THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Not Trying to Be Argumentative, Just Want to Understand
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Trying to Be Argumentative, Just Want to Understand
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
As noted in the title, I am not trying to be argumentative or start a tit-for-tat, but really would like to understand. There is a hunt listed for sale that is for a guaranteed 180+ class whitetail. The catch is that the hunt is on a 3000 acre ranch. I presume the ranch is game fenced too. Which leads me to my question, what is the appeal to hunters that book hunts like this, or other hunts like many of those at the hunting shows, for a huge whitetail that has obviously been bred for size and raised on a game fenced ranch? There is clearly a market for these hunts so they obviously appeal to a group of hunters (whom I am sure are dedicated and serious hunters) that are prepared to pay big bucks to go on these hunts, but I would like to understand what the appeal is. Is it simply the bragging rights that they believe come from taking a huge animal regardless of the circumstances? Time constraints where in order to ensure success they have to go on short, relatively sure thing type of hunt? Other? This is not a rhetorical question by the way.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you allowed a torch and a .22WMR??? fishing

better have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a pretty sad state of affairs isn't it? In ancient times being a good hunter meant bringing home food for the tribe. We've allowed the hunting media to pervert the hunting experience so much that guys are willing to assasinate a deer in an enclosure just to become "the big hunter." We've totally forgotten the fact that hunting is/should be about food.

Do you think they'll mention the fence when they tell their big story? I think it's partly because hunting access is such a hard thing for some people to overcome that they eventually have to buy into this shit just so they can feel a bit of the thrill of what hunting should really be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Livestock. Nothing more, nothing less. Frankly, I'd rather have a fork horn or a doe killed under totally free ranging conditions than the biggest mossy horn off a game ranch. Things like this give a lot of ammo for the anti hunters to use against us.

Feel free to disagree, but that's my view.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Spend your money the way you want IMO.....trophy.....no

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
And we actually think that we can prevent the anti's from taking hunting away from us. I do not buy into the whole high fence/Big Bucks for Big $$$$$$ mindset, but at the end of the day, people on both sides of the issue consider that hunting.

You either support gun ownership in all its forms or you don't, same with hunting. If we segregate and are prejudice against one form of hunting, whether it is what the OP is about or long range hunting/traditional archery versus modern archery versus crossbows/huntiong over a bait versus huntring a food plot. No one is asking anyone to like it, but, if we expect to keep hunting as a viable sport we need to back off our elitist attitudes and provide a united front against thje anti's, or stick our collective heads up our arses and give up.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nothing elitist or condescending intended here, I am just trying to understand what makes someone look at that hunt and say, "that is how I want to spend my money". I already acknowledged that the persons doing such a hunt would be probably be dedicated and serious hunters. Just like some folks want to know why someone chooses a double over a bolt, I am just curious what the appeal of a hunt like this is. It is their choice and I respect and defend their choice, just want to understand their choice.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Mike:

These "hunts" sell because whitetail deer hunting success is measured in inches of antler.

There is an obsession with "mine's bigger than yours" whitetail deer in the USA. Whether its deer contests, record books, SCI, TV, or whatever, the fact is that there are scores of hunters (or shooters) that will pay insane amounts of money to shoot the biggest whitetail deer available.

Also, there are many hunters that get exhausted with trying to grow a big whitetail to shoot in their home hunting grounds. Take a guy from Alabama. He leases or buys a small bit of land, and he feeds, plants food plots, lets small deer walk, takes trail cam pictures, enhances his habitat, etc, etc, etc. More often than not, he goes through this process for a decade or so and never manages to even see a big deer on his land, save shoot one. When he's exhausted his capital and his wits and he has failed (in the deer hunter's eyes), he sees a TV show, an ad, or a website advertising these big deer and it starts to look like the only way that he'll ever have a successful deer hunt, ie. get a big deer. So, he books a hunt and goes and shoots one of these mega deer. At that point, maybe he likes it or maybe he does not, but he has a big set of antlers, the modern measuring stick for a good and successful deer hunter.

In the deer hunting world, there are no accolades for the biggest mountain climbed, hardest hunt, etc. It's just inches of antler, period. Until that changes, if ever, the biggest wallets will shoot the biggest pen raised deer in the US.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
180+ pt is a bragging rights hunt.. no matter if its 100,000 acres or 20.. its unnatural in texas...

people are currently paying BIG BUCKS for bicg bucks..

let em..
i'll hunt pigs..

but some guys fly to africa to hunt game that's been professionally stalked and tracked for decades, to select the biggest triphy they can find...

no, i am not equating them.. just pointing out that trophy hunting is trophy hunting...

if i can't eat it, i don't want to kill it, most of the time

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
useful for a pecker pulling contest

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have to ask the question then you will never truly understand any answer given.

You gave the best answer that you will ever get from anyone.

quote:
It is their choice and I respect and defend their choice,

That is all that is neccessary. It is a personal choice based on all sorts of personal concepts anything from ego to bragging rights to???????????

Not meaning to offend you, but I really do not think that it is important to understand or comprehend why other hunters view hunting in a different manner than we do individually.

I have posted this before, but in 2000 when I wa on my Musk Ox hunt I shared a camp with two guys from the Virginia-North Carolina area and they could not understand how setting in a box blind watching a timed feeder could be fun or even considered hunting, yet they felt that standing on a road thru a swamp wing shooting white tail deer with buck shot while the deer were being chased by hounds, which did not flip my trigger one bit, but hey it was their thing and they enjoyed it.

From my experience, trying to understand another persons ideas/concepts/beliefs about hunting by basing them against our own, is impossible.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just because you have no perspective on what the appeal is, seems like others who have responded certainly have a view. I am not looking for the "truth" I am simply asking for "opinions". You have yours, others have theirs. I hardly think that it is impossible to understand or at least acknowledge different perspectives.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
You nailed it CrazyHorse. I support all legal hunting regardless of my personal views. Its true, trophy hunting "freak of nature" animals has become the rage today. As more land becomes corporate or privately owned, the options to hunt for someone who doesn't own his own property are becoming more and more limited. Let's say the options are becoming "fenced in" (pun intended). We have to support each other as all of our preferred methods are questionable. Nobody that doesn't hunt can understand our reasons for hunting. As hunters we understand it but often cannot explain why. Let's not jump on the anti-hunter side because we don't approve or understand a fellow hunter's preferred method of hunting.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of Tea,but its all good!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Mike:

These "hunts" sell because whitetail deer hunting success is measured in inches of antler.

There is an obsession with "mine's bigger than yours" whitetail deer in the USA. Whether its deer contests, record books, SCI, TV, or whatever, the fact is that there are scores of hunters (or shooters) that will pay insane amounts of money to shoot the biggest whitetail deer available.

Also, there are many hunters that get exhausted with trying to grow a big whitetail to shoot in their home hunting grounds. Take a guy from Alabama. He leases or buys a small bit of land, and he feeds, plants food plots, lets small deer walk, takes trail cam pictures, enhances his habitat, etc, etc, etc. More often than not, he goes through this process for a decade or so and never manages to even see a big deer on his land, save shoot one. When he's exhausted his capital and his wits and he has failed (in the deer hunter's eyes), he sees a TV show, an ad, or a website advertising these big deer and it starts to look like the only way that he'll ever have a successful deer hunt, ie. get a big deer. So, he books a hunt and goes and shoots one of these mega deer. At that point, maybe he likes it or maybe he does not, but he has a big set of antlers, the modern measuring stick for a good and successful deer hunter.

In the deer hunting world, there are no accolades for the biggest mountain climbed, hardest hunt, etc. It's just inches of antler, period. Until that changes, if ever, the biggest wallets will shoot the biggest pen raised deer in the US.

+1

Know specifically of a "210" that a slob paid 25K for. They walked this "hunter" up to the pen and said..."you can shoot him in the pen or 10 yards out of the pen, but we are not letting him get away..."

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Mike:

+1

Know specifically of a "210" that a slob paid 25K for. They walked this "hunter" up to the pen and said..."you can shoot him in the pen or 10 yards out of the pen, but we are not letting him get away..."

Jeff

Hope he got is Inner Circle for that one.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I think the biggest thing is where we grew up and the methods employed at that area.

For example, guys who grew up in the west are generally a spot and stalk type of hunter. While where I grew up in Oklahoma, we sat in tree stands over likely travel routes or in my case I set on the edges of alfalfa, wheat and soybean field catching deer fields. Additionally, during certain parts of the season you might be hunting oak groves while acorns are dropping. In Texas, they hunt over feeders, generally, on small lots of property. But, this is what some Texans know/observe deer hunting to be in their region. I lived in Mississippi for over 4 years and several of the guys who I was a on a deer hunting lease with liked to run dogs. I benefitted from them running dogs one morning as I was overlooking a small green field within a grove of pines. The dogs pushed a deer towards my location and I popped her as she stepped out into the green field. It's not my idea of hunting, but I didn't hesitate to smack that doe as I was a poor graduate student at the time.

Additionally, I think the time in which you enter the hunting community also has an effect on what people perceive as "hunting". Some people, who possibly live in a large city, maybe longer in the tooth as others, decide they want to shoot a big buck. They see these shows on the Outdoor Channel and just assume this is how it is done. Therefore, their perception of hunting is much different than a young boy who followed in his daddy's footsteps over hill and dale in the Rocky Mountains chasing public land elk and mule deer.

Personally, I've done just about all of it. I've sat over feeders, spot and stalk, sat in tree stands over likely places to find deer feeding, and even shot a deer that was being pushed by dogs. So for me, I can see both the positives and negatives of all the various types of hunting. For me, if it puts more people, especially young kids, in our sport, then I'm all for every type of hunting!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think safari-lawyer has a lot of it right. Everything in the whitetail world is measured by antler size, whether it is trophy size, QDMA health measurements, etc. There are some people that will never see a deer of that size if they do not go far away from home and pay big $$$ regardless of whether it is fenced or not. After a long time looking at forks, they just want the opportunity and happen to have the money.

Good example, I posted here once a long time ago that I had shot an average 10-point with tines of 7-8". I very soon got a very nice PM form a gent in New York that stated he had been hunting his spot for two years and had yet to even see a buck, let alone a 10-point. He offered me a lot of money to hunt with me. I had to turn him down because of land owner restrictions, but that is one of the types of guys who may buy this type of hunt.

Just an opinion.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it odd that some people will rail on these hunts when they've gone to S. Africa with their 'menu' of animal lists to be taken. I'm not seeing a big difference when they are all fenced in. I've hunt S. Africa so I know.

Now another type of person who'd do this is one who doesn't have $10k for a decent lease in S TX plus another $5k for a trailer to stay in and 30 days of vacation to sit in the stands.

Personally I'm headed to Ft St John, Canada in late Nov. I'll be sitting in a stand for a week in what the outfitter said to be prepared for -30 temps. All in hopes of bagging a bruiser. I did it last year only in early Nov and didn't see much. Of course it didn't hit -30 either. What I'm getting at are some folks just don't want to go to that length to get a nice deer (nevermind the flights, hotels, outfitter costs, etc).

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ROFLMAO!!!! When someone starts a post with "I don't want to start an arguement or a tit for tat", that statement is about as true as "I won't come in your mouth" and the "check is in the mail".
What a troll.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do we know if it is a fenced place???

I have guided hunts in a low fence ranch in South Tx. for a 183" deer. We knew he was there and it still took about a month to kill him. We even did our deer survey from the helo and did not spot him. Killing a mature animal in the brush country is not a slam dunk, fence or not. We offered no guarantees. I personally hunted a 200" deer I had sheds to for 3 years and only saw him one time. This was a 1500 acre low fence ranch. Guys that discount a brush country hunt because it is under a fence have never hunted in the brush country. 300 acres a pen...yes, 3000 acres a pen...no.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think large deer are freaks of nature. I think that there would be plenty of large deer if we didn't shoot them or if they didn't get killed by cars.

I too pay money every year to hunt deer on a certain piece of property. Its called taxes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just because you have no perspective on what the appeal is, seems like others who have responded certainly have a view. I am not looking for the "truth" I am simply asking for "opinions". You have yours, others have theirs. I hardly think that it is impossible to understand or at least acknowledge different perspectives.

The above is a total misconception about what I perceive or do not perceive. These guys grew up hunting deer that way and I fully understand their feelings about that style of hunting. I started my deer hunting catreer in 1970 and until the late 80's all of the deer I kileed were done by spot and stalk and I still enjoy that type hunting, but over the past few years I have accepted hunting from stands watching a feeder and can see why some folks are addicted too it.

You may not see it, but there is a fundemental difference in understanding and acknowledging. Understanding why a person likes to do something requires understanding how that person thinks.

Acknowledging that a person enjoys doing something simply means that it is a given fact, that a person does something in a manner or for reasons that they themselves may not fully understand, but trhey just do it that way.

Perceptions on an issue like this can be wrong and lead to negative conclusions toward an individual or group of individuals which only adds to the inability of hunters to stand up to the anti forces.

If a person enjoys what they consider hunting in a certain manner, as long as it is legal, that is really all that needs to be worried about in my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will celebrate my 41st WT season in S. Texas so I might brag or simply state, BTDT. Started hunting free for many years in the early '70's, and later paid the mordida of a cheap $10/ac for the same free space. Have hunted "ranches" both high/low fence from 300/35,000 ac. fed and not fed, stands and no stands. Heck, the most fun of all is the time/camaraderie gained over a few adult beverages and a fire pit! Yeah, not as mad at them as I used to be! Got my big ones and my little ones but give me a 250-300 lb porker and a loud "thump" and I am a happy camper! Bring on the bow season, yeah glad we can now use crossbow as too many high school football/basketball games have had their impact on the shoulders/arms. Ya'll come on down to S. Texas there are hunts for everyone!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Will celebrate my 41st WT season in S. Texas so I might brag or simply state, BTDT. Started hunting free for many years in the early '70's, and later paid the mordida of a cheap $10/ac for the same free space. Have hunted "ranches" both high/low fence from 300/35,000 ac. fed and not fed, stands and no stands. Heck, the most fun of all is the time/comaradrie gained over a few adult beverages and a fire pit! Yeah, not as mad at them as I used to be! Got my big ones and my little ones but give me a 250-300 lb porker and a loud "thump" and I am a happy camper! Bring on the bow season, yeah glad we can now use crossbow as too many high school football/basketball games have had their impact on the shoulders/arms. Ya'll come on down to S. Texas there are hunts for everyone!

tu2 Plus 1 on that there Sir.

I hunt all year, but live for bow and rifle season. I work my arse off 9 months out of the year. October, November and December are for hunting and the lease. I'm paying for two "working man's" leases in the hill country. I can take 9 deer, as many turkey as I have tags for, hogs, varmints and exotics till my hearts content. However, the most fun as you say is the camaraderie with my buds, and the joy I get from providing an opportunity to hunt for my son and grandson. As to hogs, they provide the perfect test medium for trying out different bullets and are hard to beat the loins and hinds and ribs for excellent table fare.

Hope all ya'll have a safe and enjoyable season

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather "Gus" may well have provided a good example for the reasoning behind the value of this kind of hunt.

Gus was always an outdoorsman and spent many years walking after deer, to the duck blind, behind brittany spaniels for pheasants and quail. In the later years inspite of always staying lean and making exercise a personal priority, Gus couldn't put in the miles to flush wild birds and so had to content himself with farm raised, hand planted pheasants. I and other family members went with him and ofcourse the value was in the sunshine, cameraderie, stories shared of past days afield and good dog work.

Gus lived as a young adult business man thru the Great Depression, so there was just no way in Hell he'd of payed that kind of money for a deer hunt of any kind, but having said and set aside, since at some point he got to the place where he just couldn't pursue free ranging game animals anymore Gus may well have hunted a farm raised deer in addition to the pheasants.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've always loved this question , Mike. To me its simple human nature. Men in particular are driven to compete against each other and virtually all of us do; just in different endeavors where we feel individually competent.

A substantial number of us use money as a measure of our competitiveness and those men will buy a hunt and the trophy is a measure of their commercial success, not their hunting prowess. Others have a different yardstick and measure their worth by the degree of difficulty a task requires to be successful. Same underlying drive, just different expressions of it.

So to me there's no real difference between the purist hunter and his well financed counterpart. Both are doing exactly the same thing in different ways. The disdain they might show for each other's choice is just a continuance of the competition.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years back, I worked for a firm that maintained a membership at one of the local Pheasant farms. At the time, business was crazy, we were working 12-14 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. Any kind of a real hunting trip was out of the question, but it sure was nice to be able to escape the city for a few hours to bang a few birds. I would never mount a pen raised bird, and don't put the same value on this hunt as I do a wild hunt, but when money is plentify, and time is not, these hunts can still provide us an opportunity to get out of the house and into the field.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Mike's question is interesting. I think tiggertate's answer is closest to the truth. Like others here, I'll let you decide the way you like it, but let us all support hunting in whatever form it takes.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:

Perry

Because nobody can claim a sure thing on a buck that big unless it is fenced. Note that the original post states:

quote:
There is a hunt listed for sale that is for a guaranteed 180+ class whitetail.

Can you honestly say that you know any outfitter anywhere that can guarantee a 180+ class buck under totally free range conditions? Because I sure don't and I've been hunting deer for nearly 40 years. Only a fenced property can guarantee this.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flags:
quote:

Perry

Because nobody can claim a sure thing on a buck that big unless it is fenced. Note that the original post states:

quote:

Can you honestly say that you know any outfitter anywhere that can guarantee a 180+ class buck under totally free range conditions? Because I sure don't and I've been hunting deer for nearly 40 years. Only a fenced property can guarantee this.

I know of several ranches in South texas that could do this. One shot (3) deer over 200" in one afternoon. The same ranch routinely culls 160" deer. And to be accurate I don't think they were advertising one particular buck, but I am not sure about that.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Perry

quote:

I know of several ranches in South texas that could do this. One shot (3) deer over 200" in one afternoon. The same ranch routinely culls 160" deer. And to be accurate I don't think they were advertising one particular buck, but I am not sure about that.

Perry

I know there are placs with deer like that. But no outfitter will guarantee shooting one every day. Note it doesn't say there will be a possibility of shooting. Or that a shooting opportunity will come. It guarantees a buck at least 180+. That's a tall order.

I know a ranch that a friend owns in eastern Colorado that has produced over 10 whitetails that would make the book if they were ever scored. The place is crawling with both whitetails and mulies. I know I could take a good buck any day I'd want to really look for one. But a 180+? That's a tall order anywhere, especially if it is free ranging.

Just my .02 cents. But there is no way this isn't a fenced outfit with that guarantee in writing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Perry

quote:

Perry

I know there are placs with deer like that. But no outfitter will guarantee shooting one every day. Note it doesn't say there will be a possibility of shooting. Or that a shooting opportunity will come. It guarantees a buck at least 180+. That's a tall order.

I know a ranch that a friend owns in eastern Colorado that has produced over 10 whitetails that would make the book if they were ever scored. The place is crawling with both whitetails and mulies. I know I could take a good buck any day I'd want to really look for one. But a 180+? That's a tall order anywhere, especially if it is free ranging.

Just my .02 cents. But there is no way this isn't a fenced outfit with that guarantee in writing.

The way I have seen it done is that the guarantee is for a buck (not one) and the hunter can commit to more than one hunting trip throughout the season. I personally would not make that guarantee but it could be done. With the level of nutrition in south Texas bucks typically do not roam very far outside of the rut. If someone was willing to stake out an area that a big buck lived and traveled I think it could be a guarantee deal. Once he is located you would need to get on him before the rut, after a hot doe is around, all bets are off!

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I never understand the jumping to conclusions that always happens on this subject. While it is no doubt true that here are some high fences that are basically pens. They are not all that way.

I hunted for 5 years a 7,000 acres place that was high fenced. The high fence was installed to reduce poaching and increase the quality of the deer herd. The owners purchased genetically superior does that had been artificially inseminated. These does had tags placed in their ears. They could not be shot without a heavy fine.

This place was full of the thickest nastiest stuff you have ever seen. I would guarantee that there are big bucks there. Beyond that , i would not even guarantee that one would see a deer of any sex much less kill one. There were in fact some years that I did not take a buck. This is a damn hard place to hunt. Yet to listen to some people here, it isn't at all ethical. I say bull shit.

Don't jump to conclusions until you know all of the facts. Not all high fences are shooting tame animals in pens.

The guarantee could mean a number of things which once again, we don't have all the facts.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The guarantee could mean a number of things which once again, we don't have all the facts.

No Sir, I live in Texas and when a hunt is described and sold as that one is listed, the only way a person would not get the buck would be to not shoot.

Those guarantees are made for a reason. I have worked on one of those type places and know what I am talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

No Sir, I live in Texas and when a hunt is described and sold as that one is listed, the only way a person would not get the buck would be to not shoot.

Those guarantees are made for a reason. I have worked on one of those type places and know what I am talking about.

You could be wrong, as per my examples.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Here's the post- seems pretty unethical to call it a B&C buck when it's not fair chase and it is definitely guaranteed Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by WorldClassFishingandHunting:
Only Two Hunts left for 2011 with World Class Fishing and Hunting outfitters. Let us guide you on a Guaranteed 180BC or better buck for only $6,500. No daily fees for this 3 day hunt! Lodging included on this 3000 acre Ranch located in South TX approx 1 hr south of San Antonio. Over 40 exotics on the ranch. Fully furnished Hunting lodge located on the ranch. Other deer hunts available on this ranch but this one is a super special. This ranch has a few deer pushing 200BC. Check out our website for other info and price lists or give us a call or e-mail....

quote:
The garuntee is that you will get a 180" or better buck or you will receive a full refund. The ranch is a high fenced...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter54:
Gentlemen,

Here's the post- seems pretty unethical to call it a B&C buck when it's not fair chase and it is definitely guaranteed Roll Eyes
quote:
Only Two Hunts left for 2011 with World Class Fishing and Hunting outfitters. Let us guide you on a Guaranteed 180BC or better buck for only $6,500. No daily fees for this 3 day hunt! Lodging included on this 3000 acre Ranch located in South TX approx 1 hr south of San Antonio. Over 40 exotics on the ranch. Fully furnished Hunting lodge located on the ranch. Other deer hunts available on this ranch but this one is a super special. This ranch has a few deer pushing 200BC. Check out our website for other info and price lists or give us a call or e-mail....

quote:
The garuntee is that you will get a 180" or better buck or you will receive a full refund. The ranch is a high fenced...

I guess everybody's gotta be somewhere.

Having never scored a deer I thought I'd do a google search.

Here's one of the first things that came up.

http://www.deer-hunting-succes..._antler_scoring.html

Who knew there were four ways to score a deer.
My way, if it makes my heart hammer and my hands tremble, that's good enough. Besides, ya' can't eat the horns anyway.

So, whatcha bet when the author of the post in the Outfitters Forum indicated a 180 class B&C, he was using a GASP (generally accepted scoring procedure, to coin an acronym), and was not suggesting that one go through the rigamarole of entering a buck in any type of contest or record book.

Once heard of a tome entitled "Do What you Love, the Money Will Follow". Seems like that is what this outfitter is doing. I don't know him from Adam, but my take is that he is making an offer that is Texas legal, hoping to do "biz" and make a profit. Used to be the American Way. He states the price and gives a guarantee. To me that is a "stand up" way of doing business.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"..with exotics" It's fenced.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless it is on the King Ranch and maybe a couple of other such operations, the majority of "Guaranteed" high B&C point white tails are on high fence properties.

There is a difference between opportunity at and guaranteed.