on African game." EXCUSE ME? Where did that come from? Every form in Africa has been pirated from North America to begin with and the very best taxidermists in the world use North American forms from Jonas, Research, McKenzie, and Van Dykes. They may modify them extensively, but I won't live long enough to see work coming out of Africa that will come close to Animal Artistry or Artistry in Wildlife or Ken Walker Studios or by R.J. Simington, or Don Stevens or half a dozen other "world class" taxidermists. Most African work that isn't on a North American pirate is mounted in a "straight" position with burlap and plaster forms using the real skull. To say anything less is an egregious breech of the truth in my opinion.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
George, I think he is talking about someone using forms for North American game to mount African animals. Like an elk form to mount a kudu skin on or an impala skin on a deer form etc..

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
but who in the U.S. is doing very high quality african mounts at a price that isn' in the stratosphere.

Me.

Sorry, I could not resist! Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
THen I misread that and apologize for the tirade. I've just heard that old line a few too many times over the years I guess. Sorry.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi George, yes, I could have worded my statement better by saying, there are many qualified Taxidermists in America that wouldn't use North American game forms on African animals. Hope that clears it up.
Cheers, LDK

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
And I agree totally with you. Again, I sincerely apologize for going in there spring loaded in the dumbass position. I should've read closer. Sorry.

RETIRED Taxidermist