New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bongo shoulder AND rug?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a 2010 hunt lined up for bongo. I want to do a shoulder mount and was wondering if there would be enough for a rug? They're big animals but not sure if it would be big enough.
If not, then any suggestions on what to do with the leftover hide?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
A pair of chinks would be very cool.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Many make rugs from their backskins. I have a few I will be working on shortly for an AR member. Will post pictures when they are completed.

You may consider leather backed pillows, matting for a framed trophy picture of the bongo or a bongo hide covered photo album for your hunt pictures.

PM or e-mail me if I can be of any help.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Bluefin,

Do you have room for a full mount?

Can you make room?

IMO, the bongo is the most spectacular FBM, ever. Ever.

Best of luck on your hunt. Who are you going with?

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the full mount, but otherwise how about a pedestal mount? use the rest of the hide to cover the back of the pedestal mount and skin panels for the pedestal base.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mary, I'd love to see some pictures of your rugs. I'm real interested to see what one would look like after part has been used for a shoulder mount. You're very highly regarded on here so I may very well be contacting you.

Guys, I wished I could do a full mount. Man I wished I could. I don't have the room. I just got the dimensions for Lord Derby I took earlier this year and that was for a pedestal - 7' tall X roughly 3.5' around. Boddington warned me it would be big! LOL

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that it takes up a lot of room and a lot of money for a lifesize. If you can find anyway to do the bongo lifesize I think you should do it. I have mounts done as shoulder, pedestal, 1/2 lifesize, and lifesize. Although nice in their own way they just cant hold up to a lifesize of a bongo. It is the best way to show off a unique and beautiful animal. The other poses are ok but dont show the full beauty of the animal. Bongo is one of the few that need to done full mount to show the true animal at its fullest potential. Well worth the extra time and money to build a special area to display such an animal

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post
This needs to be a lifesize mount. Shoulder mount Bongo just doesn't do the animal justice and you lose so much of its beauty. I would make payments, borrow, what ever, to do the lifesize.

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I agree that a bongo needs to be mounted lifesize. Too pretty of an animal, plus a once in a lifetime hunt. Bluefin, I bet you can find the room for one somewhere, even in a corner as a corner mount. Good luck on your hunt.

Billington Ranch Taxidermy
Georgetown, TX
254-793-2120
www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com

Posts: 2 | Location: Central Texas, Georgetown | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Hey Evy.....welcome to AR! wave

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can do the pillows

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I vote for a Euro mount and then you have enough hide to make yourself a Bongo skin vest or jacket. Smiler
OK....you really should full mount it.

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
I do not have a photo but once in France in a taxidermist shop I saw a full rug of a bongo. Just like a bear rug would be with the head mounted and the hide streched and laid out. It looked OK. But a bongo desearves to be lifesized.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
Years ago -- many, many, many moons ago -- one of the first things I ever did in Taxidermy was a Whitetail Deer rug, from a little spike buck! The guy had it done for his kid, who got the deer. It looked cool, if not a little odd, but a head mount would have been so much more cool.

In the case of this - or any Bongo, I must concur with the prevailing opinion here, and suggest you find a place of honor for this magnificent trophy animal as a full mount!

You know, if floor space is a problem, you could have it mounted to hang from the wall. Have the Bongo mounted in either a walking uphill or downhill pose through vegetation, to hang on a wall. The height of the mount in concert with the pose will give the impression of the animal walking up or down a mountainside!

Have the head turned looking outward into the room and there you have it! I would look absolutely marvelous!

The final fate of this animal take considerable thought before you make your final decision, but I would suggest to strongly consider going with the full mount ... on the wall.

Take care,
John.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have see once a full hide bongo rug (flat hide,like a classic zebra rug.) really, the best skin rug I have ever see. much more nice than a zebra rug. But if you can a full mount one is better, this is true. if for you is better a shoulder+rug have it skinned for lifesize anyway, so all the skin not used for the shoulder mount can be used for the rug.

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
full mount!!!

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
A pair of chinks would be very cool.

clap thumb

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have somewer in the pc a pics of a backhalf skin rug from a bongo if i can found I will post.

D.V.M.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

D.V.M.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I would get my Bongo first, then you'll know what to do with him. Smiler Lize size will be the ticket

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One quick mention, might save you some grief, make sure you're around when they cape him out, because the worst thing is when a skinner gets to generous on the cape and cuts the backhide down to nothing. It happened to my on a zebra mount left me with a backhide that's 20 inches wide.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Bluefin is hunting with CAWA and their policy is if you dont get "home" your animal to the taxidermist in good condtion you can come and hunt the animal for free again..

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full body mount. If necessary we will take up a collection here to help you out.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
we will take up a collection here to help you out.

Rich,
would that be for the mount or the addition to the house. Cool
Lorefuma,
That rug looks to be pretty good size considering it's only half. Would love to see a full sized bongo rug.

As luck would have it, I just had 8 mounts delivered (5 African, 2 sheep, 1 mntn goat) to go with what I already have. I still have more being processed - one of which is a LDE!

My situation was to either purchase a bigger home but not be able to afford exotic hunting or stay put and fly across the world and hunt. The decision was pretty easy for me.
The real problem will be when I do decide to move is finding a house with a room suitable for all this stuff.
I'm also already talking to Erik about hunting again with him in 2011. That would give me another shot at a 2nd bongo and if that's the case I'll probably go ahead and have the first one rugged. Although, he did tell me that one of his PH's found a monster. Just hope Aaron Neilson doesn't beat me to it. He's posted enough monster animals already!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:

Lorefuma,
That rug looks to be pretty good size considering it's only half. Would love to see a full sized bongo rug.

http://www.carlocaldesiaward.it/ITA/gallery_1.html

in the pics of trophy room you can see a fullbody bongo rug, bad thing they post only extrasmall pics.

D.V.M.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for finding that. You're right though, it is pretty small. Beauty of a trophy room!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw this post Bluefin and wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Took a bongo about three years ago. Wouldn't even consider anything but lifesize mount even if I had to put it in our bed room.

You headed to Vegas for the Grand Slam/OVIS convention?? If so, look me up and say hello. Cheers--Mark Hampton

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote