THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Not Trying to Be Argumentative, Just Want to Understand
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Trying to Be Argumentative, Just Want to Understand
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the guys web-site and it says that it is a high fence operation. It also says that if you don't get your 180" deer in 3 days of "hunting" that he will then take you to the sactuary pen and let you shoot a buck as to fullfil his obligation to you. So in other words if the 180" deer does not come into the feeder in the 3 days that you are there you can shoot one out of a nice little pen.

THis is not hunting but instead it is just shooting a deer. I don't have a problem with someone selling their lifestock to be shot nor do I have a problem with someone wanting to shoot someones lifestock for a price, but don't call it hunting! Call it shooting, killing, or ranching.

As for the people who say that all hunters need to stick together I agree with that to a point. But these people are not hunting, they are ranching. The ranching orginzations should be the ones supporting this, not the hunting ones.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Problem is Reelman, the anti's don't give a fat rats ass about yours, mine or anyone else's opinion of what is or is not hunting.

It Is ALL hunting to them and that is the only opinion that matters to them, because they want it ALL stopped.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of them also want all ranching and animal use stopped also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Problem is Reelman, the anti's don't give a fat rats ass about yours, mine or anyone else's opinion of what is or is not hunting.

It Is ALL hunting to them and that is the only opinion that matters to them, because they want it ALL stopped.

SPOT ON!

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
What I noticed first is the price of a guaranteed 180+ buck has dropped about $1500-$2000. Sign of the economic times, I guess.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
The above referenced hunt is obviously high fenced because of its price. A "real" hunt taking a 180" deer on King Ranch will cost $17,500 these days. To understand a good part of why people pay prices like this read Thorstein Veblen's "Theory of the Leisure Class". In the 21st century, inches of antler are evidence of "predatory prowess" as it has been redefined by the modern world....money and the willingness to pay. When a 180" whitetail hangs on someone's wall today, people don't think "great hunter" or "lucky" anymore like they did 20 or 30 years ago, they think "rich". People get rich by being "economic predators" in a way that Veblen understood 110 years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that response tendrams, that describes the whole situation really well.

It is not a symbol of the perons prowess as a hunter, but a symbol of their economic and I guess associated social status or standing. tu2

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have spent 30 years and ten's of thousands of dollars looking for a 180 buck on private ranches and public land.

Honestly, I would drive my car in the ditch if one was crossing the road just to kill it. AND I would gladly pay the money to hunt 3000 acres of high fence if I had it.

I have earned the right to shoot a big whitetail.

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read Tendrams report with some interest. I have been fortunate to kill two whitetails free range that are Booners. Never entered either and never really considered it. Just happy to have them and I never care to set foot in a fence. I also never payed 5 figures or so to hunt an area. That said last Sunday, I stalked and shot a reasonalbe South Florida 8 point in the rain with my smokepole that gave me just as much pleasure as any whitetal I ever killed. It is a respectable deer for this area but if posted here, the sniggers and derision would be intense. So where do I fit in the economic prowess model?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back up and look at it from a more open minded stanpoint. What I believe tendrams was getting at, was an explanation as to WHY someone would avail themselves of the type hunt being offered.

It has more to do with a persons socio-economic peer group than anything else. Many of the folks that go to such places do so, because they do not have the time or inclination to put forth the work to kill such a buck under normal hunting conditions. It is like the cars they drive, their "Trophy" wives, etc. etc. etc.

If for no better explanation it is a case of "Buying" prestige among one's peer group.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Bwana,

That would put you in the "I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks" category which is exactly where I am at. Big Grin

Crazy Horse is right...I was not implying that this is the "right" way of thinking but only that this is probably at least part of what motivates people to "hunt" this way. As for prestige, Veblen said "The wealth or power must be put into evidence, for esteem is awarded only on evidence".

In Texas, I'll wager a 180" deer on the wall is a pretty good way to scream, "I spent 10K or more so please admire me and know that I have serious money!" That is, of course, not to say that EVERYONE thinks this way who does this sort of thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understood. I guess I never really considered the root cause of such behaviour as I personally rejsect it out right for a bunch of reasons. I do know of individuals that I considered deeply flawed as they can't seem to kill enough numbers and size to fill the hole in their soul.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote