THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    How much for deer shoulder mount?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much for deer shoulder mount?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted
How much does your taxidermist charge for a deer (or similar sized critter) shoulder mount??

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
$400-$500 on average. Quality and experience will dictate price. I'm sure there are some lower and some higher. That is an average.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i paid 450 for my last one, well worth it. i have paid 200 for one in the past, looks like a $200 mount. the 450 far exceeds the money i spent in quality of work.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist charges from $300 to $400 depending on the amount of detail work you want done.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in southeast CT right on the ocean next to RI, I charge $550 for a shoulder mount deer. That's maybe above average for the area, I know a few others in the same range. Further north in Vermont I have a good friend charging $650.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
I charge 650. The highest I know of is 795. I would be VERY concerned of any professional charging less than 400. There is probably a good reason they are so low and worth less than thier competitors. Like anything else you will most likely always recieve exactly what you pay for.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be VERY concerned of any professional charging less than 400

I looked over your taxidermy photos and from what I can tell my taxidermist work is no better and no worse than yours. Did you ever think that his out of pocket costs are not as much as yours or his profit mark-up is less and can therefore charge his customers less. Plus the cost of living is different in different areas of the US. Simply judging by what one charges is just ridiculous.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with sculptor. Geographic location has nothing to do with it. I know of some very high end shops in very small town middle of no where america charging top dollar. The guy I speak of in vermont is a national champion, does master quality commercial work and gets $650. He lives in a low cost of living area. I know a studio in wisconsin, very low cost area getting $575. Every taxidermist pays the same for forms and tanning, it doesn't matter where you live. It's all about business. There's a lot of great taxidermists, there's few who are good business men. I'm in the business, you can't tell me or sculptor that a taxidermist charging $400 or less is making money, I don't care how you slice it.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
If your taxidermist does not charge what he is worth David be glad. I will stand by my statement. I have been in this business full time since 1970 and I know that today any taxidermist not charging at least 400 for a deer shoulder mount and still producing a decent standard product is not making any money or a decent wage or a profit and in my opinion is a poor businessman and a fool.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geographic location does have something to do with it. I find it highly doubtful that a tannery here in GA is charging the same as one in CT. Last time a checked a cost of living schedule GA was ranked ata 90 while CT was ranked a 115, which means things cost a hell of a lot more in CT than GA. A

As far as him making maoney, first his father ran the business and now he does after his father retired. Both were able to put their kids thru school. And both are able to travel where they want to hunt, both have been to Africa several times. So, from your theroy I guess they are selling drugs out the back door to make a living. Roll Eyes

By the way several other taxidermists in the area all charge in the same ball park as mine does, I guess there are all broke fools too. Roll Eyes

Good Hunting,

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
Your taxidermist is working on volume. Get them and get them out as fast and cheap as they can do it. Assembly line taxidermy. Yes, they can sometimes do a decent job at that and make a profit if they are set up right. They skin, flesh and tan or pickle every cape on sight and make thier own forms, all with minimum wage help (or cash help at less than that), One guy with skill sets eyes and passes it on down the line. Bottom line you are getting what you are paying for. Not fine craftmanship or art but a "McDeer mount". A meal at Burger King cost about 4 dollars and one at Ruth Chris Steak house cost about 40.+ Both give you what you paid for. Same difference; both will fill you up. If you are happy with that then they are supplying and filling that market for you within your culture and area. Believe me, any local competitors they have near them that are one man or small family shops are struggling to make it and cutting quality everyway they can get away with it at those prices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess y'all will charge with whatever you can get away with. My taxidermist does great quality work for an affordable price. He is greatly respected around here by many hunters who are in all ranges of financial security. And many of us have been to Africa multiple time and other place worldwide would use no other to handle our trophies.

Just glad y'all don't work in the area or our taxidermy costs would skyrocket.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
I said, be glad your taxidermist does NOT know his value or worth and don't bad mouth or act like an ass to those who do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not start the bad mouthing it was y'all. Questioning ones quality because he does not charge as much as you. Then calling him a fool and not knowing how to run his business. He just happens to know how to keep his overhead costs down while being able to produce a quality product and makes a fine living in the process. So moon

Good Hunting,

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
You are what you seem to be and your opinion is as good as your knowledge concerning the taxidermy business. Post a photo of one your awesome mounts for us all to admire why don't you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never questioned his quality once, I just simply said his business sense isn't great. I'm not a champion taxidermist by any means. I do good commercial quality for only being in the business for 5 years. Now your post on tanneries, I've used them all and they are all within the same price range give or take up to 5-7 bucks. That's not gonna break the bank. And forms, if they are quality all come from one place, and they cost a poor georgia taxidermist the same as a rich hollywood taxidermist. And every taxidermist has overhead to pay, period. Remember, we don't have cush office jobs with retirement and benefits and paid holidays. If we want that, and every self employed business man should, should be charging accordingly. Those guys doing 200 deer heads a year for under $400 can keep it. I'd rather do 50 deerheads at $550. Work smarter not harder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will direct you to his website so you can see his work for yourself. I never questioned your quality either I checked your websites and both of you do quality work. And his overhead costs that I refer to include his shop which is on the same property as his home. Also, he does not employ min. wage workers nor does he pick up cash workers off the street corner either. Just good hard workers for a fair wage as I am sure you do as well.

www.mcmickentaxidermy.com

Good Hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those guys doing 200 deer heads a year for under $400 can keep it. I'd rather do 50 deerheads at $550. Work smarter not harder.

Let's see 200 heads at $400.00 = $80,000.00
50 heads at $550.00 = $27,500.00

I don't know whats smarter but the hard working guy can sure afford to eat a lot better than the smart guy.

I know if it were me I would want the hardworking guy running my business!

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX, I can do those 5o deer in 2 months, how long will it take the other guy to do 200? Maybe you'll get this, 145 deer times $550= $79,750. That's 55 less deer, and making the same money, i'm sure that makes me work smarter, not harder. Again, someone who doesn't understand business. I work hard, I just don't work hard 7 days a week 16 hour days like the 200 deer head guy has to to keep up. Not to mention the other work taxidermists take in. Trust me, I want me running my business.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
David, you are perpetuating the lie that creates the fact that we'll never be considered a true industry. Geographic region has NOTHING to do with what you charge. Taxidermy is a luxury to begin with and those who can't afford a luxury need to accept that. I can't afford a Mercedes Benz and I assure they charge exactly the same for that car in Miami as the to in Pocotaligo, South Carolina, Wade, Maine or in Blood Butte, Montana. I'll bet you're paying within a nickle of what I do for gas, bread, milk, and I'm positive that a Coke or Pepsi costs exactly the same. Why would those industried not be effected by geography as you claim about taxidermy. As long as we defend those who make taxidermy "affordable for the less fortunate", then we cheat our families of money that could be earned legitimately. Welfare begins at home.If you do 100 deer for $250, I can do 56 deer and make more than you do. Why would you want to do twice as much work and make the same wages as I do? And you keep speaking of a "fair wage". Fair to WHOM??? If you mean charity, that's more like it. I think it's only "fair" that my 40 hour week being as rewarding to me as anyone elses. (But show me a taxidermist who only works 40 hours a week and I'll show you a guy who has a paid staff working for him).

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You keep telling me that geographic location has nothing to do with what one pays for goods and services. I travel to the west coast on business once a month and I can assure you that I pay more on the west coast for goods and services than I do here. For example, last month gas was at $3.90 gal here but out there it was at $4.22 during the same week. So you can keep arguing that location has nothing to do with it but frankly I am not buying it.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
He does have a nice web site with good photos; better than most. He is most likey a very nice guy who works hard for a well deserved good reputation. For my eyes however, it has the look of production line taxidermy; nice and clean but it is what it is. Again David be glad that your taxidermist has not caught up with the national norms of taxidermy pricing; esp if he leaves his prices so low this fall. Thanks on his behalf from a taxidermist for standing up for him. It still costs over 100. to fill up a desiel pickup anywhere in this country today and most of his costs of living are the same as everywhere. In your job I bet you earn and expect what others with your training and skills and schooling normally get paid no matter where you live or are at, and so do MOST quality taxidermists. B.T.W. three of my very best long time clients live in the Atlanta Geo area. They gladly pay my prices plus shipping from here to there. Life is good.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Geographic region has NOTHING to do with what you charge. I can't afford a Mercedes Benz and I assure they charge exactly the same for that car in Miami as the to in Pocotaligo, South Carolina, Wade, Maine or in Blood Butte, Montana. I'll bet you're paying within a nickle of what I do for gas, bread, milk, and I'm positive that a Coke or Pepsi costs exactly the same.

Obviously you don't get around the country much. I can assure you there are differences in costs between locations not only from one state to another but even within states.

Here is a little example for you:
Just yesterday I paid $3.79/gal here in CO, paid $4.14/gal yesterday morning before catching a plane in Spokane, WA and last week I paid $4.30/gal in Rawlins, WY.

Another example:
Was in Washington D.C. 3 weeks ago and a hotel room at a Courtyard Marriott was $259.00, two nights ago a Courtyard Marriott in Spokane was $149.00 and this coming Monday in Boise, ID I have a room booked for $104.00 at a Courtyard Marriott. All the same property but different cost based upon the location.

Sorry, to get sidetracked, but George's blanket statements are outlandish, to say the least.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those guys doing 200 deer heads a year for under $400 can keep it. I'd rather do 50 deerheads at $550.

These were your exact words not mine. You didn't say any thing about 2 months, the only thing mentioned in your post was a year.

quote:
Again, someone who doesn't understand business.

Careful there, the internet doesn't show what one does for a living.

I think my business might just be a wee tad more complex ( business wise anyway ) than a one man, or for that matter, a thirty man Taxidermy shop.

Taxidermt is an art, and the price art commands is only what the market will bear, just like anything else.

I don't for the life of me understand how a taxidermist in one part of the country can say that prices in another part of the country are incorrect. Everyone wants to make a reasonable profit for his product. But you just can't sell something at a higher price than the market will bear, not often anyway.

quote:
I think it's only "fair" that my 40 hour week being as rewarding to me as anyone elses.

I find this statement from another poster to be quite amusing. Who elses? A Lawyer perhaps? A nuerosugeon maybe? How about the guy flipping burgers at McDonald's.

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly dogcatcher223, They could make more money working 40 hours at walmart and get benefits, it just doesn't make sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone reading this thread should take a drive out to middle of no-where PA to marcus zimmermans studio near Duncansville. A multi-million dollar studio in amish farm country with nothing around. He does easily $1,000,000 in business a year and has one employee. Geographic location is in your head, not on a map. If they want it, they'll pay for it. But I do agree there are tons of very talented taxidermists out there who are ridiculously low priced and it hurts the industry as a whole. If they are appy making minimum wage with no benefits and retirement, good for them. I'll stick to my guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Geographic location is in your head, not on a map. If they want it, they'll pay for it. But I do agree there are tons of very talented taxidermists out there who are ridiculously low priced and it hurts the industry as a whole. If they are happy making minimum wage with no benefits and retirement, good for them."

AMEN !

It is because they are stuck in that small town looking down the road at what the next guy is charging. Most taxidermists are so worried about losing customers to the guy down the road they don’t see the big picture and don’t charge what they should. They think nobody will pay it so they are afraid to charge what it is really worth, as a result you get assembly line taxidermy, get it in get it out no matter what it looks like.

Come on guys comparing gas prices is apples and oranges.

Some areas of the country are required to use special “reformulated†gasoline with additives to help reduce carbon monoxide, smog, and air toxics that result when gasoline is burned or when gasoline evaporates during fueling. Other environmental programs put restrictions on fuel transportation and storage. These programs tend to add to the cost of producing, storing, and distributing gasoline. About a third of the gasoline sold in the U.S. is reformulated. Each oil company prepares its own formulation to meet Federal emission standards.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
And the price of gasoline is the same nationwide BEFORE IT GETS TO THE PUMP. Remember the barrel of oil in commodities??? Each state differs simply because each state leeches out different rates of taxes on fuels. If you took away the cost of state and federal taxes, you gas would likely be over a dollar a gallon cheaper. Try the car prices. "Geographic Location" is a copout for guys who're intent on keeping their freezers full, mad at their "competition" for stealing their customers, and don't have a clue as to what those animals remaining in the freezer are costing them versus what they could be making by having the freezer empty. You guys act like this is some of our first rodeos. We're just trying to make you legitimate and keep you from making the terrible mistakes we've made before you came along.

Ryan is absolutely correct on Marcus Zimmerman. And this is a guy who has NO OVERHEAD, has family members doing work you and I would have to pay to get done if we didn't do it, and who lives the Amish lifestyle. Talk about "geographic location"??? What about a sect of people who have no modern facilities in their homes and ride horse and buggies??? It just proves the phoneyness of that excuse about geography.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you still want to go on believing that things cost the same the around the world and location has nothing to do with it. Try going to CNN Money.com, they have a cost of living calculator and it will show you that things do cost differently depending on location. These costs do effect your business as well as your living.

George as far as you wanting to take taxes out of the equation that just does not make sense. I hate to be the one to tell you but taxes are a fact of life and you have to pay them or risk going to jail.

For business if you want to charge more than what the local market will bear, especially if most of your business comes from the local market, than the market will not bear you.

We as consumers are far smarter than what you give us credit for. So y'all can stop trying to piss on our legs and telling us it is raining.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David, i'm not trying to piss on your legs. I'm simply an advocate of good business practice, and I firmly believe all high quality taxidermists owe it to themselves to charge accordingly to elevate this business above hobby status. It's not a hobby, This is how I pay a $2000 a month mortgage. I have competition 10 minutes away. I live right on the ocean near stonington and mystic connecticut. Is there a lot of money here? You bet, but 99% of my customers are blue collar working class men and women. My competition swears up and down he can't get the prices I get. Meanwhile, I slowly take business from him every season. He gets $425 for deer, i get $550. He gets $475 for a lifesize yote, i get $900. He charges $200 a foot for lifesize bears, i get $500 a foot. And I get the customers. It's all about confidence and selling a good product. Are my mounts greater than his? Not really, he's a good friend and does good work, he just can't do the business end. And he knows it, we have the conversation every time we see each other. I'm constantly yelling at him to raise his prices. He just doesn't get it. And no he's not happy, he's buried with work and can't keep up and can't turn a profit and he openly admits it. Maybe I am pissing down your leg Big Grin Sorry, I feel strongly about this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those that say it is about Geographic location…….. That is total B.S.

In my town there are 12 taxidermist that I know of and the price will range from 175.00 to 695.00 for a whitetail mount.

All 12 are in the same “Geographic location†so way the difference in price?

For those that say Quality ………hmmmm.

The shop at 695.00 has been around for 30+ years but the work is butt ugly and no better than the guys at 175.00-300.00.

We have guys with a year or two of experience doing great quality work for 400.00- 450.00 but get way less work then the more expensive shops why? I think it is reputation and referrals.

The price for most taxidermy work is dictated by the overhead of our shops that we need or choose to work in.
At the end of the day it is just business and not all taxidermist treat their shops as a business.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The price for most taxidermy work is dictated by the overhead of our shops that we need or choose to work in.

Exactly, so why should a taxdermist charge as much as others when his overhead is lower? He can produce a quality product, cover his costs and make a quality living in the process even though he charges less.

By the way the cost of utilities, labor and phyiscal plant (housing) do differ by location. Those are costs of doing business.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$175 for a deer Frowner I have easily $150 in materials. That makes me angry, hobby or not, that just sucks.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
David, I guess I'll piss on your other leg then. Are you familiar with Amish and how they do business? And don't tell me you've never "bartered" work for something and didn't claim it, or do a horn mount or tail mount for a friend who handed you a couple bills and you didn't claim it. I have several close Amish friends and I KNOW how they do business. And since you're so aware of legalities, did you know it's illegal to use children under the age of 12 in most places to perform labor. My Amish butcher has his 8 year old twins salting deer hides and carrying bones to the rendering barrels. That's their JOB, not their playtime.

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is my take on taxidermist,they all start out doing work at a cheaper price then the average for any givin area. as business grows they go up in price and soon figure out how many heads they want to mount in a years time. they base there prices on how much money they want to make in a yr.then you seem to get the guy thats been in the business for years that seems to not care what his work looks like anymore,we have a few older taxidermist in our area that ,i think have forgoten what a deer looks like. they are doing sloppy work with very little detail. they just gradually ruin there own business.

usually that hard working guy thats doing 200 heads a year has learned to do a good job or he wouldn't be taking in that amount of heads,problem is they soon get burnt out on that amount of work.

the guy thats working out of his basement or shop does not have the overhead that the big store front shops have,so he can be alittle cheaper on work and may do just as good or better then the big shop.

bottom line is the cheapest price is not always the best ,but the highest may not be either. take a good look at mounts that are a few yrs old,poor work will usually start to show in a few yrs.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcatcher223:
quote:

Exactly, so why should a taxdermist charge as much as others when his overhead is lower? He can produce a quality product, cover his costs and make a quality living in the process even though he charges less.

Then that taxidermist really is an idiot! If he really does have lower overhead, then he has a chance for an even larger wage if he charges a higher price!

I give up, go quit your job and work at McDonalds.

I can truly see that you are just about the all mighty dollar.

I guess it is time to tell y'all that I am a CPA and my business are the numbers. So when I talk about business expenses, I think I know a bit of which I speak. I have worked for, audited, consulted with and even done some tax work for companies both large and small accross the country. With that said I know companies with locations accross the country do not charge the same at every store as the operating expense vary from location to location regardless of what industry they are in, if you do not believe me goto CNN Money.com and use the cost of living calculator and see for yourself. So one can charge more in one area and lower in another and guess what, the profit is the same. So I still ask why must one charge a higher price when his operating costs are lower?

quote:
And since you're so aware of legalities, did you know it's illegal to use children under the age of 12 in most places to perform labor.

Where did using illegal child labor come into this?

Gentlemen I do want you to know that I do not mean any disrespect for the work that you do. You do things that I could not even dream of. But your idea that what one charges for his services should be the same regardless operating expense is just not sound business judgment and does not reflect of the quality of ones services.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard not being all about the almighty dollar in a world where gas is till 3.99 a gallon and winter is right around the corner with high heating bills. Food prices are soaring, along with everything else in todays market. Every time I raise my prices, I catch shit from people. Well, I got several letters in the mail over the last few months that sounded like this:

"Due to rising fuel costs, and petroleum based products, we're raising our prices ten percent starting immediatley. Thank you for your business."

I got two from my hide paste company in 6 months, one from my tannery, who also goes up every year, and why shouldn't they? Isn't that called inflation? So why don't taxidermists pass the buck. Because they're fools. I hate it when I hear guys say I have no overhead. Bullshit, everyone has overhead. Wether you're in your basement or not, you're spending money to turn a product. It may not be as expensive as the guy with a 6000 sq ft store front, but you still have overhead. I run out of a remodeled 1 car garage and am barely full time, but as far as I know I have the highest prices that I know of in my area and I'm proud of it and I always will. I hear this at least once a week, "boy, you're expensive but you do a good quality job. I've been burned by too many cheap taxidermists, I've learned my lesson. I'd rather pay more money for a good job." If I had a dime for every time I heard that, I wouldn't have to do this anymore Cool

Coming from a guy who I'm sure does well for himself as a CPA, Wether or not you own your own company or work for another, I'm sure you're doing what you do because you like it and make a good living at it and it will benefit you in the end. That's what I'm trying to do. I don't want to just mount bighorn sheep and kudu and elk, I'd like to hunt them also. Minimum wage ain't gonna cut it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want to just mount bighorn sheep and kudu and elk, I'd like to hunt them also. Minimum wage ain't gonna cut it.

I never said you should only earn minimum wage and neither does my taxidermist. He has been to Africa several times, Spain, New Zealand and Alaska that I know of. I do not think he could be doing all that and take care of his family while just earning minimum wage. In fact I do not see how anyone could live on minimum wage.

I also know all businesses have overhead, I never said differently. My agrument is that yours my be X amount, my taxidermist is Y amount and bases his prices on that as I am sure you base yours on your overhead.

Also, I do pay more for my taxidermy than what some other guys I have seen charge. I did not like their work so I did not go with them. Many years ago I did use ones as you refered to before as hobbists and the work showed, I did not know any better then. That is what made me search out the taxidermist I use now.

Good Hunting,

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
For some silly reason, I thought that people posting on this response were either taxidermist or had some vague clue as to what taxidermy entails. Obviously I erred.

Working for the "almighty dollar" in this context is the most ignorant, pompous, arrogant and snide remark I can imagine (with ignorance comine in first). For you people I want you to answer me this: How many of you work for a company that gives either Christmas bonuses, yearly/periodic raises, paid vacations, medical and dental coverage, sick days/maternity leave, contributions to 401K savings or ALL OF THE ABOVE Confused Why don't you ask your taxidermist about that? bull

MOST taxidermist get into the business as a hobby or as they can't afford to pay someone else to do their work. Then they find out how many "friends" they have that want them to do their work for free. It gradually takes over and you figure that in order to build clientele, you'll need to undercut the locals around you. Suddenly, you're overburdened with work and as a part timer, you end up with no life. The shop is driving you but your "friends" don't think about that while they're at the beach or hunting or fishing while you spent YOUR time mounting animals. Finally you reach the understanding that your "friends" and many of your customers are simply leeches with no loyalty to you but to THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR (why should I have to pay for your overhead when you're doing taxidermy in the basement of your home???? -isn't that your true color???). Our suppliers have all those nifty incentives for THEIR workers so every year the price of our supplies goes up, yet we're expected to work at paupers wages in order to be loyal to YOU??? Get a grip.

Then comes the bonehead statement about doing "200 mounts a year". Do you have ANY concept of how long it takes to do a mount? After skinning and skin prep on birds, they may seem faster, but a good bird mount takes the same time as mounting a good deer. The prep work on a deer is obviously longer as the hide needs to be tanned (along with much of the small mammals we get in). Once mounted, the real work begins. The skin has to be constantly "taxied" as it dries. When it's dried, it has to be "finished" with paints and epoxies, mounted with hangers, panels, dioramas, whatever. Each time a new customer comes in, the work has to stop to prep that mount for storage until you can work it. So if you average 1.5 to 2.0 days per mount, you've pushed your year to likely 60 to 80 hours weeks, a 7 day week, 365 days a year. That means no vacation time, no sick time and certainly no benefits that you'll be required to pay for yourself. Kids graduation, new baby in the home, car breaks down? You'll just have to fit that in someplace, won't you?

So you learn that the only way to control your workload, maintain an acceptable lifestyle for you and your family and to keep from working yourself to death is to RAISE THE PRICE. Suddenly, the leeches fall off, but you attract a higher income clientele who have even higher demands and desires than your leeches did. It's a never ending battle to limit your work weeks to "normal" people's lifestyles.

A wise old taxidermist once told me that the best way to have a million dollars from taxidermy was to start out your business with TWO million dollars and work hard for five years.

So if you really want to piss in my Post Toasties, the best way there is to accuse me of "chasing the almighty dollar". While you were out having tea and crumpets with your hoity toity friends, I was gutting a road killed fox for one of your friends who wanted to put it in HIS HUNTING LODGE. thumbdown

RETIRED Taxidermist

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George my response about the almighty dollar was not directed to taxidermists in general. Just to dogcatcher as you can from his response to me it implies a greedy attitude.

quote:
Then that taxidermist really is an idiot! If he really does have lower overhead, then he has a chance for an even larger wage if he charges a higher price!

I give up, go quit your job and work at McDonalds.

Still my whole agrument in this whole thing is why must a taxidermist who has lower overhead charge the same as one who has higher overhead, especially if he is able to cover his costs and bring in the income he needs to support him and his family in the quality of live that he is happy with?

Basically I am done with this thread as no one has even attempted to answer a most simple question as of yet and I seem to just be repeating myself over and over.

Good Hunting,